waterproofing an awning - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
Posts: 285
Registry
I am having an awning made. it is outdoor polyester fabric but i want to really waterproof it. Can anyone recommend a good product? I am envisioning something like a liquid plastic coating that would seep into the fabric if that exists. Sort of like the white plasticized coating that is on some outdoor products. Any and all tips are appreciated. I'll post pics when it's done. it's going to be gorgeous. (i got the fabric for 3$ p/y )
__________________

__________________
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
I am having an awning made. it is outdoor polyester fabric but i want to really waterproof it. Can anyone recommend a good product? I am envisioning something like a liquid plastic coating that would seep into the fabric if that exists. Sort of like the white plasticized coating that is on some outdoor products. Any and all tips are appreciated. I'll post pics when it's done. it's going to be gorgeous. (i got the fabric for 3$ p/y )
If it's polyester it should be plenty waterproof already(except for the needlmarks)..... If it's acrylic then you can waterproof it more. A Simple test will help.. Hold the fabric up to your mouth and try to blow some air thru the fabric. Polyester won't let any air thru, Acrylic (like sumbrella etc will let air thru).In the large hardware chains (Lowes etc) read the label on one of the thompson water sealer cans and it says to seal canvas....hope this helps some but be careful with the polyester because you can stain it so do a test sample.
Joe
__________________

__________________
Joe and Linda
2013 Casita SD
Dodge Ram 4x4
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
Posts: 285
Registry
Quote:
If it's polyester it should be plenty waterproof already(except for the needlmarks)..... If it's acrylic then you can waterproof it more. A Simple test will help.. Hold the fabric up to your mouth and try to blow some air thru the fabric. Polyester won't let any air thru, Acrylic (like sumbrella etc will let air thru).In the large hardware chains (Lowes etc) read the label on one of the thompson water sealer cans and it says to seal canvas....hope this helps some but be careful with the polyester because you can stain it so do a test sample.
Joe
thanks for that! i wonder if we can get thompsons water seal way up here in the boondocks. i tested it tonight and the water beads at first contact but if rubbed it goes through. maybe my cheap fabric is not such a deal after all??? the local marine place sells a waterproof spray that is supposed to be the best, maybe i should splurge on a the 27$ per bottle to test it. If it doesn't work then i am further adding to my 'mistake' bill, which is so far only 50$ they have a nice acrylic for 27 p/y but then I'm heading in the spending a lot of money on an awning direction which i wanted to avoid. Yet, i don't want a low cost awning that wont keep out the water. What to do? What to do? i will check tomorrow if anyone here carries it. they should, it's a name brand product, but there is so many things that aren't available in Canada it's ridiculous.
__________________
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Chester Taje's Avatar
 
