water system in 1974 Boler - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #1

Name: Tara
Trailer: 1974 Boler
British Columbia
water system in 1974 Boler

Hi, I'm new to the boler thing, just bought a 1975 Boler last week, figured out mostly everything on my own but am still having trouble figuring out how the water works... I took a picture of the taps outside the boler (see below)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2141481658.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	49309

I figured out that the bottom tap drains the water from the inside sink so I would have to attach a hose to it to dispose of the used water, but what I want to know is the top tap where u hook up the water at the campground to fill the tank and then use the water pump at the sink to use for dishes and such?

Old 07-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #2

British Columbia
1974 boler 13'

Old 07-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #3

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
The top one goes straight to your faucet. Do you see a tank under the trailer or in either of the rear storage compartments?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #4

British Columbia
I don't see a tank anywhere but there are hoses in the rear storage under one of the benches, I do have a tank that is not attached to anything and apparently the owners before the one we bought it off of had it hooked up somehow but I don't know how... And the lady who we bought it off of never used the sink/faucet/hand pump at all.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #5

Ontario
OK, your tank typically has 4 inlets/outlets. The big one is the filler usually near the top, a small one is a vent also near the top, then there are 2 small ones of which one goes to your tap and the other is to drain the tank are located near the bottom. They may not be all on the same side like this picture, but it will give you an idea.

The Scamp layout is similar to some of the bolers, the fill tube is in black and the line to your hand pump on the sink is purple.

This picture shows the where the tank sits under the bench with the blue and white fill on the right and the small plastic tube running under the rear window to the sink.

This picture shows the vent (top) and drain (bottom) on the other end of the tank.

The last picture shows it all from a different view.

Your lines may be positioned a little differently but almost all tanks follow a similar layout. Have a look at where your lines are and try to position the tank to match the lines.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #6

British Columbia
Thanks "Roy in TO" so much for your help, I think this will help a lot, if I have any further problems I'll let you know. Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #7

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Tara, keep in mind that the city water hook up you currently have in place and the one tap will work without the tank being in place (the hand pump tap will not work though). A lot of small boler owners pull the water tank out to give them more storage space if they always camp at places that have water hook ups. So if you are not planning on camping at a place that doesnt have water hook ups you will not need the water tank in place to do the dishes ;-)

Edit: re filling the tank. Your trailer should have another inlet on it that is separate from the one that the city water hose connection you have pictured that is used for filling the tank.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #8

British Columbia
Thanks Carol for that extra note, appreciate it!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #9

British Columbia
So...I am still unable to figure out my city water connection, I know which inlet is which, but when I hook up the hose to the water tap and inlet no water comes in - it just flows down the side of my 1974 boler.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #10

Ontario
which outlet goes to the sink tap and which one comes from the sink drain?

Either may have a "back check" valve which prevents water from flowing in the wrong direction. Typically a marble or something.

Are there any valves in the water lines on the inside? do the knobs turn on the faucet?

Rereading your initial post you said the bottom one goes to the sink. When I look at the picture, it looks like a female hose end which should be your inlet. I'm wondering if someone installed them backwards after painting the trailer.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #11

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
When I look at the picture, it looks like a female hose end which should be your inlet. I'm wondering if someone installed them backwards after painting the trailer.
Roy it does kind of look that way to me as well. If thats the case OP only needs to switch the hose connections inside the trailer around - the hose that currently goes to the taps should be on the sink drain & the current sink drain hose goes to the taps.

Dont forget to post and let us know what the problem turned out to be!!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #12

British Columbia
Will do, I'm out of town on holidays right now but will let you know when I figured it out next week. Thanks again for the help, appreciate it!

Tags
boler