way cool Batwing awning info - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-06-2015, 10:39 PM   #15
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Originally Posted by rrank View Post
Not a scientist Mike, but the point of using a bag of stones INSTEAD of staking the poles is to give it buoyancy! Try it it's amazing. We have hooked the ropes under the camper so we could still be away from the sleeping kids in a torrential rain storm.
I understand that, but still at some point the wind speed could become high enough to overcome the system weight and push the whole thing upward disastrously. I'm just wondering what that wind speed would be. After all, the batwing awning would make a splendid sail (for a few seconds before it got destroyed) if it were lifted too high by a gust. Storm gusts of 50 to 70 mph are not rare; would this awning survive such a gust, I wonder?

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #16
Name: Robert
Trailer: Trail-Mite 13"
Mike, the only time we took it down was while camping lakeside in the 'constant' 'continuous' lake effect wind because it never seemed to touch the ground. But in a campground you're protected to some degree. Point is, last season we saw 2 'metal crankers' get bent on one side or the other because of being hard lined as opposed to our stone bag buoyancy! You're gonna love it, plus it's an attention getter, you'll be the talk of the campground and get many compliments.

rrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #17
Name: Robert
Trailer: Trail-Mite 13"
It does appear to be white but my wife says it's silver. The new owners picked it up last night so I'll never win my wife's one dollar color bet! Maybe it was faded over the years. Maybe the new owners of Matilda will become FRV members and have the answer. As for us, spent last evening looking for a vintage canned ham site/club comparable to this Fiberglass site but it seemed as though you have to be a female who owns 8 or more cats and enjoys everything '50's Diner style. Just saying
rrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #18
Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Originally Posted by CliveAlive View Post

Is your awning silver? It looks white on my monitor but white is not listed on the Shadyboy site!

"Colors - Sky Blue, Mountain Blue, Burgundy, Silver (optional)"
They also picture a green one. Perhaps these colours are not presently available. Would be worth asking if you were to order.
1969 Boler
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #19
Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
North Carolina
We had a Shady Boy awning on our Boler and loved it. Pix here: Awning for 2011 scamp 13'. The stones idea is interesting. In windy conditions we used the custom poles and attached them to ground stakes with a bungee cord inline. Worked well in pretty high winds, though I don't know the exact velocity. Probably helps that there's a gap between the awning and the camper to release pressure.

One of our awning connectors broke and the vendor sent us a new one at no charge. Great service!

neparker is offline   Reply With Quote