Water system question for 1991 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Water system question for 1991 Scamp

I have a 1991 13' Scamp, just starting to figure stuff out. I have never used the water system. I see a hookup for "city" water on the outside behind the sink. At the back of the camper is a water input for the tank. I put some water in there, then discovered that next to the tank is a valve that when open, drains the water tank. So, I closed that and filled the tank up with more water.

My sink has two fixtures, one that seems like a normal fixture, and seems to be connected to the city water input. The other have a lever on it, that seems like it could be a pump of some kind, I'm assuming that this is for water from the tank. But I can't get water to come out of that fixture. I've looked to see if there's another valve that needs to be opened but can't find one.

What is the next step? I am wondering if there's a gasket somewhere that needs replacing? A valve I don't know about that needs opening? Some other trick or answer? I'm not a very handy person so don't want to start tearing into things without some guidance.

Thanks in advance for any help!
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I have a 1991 13' Scamp, just starting to figure stuff out. I have never used the water system. I see a hookup for "city" water on the outside behind the sink. At the back of the camper is a water input for the tank. I put some water in there, then discovered that next to the tank is a valve that when open, drains the water tank. So, I closed that and filled the tank up with more water.

My sink has two fixtures, one that seems like a normal fixture, and seems to be connected to the city water input. The other have a lever on it, that seems like it could be a pump of some kind, I'm assuming that this is for water from the tank. But I can't get water to come out of that fixture. I've looked to see if there's another valve that needs to be opened but can't find one.

What is the next step? I am wondering if there's a gasket somewhere that needs replacing? A valve I don't know about that needs opening? Some other trick or answer? I'm not a very handy person so don't want to start tearing into things without some guidance.

Thanks in advance for any help!
The pump switch is on the side of the sink cabinet. No power, check the fuse. You should down load a manual to read up on maintenance like sanitizing the fresh water system too.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #3

Colorado
Is it possible that there is no powered water pump? Because I don't see any switch or anything that even looks like it is a water pump. And the lever on that fixture is long, looks like it would be a lever to manually pump water. But I don't know squat, so I could be wrong.

And I definitely want o sanitize the tank and lines, but need to figure out how to get water flowing through them first!
Old 07-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Yes Dan it is possible that you have no powered pump. If i remember correctly as they come from the factory the ones with the electric pump do not also have the hand pump... If I am wrong someone chime in!!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I know you use to have to prime a hand operated well pump so I would think that you may half to prime your pump.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Scamps with electric pumps only have one fixture, ones with manual pumps have two fixtures, a city water fixture and a manual pump fixture. i have no experience with a manual facet other than maybe needs rebuilding, cleaning to get it to prime
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #7

Minnesota
Registry
From Scamp manual
Water System

Water systems can vary greatly in the Scamp trailer depending upon which unit is used. Every trailer has a 12 gallon fresh water tank located under the right side rear bunk. To fill, open the fresh water fill cap at the right rear of the trailer, and use either a bucket or a hose to fill the tank. The tank has an overflow which will emit underneath the trailer when the tank is completely filled. A 3/8” clear tubing connects the water tank to the water pump to the sink faucet. The sink faucet will either be a hand pump or, if the trailer has a 12 volt demand pump, it will be a pressurized system. The hand pump operates by pumping the handle up and down. This pump will occasionally not work if the seals become dry. If this occurs remove the bottom of the pump by unscrewing it (the clear water supply tube will need to be disconnected). When the bottom of the pump is off, two seals will be visible. It is the lower seal that usually will cause the problem. Lubricate this seal with mineral oil. Also, in the lower part of the pump a marble will be visible. This marble seals up the supply hole in the lower part of the pump. If there is a foreign object interfering with this marble the pump will not be able to hold its prime.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #8

Colorado
thanks Hambone, that gives me a start! I will try that. Not exactly sure what the "bottom of the pump" is, but I at least know that I need to take it apart.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #9

Minnesota
Registry
Dan...I dont have a hand pump so dont really know how they come apart, from top side (doubt it) or from the bottom side of sink flange........then i assume the pump must come apart at the bottom (where the water line connects to pump) and youll see seals, marbles ect
Old 08-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #10

Colorado
Problem solved! Took it apart, lubricated it with a little baby oil (which is pure mineral oil with a wee bit of fragrance, it was all I had in the house!). Works like a charm. Now on to disinfecting!

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Lubrication

Lurker,

In the future you shouldn't use the baby oil. Although its only a small amount, it isn't edible. Best to go to hardware store and get a small tube of food-grade silicone grease. Only costs a couple of bucks and will last much longer. Plus you can use around the house if needed.

As far as sterilization goes, put a 1/4 cup of bleach (unscented) in the 12 gallon tank, fill with water. Pump the choline water mix through the hand pump, just enough so you can smell it. Allow to sit for a few hours. Then drain and fill 3 or 4 times to get the chlorine taste out of the tank, plus fresh water through the hand pump.
jake owsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:12 AM   #12

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
My '84 had an electric pump and water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp