Waxing at a DIY car wash - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #1

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Burro 13 ft, 1984
Massachusetts
Waxing at a DIY car wash

I need to wax my 1984 Burro and I'm wondering whether it's OK to take it to one of those car wash places that has a spray-on wax feature. My friend with a vintage sports car uses it and it sounds a lot easier than applying several coats of some kind of floor wax. Any suggestions?? Thanks! (I love this forum!!)
wenrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, I suppose it depends on your expectations and how bad the trailer needs a good coat of wax to begin with. You know those spray-on wax jobs "wash" off, right?

I think the quality of the wax job is usually in direct proportion to the amount of effort expended. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I've found that the spray on wax applied at a car wash is no substitute for a real coat of wax . I wash and apply a coat of Nu Finish to my trailer about 3 times a year . In between coats of Nu Finish , I simply wash the trailer with a mild car wash soap.
I kind of enjoy spending a nice afternoon outside waxing my trailer
It's sort of cathartic for me but to others it is just work.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #4

Massachusetts
I'm traveling and in a bit of a time crunch right now, is there any problem with doing the car wash wax and then when I'm home do a proper job with real wax? Especially if the spray wax washes off I wouldn't think it would interfere. My friend is ready to help me at the car wash so I'm thinking that's what I'll do. Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #5

NW Wisconsin
Armor All - Barret Jackson - Turtle Wax ETC. make a car wash with wax. Mix the soap / wax with water according to the directions on the bottle, wash ,rinse and dry the trailer . The wax will last until the next rain. I've used the Barret Jackson , does a good job of removing dirt and doesn't spot as bad as some of the others. Turtle wax also makes a car wash / wax that does not require rinsing, just
wash and dry. If you can wash your vehicle ,you can wash your trailer .The wash and wax won't harm anything but it will offer little if any protection for your trailers gel coat
Old 04-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
When I'm traveling I use the Wax feature of the pressure wash system. When at home I usually wash and wax a couple times during the year. Any waxing is better than none, in my opinion.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Any waxing is better than none, in my opinion.
TRUTH!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #8

Massachusetts
We went to the car wash and did the wash/wax so now the trailer is clean(er) but still not shiny. It does need a good proper waxing - I'll definitely do that when I get home. Thanks again for all the answers - it's so helpful to have you all to ask questions of!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:07 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
3M sells a line of marine waxes and refinishing products for removing oxidation.
Not cheap, but they work.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
We applied 5 coats of Zep to our Trillium last summer, but when we arrived in FL this winter we barely recognized the trailer covered with road dirt, road salt, etc! (attached photo includes sheets of ice)
First stop in FL was the DIY car wash!!
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20160120_025.jpg  
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:26 PM   #11

Massachusetts
So many waxes to choose from! I have a gallon of Redmax Pro that a generous fellow Burro owner gave me, maybe I'll start with that.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:22 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
We applied 5 coats of Zep to our Trillium last summer, but when we arrived in FL this winter we barely recognized the trailer covered with road dirt, road salt, etc! (attached photo includes sheets of ice)
First stop in FL was the DIY car wash!!
Had to chuckle with your post John. I was born in Mich and avoid snow like the plague and remember my car looking like that. I use the Zep also but it only lasts 2 years here in the desert. Using Zep's stripper full strength and 5 coats of Zep it shines up nice. I don't clean it during any trips other than possibly a soft brush or rag to get most of the dust off. Bugs will have to wait till we get home. I may look at it different than other members here, I call it using your trailer for what it was made for. Road rash/chips and dirt happens. Can't say that any of that has stopped anybody from asking to see it because it was a bit dirty. But for the OPs question, stopping at a DIY car wash I wouldn't bother with the wax mode if you had a decent coat on it when you started out. But as they say, YMMV.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:46 AM   #13

NW Wisconsin
I've spent many a nice summer day camping and waxing my trailer.
Sitting around in a lawn chair making idle conversation makes me feel like the day was wasted. Unlike Borrego Dave , I like my trailer to look clean and shiny sans chips but I also like snow so my thinking may be slightly demented. Zep may last only 2 years in the desert but that's 2 years longer than me. The temperatures here are getting into the 50's and fast approaching my high temperature limit.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #14

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Hot weather

I'm with you Steve ,I enjoy snow & dislike really hot weather . Jim from nw Il.
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote