Water tank- save or not? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Water tank- save or not?

I took the water tank out of my Campster (I don't use the faucet or sink, and it allows me more access to storage under the seat.) So my question is- is it worth saving this for a future owner? Or would they be able to replace it easily enough?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
It depends...

I guess it boils down to whether you have spare storage space for something that may not see the light of day for possibly a long time. Here in San Diego I can think of at least 4 different RV supply stores I can (and have) bought a water tank from. But where you live it may be a different story. The trailer would be more readily marketable with it than without it...
Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
? Or would they be able to replace it easily enough?
Depends on the size and shape. Some tanks are very difficult to replace. Do you have the storage space? A tank stores well.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you have the space keep it as Frederick says more marketable with it than without it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:23 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Golly, I could never give up the water tank in our Hunter Compact. We couldn't use the shower, flush the loo, or fill the hot tub when boondocking, without it.

But YES, save it, a trailer without any water is a deal breaker for a lot of future buyers and telling them to go buy a new tank isn't much of a fix.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #6

Registry
I don't really have the storage space but maybe I'll fill it with fresh water and store it in case of emergency- then at least I can justify giving up the space. Though frankly one reason I never used it was the thought of drinking or using water from a tank that had been sitting in a trailer for forty years.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Tanks are easily cleaned and disinfected. Most people drink water from plastic containers these days. The pipes that bring the water into most homes are much older than that.
For example the pipe from the water main to the city shut off valve at the sidewalk of my house is still the lead pipes used in the 40's. They are scheduled to be replaced when the infrastructure budget allows. In other words, when hell freezes over.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It's fairly east to sterilize a water holding tank but, per my Post #5 above, I don't use that tank for drinking or cooking water either.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It's fairly east to sterilize a water holding tank but, per my Post #5 above, I don't use that tank for drinking or cooking water either.
I did sterilize it when I got the trailer, before I decided the water was more trouble than it was worth. But one thing I noticed when I removed it was that draining the tank did not totally empty it, so some water was still standing in the tank even years after I last filled it.

Well, I'll save it if I can find somewhere to stash it.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I did sterilize it when I got the trailer, before I decided the water was more trouble than it was worth. But one thing I noticed when I removed it was that draining the tank did not totally empty it, so some water was still standing in the tank even years after I last filled it.

Well, I'll save it if I can find somewhere to stash it.
I would suggest if you change your mind don't throw it out. There is bound to be some one looking for one. What once was common can quickly become rare. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #11

Registry
If I don't find a place to stash it I'll offer it to someone. But the idea of storing emergency water in it is good, so I think I'll do that. Then it won't feel like wasted space.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've thought about removing the water tank in my trailer. When I am not hooked up to water, I carry jugs.. so the tank isn't used and that space for storage looks appealing.

On the other hand, there's no outside access to the space. And the idea of unmaking the bed or lifting cushions, etc. to get into a small space to get something is even less appealing. I've seen where folks have built a sliding door to get into the under dinette storage, but I really dislike getting down on my hands and knees to root around looking for something. YMMV So, the water tank stays...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Hey Donna, you gonna order your Escape 5.0 TA without water tanks?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'm not familiar with your trailer or your camping style but we find our trailer has plenty of storage space, it just takes a little utilization of what you have. As well we never travel without a half tank of water in our Scamp, more when going into boondocking. We use it for cooking, drinking and the bathroom.

One of the big differences between your 'city or well water' is that you're up close to the trailer's water system. I suspect that if you yearly clean your trailer's water system with a 1/2 cup of bleach that it may be cleaner than your home water system.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Hey Donna, you gonna order your Escape 5.0 TA without water tanks?
Seriously, haven't decided. If I decide NOT, I'd still have it plumbed for a tank. It kinda depends on which side of the trailer the tank is on, truly.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
So, no tank, no bathroom/shower?

baglo
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
So, no tank, no bathroom/shower?

baglo
No, always hooked up. OR jugs of water (just like winter camping)
Old 10-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've thought about removing the water tank in my trailer. When I am not hooked up to water, I carry jugs.. so the tank isn't used and that space for storage looks appealing.

On the other hand, there's no outside access to the space. And the idea of unmaking the bed or lifting cushions, etc. to get into a small space to get something is even less appealing. I've seen where folks have built a sliding door to get into the under dinette storage, but I really dislike getting down on my hands and knees to root around looking for something. YMMV So, the water tank stays...
My bed takes up only 2/3 of the cabin space, so I can open the seats on the last 1/3- removing the water tank now allows me to poke things into that space. (Only longer things or things unlikely to shift during travel, though.) Before, the tank blocked the opening, which allowed me to use only the remaining 1/3.

However, if I had a big trailer with other water needs (other than a too-small-for anything sink) I'd have a water tank.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #19

Under the circumstances you describe and your needs, Bobbie.. maybe removing the tank and using the space would be best for you. It does take up quite a bit of room you may find is more valuable for storage.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
No, always hooked up. OR jugs of water (just like winter camping)
But Donna, when you retire and start to head down south to join some of us who are on limited retirement budgets and camping on the cheap you might find you like want a shower
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote