Water through the Boler spare tire bracket - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #1

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Water through the Boler spare tire bracket

Should I be concerned about possible water entry through the spare tire mounting holes on the body of our Boler 13? I see no rubber grommets or such.
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
Hi Ron, I had the same problem with my Boler. Not only did I have an issue when it rained but the inside had large washers which dripped water from condensation on cooler nights. I ended up taking the bracket off patched the holes and attached a spare tire mount to the back bumper. Easy choice for me because the boler still needs to be painted.
This is an old pic where I had put the mount at the front but I did move it to the back bumper. Looks nicer.
Attached Thumbnails
016.jpg  
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #3

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Tire bracket leaks..

Just wondering if there originally was some kind of rubber grommet or seal on each body entry hole. With the original 43 year old 6.00 x13 tire that I just changed, the threaded rod was horizontal. With the modern 175/80R13 tire, being a tad larger, the rods are up higher at the tire side, leaving a small slope that might lead to water creep/flow down the threads and into the shell. Haven't had it in the rain yet, but was wondering what if!!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:14 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsky View Post
Just wondering if there originally was some kind of rubber grommet or seal on each body entry hole. With the original 43 year old 6.00 x13 tire that I just changed, the threaded rod was horizontal. With the modern 175/80R13 tire, being a tad larger, the rods are up higher at the tire side, leaving a small slope that might lead to water creep/flow down the threads and into the shell. Haven't had it in the rain yet, but was wondering what if!!
A little sealant at the body can't hurt............
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler