Water tank fiberglass support strength - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #1

Name: Storm
Trailer: Compact Jr
California
Compact Jr Water tank fiberglass support strength

Hello,

Recently bought a 1972 Compact Junior that was missing the fresh water tank. I purchased a 15 gallon tank that I'd like to locate in the storage area under the seat against the outside wall. This placement will put it directly over the fiberglass undershell of the trailer and it will not rest on the wood sheet section that supports the floor. Is this fiberglass section strong enough to hold the weight of a full water tank? If not, any suggestions on adding support?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question Will the new tank be in the same general area as the old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
This placement will put it directly over the fiberglass undershell of the trailer and it will not rest on the wood sheet section that supports the floor. Is this fiberglass section strong enough to hold the weight of a full water tank?
My Compact Jr. had been completely gutted, and the floor was bad, so I pulled out the old floor and installed the new so that it cantilevered from the frame over this area making a full width floor, not just down the center. When I installed my tank it was on this new floor.

Having said that, The old tank must have been in that side area you speak of, do you know where the old tank used to be installed? (Clue: near a fill fitting through the wall)
Old 05-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #3

Name: Storm
Trailer: Compact Jr
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
My Compact Jr. had been completely gutted, and the floor was bad, so I pulled out the old floor and installed the new so that it cantilevered from the frame over this area making a full width floor, not just down the center. When I installed my tank it was on this new floor.

Having said that, The old tank must have been in that side area you speak of, do you know where the old tank used to be installed? (Clue: near a fill fitting through the wall)

Yes I can see the fill tube. My tank is a rectangle shape I don't know the dimensions of the original tank. I can lay my tank in the area under the seat so that the widest side of the tank overlaps some of the center wood flooring (which would provide more support for the tank than just placing it on the fiberglass flooring only), however for storage purposes I'd like to place it so that it lays as close to outside wall as possible. This would place the tank away from the wood flooring with only the fiberglass floor supporting the tank. Both locations are within access to the fill tube. If the fiber glass floor section has enough structural strength to support a full15 gallon tank I'll place the tank on it rather than the wood floor section. What do you think?
Scott
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
I can lay my tank in the area under the seat so that the widest side of the tank overlaps some of the center wood flooring (which would provide more support for the tank than just placing it on the fiberglass flooring only), however for storage purposes I'd like to place it so that it lays as close to outside wall as possible. This would place the tank away from the wood flooring with only the fiberglass floor supporting the tank.

What do you think?
I'm leery of depending on the fiberglass like that. Can you make a plywood deck for the space that "overlaps some of the center wood flooring" just big enough for the tank (front-to-back) and then run a couple of struts from the outside edge of that deck up to connect to the seat's frame? That way the full tank is supported by the floor on the inside and hangs from the seat's frame on the outside edge.