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Posts: 4,897
Thompsons water seal is sold in Canada. I get mine at Home Hardware.
__________________
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Posts: 1,043
Cyndi.... Your material is doing exactly what it's supposed to do (It don't sound like cheap material) back in another life when i used to fabricate boat tops i preferred the ones that you could breathe thru (cotton duct, acrylic etc) and here's what happens........ when it's dry the material can breathe and it dries out real nice and prevents mildew because it's breathing...... but when it gets wet the material swells and it becomes waterproof and then when it stops raining it dries and the poors in the material open up again to breathe..... I used this alot on full bow to stern boat covers because this way everything underneath the cover doesn't get all wet from condensation (polyest is bad for full covers for extended periods)and rust things under there or promote mildew. Try it in a rainstornm or two before waterproofing it further as you may be happy just the way it is.
Joe
__________________
Joe and Linda
2013 Casita SD
Dodge Ram 4x4
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
Posts: 285
Registry
Quote:
Thompsons water seal is sold in Canada. I get mine at Home Hardware.
thanks. i looked it up and found it at rona too. i will hopefully will pick it up today.
__________________
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
Posts: 285
Registry
Quote:
Cyndi.... Your material is doing exactly what it's supposed to do (It don't sound like cheap material) back in another life when i used to fabricate boat tops i preferred the ones that you could breathe thru (cotton duct, acrylic etc) and here's what happens........ when it's dry the material can breathe and it dries out real nice and prevents mildew because it's breathing...... but when it gets wet the material swells and it becomes waterproof and then when it stops raining it dries and the poors in the material open up again to breathe..... I used this alot on full bow to stern boat covers because this way everything underneath the cover doesn't get all wet from condensation (polyest is bad for full covers for extended periods)and rust things under there or promote mildew. Try it in a rainstornm or two before waterproofing it further as you may be happy just the way it is.
Joe
Thanks for the insider information. My concern was that it only beaded and went through and wet the fabric when touched. It is the roof so i want a good watertight seal. i also don't want to pay the $ to have it sewn if it cant be made waterproof b/c that would be a waste of money. if it leaks i will have to try again with new fabric, wasting the labor money. I have all my hopes and dreams pinned on thompsons water seal right now. i feel positive that it will do the job. FINGERS CROSSED! i will find out today hopefully. On a helpful note- if anyone out there is having trouble with their awning support i found the local mountain equipment store sells tent poles individually. I bought 10 feet worth and it fits my rail perfectly. Bonus that they fold up too! I will post that later when i reveal the entire mod. I am not too worried about condensation b/c it is the top and the sides are open but covered with a 10x10 bug net. I cant wait till this is done. Thanks again.
__________________
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:44 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
Posts: 285
Registry
sigh. i did the Thompson's test on a X patch and it sort of worked. the water beaded quite well but soaked through when touched. Plus, the fabric now stinks like gasoline. back to the drawing board. i am now thinking of either a more expensive fabric, somehow sewing a real tarp on the underside, or sewing a real tarp into an awning and using the appropriate paint to put the fancy awning stripes on it. HMMMM????? Any thoughts? The paying 500US for a new proper one isn't a good option right now.
__________________
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
sewing a real tarp on the underside, If you do that your inviting mildew to get trapped in between
vinyl/polyester is best for awnings because moisture cannot get trapped underneath as opposed to say covering a complete boat etc.
Before spending more money take a hose and set it up to lightly spray the top of the awning for about an hour and see if it drips on the underside(may be damp to the touch but shouldn't drip)..... it shouldn't after the fabric swells. Sunbrella acrylic that is breathable is one of my most favorite and expensive fabrics on the market and acts like that. the benefit of a product that breathes is it dries really quick and eliminates mildew if stored properly.
If you do get a new awning be sure to use the test to see that you cannot breathe thru it as i stated in a previous test and unless the seams are elecrtronically sealed the needle holes could now leak
Joe
__________________
Joe and Linda
2013 Casita SD
Dodge Ram 4x4
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
Posts: 285
Registry
Quote:
vinyl/polyester is best for awnings because moisture cannot get trapped underneath as opposed to say covering a complete boat etc.
Before spending more money take a hose and set it up to lightly spray the top of the awning for about an hour and see if it drips on the underside(may be damp to the touch but shouldn't drip)..... it shouldn't after the fabric swells. Sunbrella acrylic that is breathable is one of my most favorite and expensive fabrics on the market and acts like that. the benefit of a product that breathes is it dries really quick and eliminates mildew if stored properly.
If you do get a new awning be sure to use the test to see that you cannot breathe thru it as i stated in a previous test and unless the seams are elecrtronically sealed the needle holes could now leak
Joe
do you mean a vinyl/polyester blend or one or the other? It's not even sewn yet, just a roll of fabric that i am having doubts over. it is an outdoor polyester, water does bead on it quite well but soaks through when rubbed lightly. i am 1/2 scared to make the investment in the sewing labor b/c i know it will need to be really waterproof for rain. Maybe i should just do it and get it over with. there must be some product out there that i can spray on it to increase the water proofing. The thompsons worked fairly well, it just stinks like gasoline so i dont want to use it.
__________________
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Posts: 1,043
A vinyl coated polyester is what i am referring to....... something that does not breathe. there are so many products out there that it's hard to just recommend one..... look at anybodys awning on their rv that came from the factory and that is a vinyl coated polyester. I have used the following link many times with great success and they will thoroughly answer all your questions too. good company they are. Anything you could need for the job is available at this place
Joe

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Textile...bric/index.html

This is probably more of what your looking for because they are welded panels and have no needlemarks to leak:Be sure to fold your fabric over on the edges before sewing for added strength
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Textile...nels/index.html
__________________
Joe and Linda
2013 Casita SD
Dodge Ram 4x4
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
Posts: 285
Registry
Quote:
A vinyl coated polyester is what i am referring to....... something that does not breathe. there are so many products out there that it's hard to just recommend one..... look at anybodys awning on their rv that came from the factory and that is a vinyl coated polyester. I have used the following link many times with great success and they will thoroughly answer all your questions too. good company they are. Anything you could need for the job is available at this place
Joe

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Textile...bric/index.html

This is probably more of what your looking for because they are welded panels and have no needlemarks to leak:Be sure to fold your fabric over on the edges before sewing for added strength
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Textile...nels/index.html
thanks a lot! I looked at similar fabric here for 24$ p/y so if they will ship here that will be a great savings. I wonder if they would put the skirt around it?????
__________________

__________________
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bag Awning vs. Regular Awning Pamela S. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 05-21-2010 10:09 AM
adding Awning rail and awning to Surfside ericmarlo Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 06-16-2008 12:01 AM
Another Awning Jackie Modifications, Alterations and Updates 13 09-22-2006 01:14 PM
Waterproofing & Sealing the Bottom Lindy Auble Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 10 05-05-2006 07:53 PM
Which awning? Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 18 08-05-2003 08:42 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.