Weep hole leaks on Casita? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
This seems to me to be such a basic problem I am surprised I can’t find it discussed somewhere.

When we are driving on the interstate when it’s raining, then stop, there is water leaking in our side windows. Usually just gets the dining table, but more recently the bedding.

I cannot make this happen with the trailer in the driveway, and I don’t think it happens when it rains and the trailer is standing still. The only exception is that if we have been on the highway and then camp, it continues to come in, but I think this is the capillary path established on the highway continuing to bring in rain.

My guess is that the trucks that pass us throw up a lot of water and it comes in through the weep holes on the windows.

I know that having to reseal the windows is a common problem, but they look well sealed to me, and as I mentioned, I can run the hose on them pretty aggressively and nothing leaks in.

I figure some electrical tape can solve this problem, though maybe there is a more elegant solution. But more importantly, I want to know if you think my diagnosis makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

Dan of SanDan
sandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I had a similar problem. I don't know if its the trucks your passing but I feel its just that by driving in a good rain will do it. I do know that the rain was coming in the weep holes. What i did was to stuff paper towel in window ledges when i was driving in rain and that soaked up the water. I never did find a proper solution.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
If water is coming in through the weep holes then I think you are creating a vacuum in the trailer when you are towing.

The usual suspects that create a vacuum is any opening at the rear of the trailer or a rear-facing vent (typically on the roof) that is left open or partially open.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #4

"The usual suspects that create a vacuum is any opening at the rear of the trailer or a rear-facing vent (typically on the roof) that is left open or partially open."

I agree with you, a vacuum would be a good explanation, but I don't see it in our case. We're very, very careful that the roof vents and windows are closed before we pull out, wet or dry weather. The stove vent doesn't make a perfect seal but it's pretty good.

It almost seems as if the aerodynamics are drawing the water that should run down the outside of the Casita upward and into the weep holes.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Do your Weep Holes have Weep Hole Covers?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
hummm the weep holes in the windows in my Scamp are in the track in the frame. The only way the weep holes would have anything to do with water intrusion through the window is if they're plugged which allows the track in the frame to load up with water which MAY cause the window to leak where it slides.

Have you cleaned the weep holes out with weed whacker cord?? I wouldn't use black electrical tape on the window... in the heat it gets sticky and you'll end up with a gooey mess to clean up after it quit sticking.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #7

Frederick: thanks for the pointer to the weep hole covers. Does anyone know if these are a standard-size thing? In any case, it wouldn't be too expensive to try 'em.

Donna: I really think they're clean. I found that my ignition key does a great job of cleaning 'em out (don't know what it's doing to my ignition switch).
Old 06-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Does anyone know if these are a standard-size thing?
There USED to be 2 types available:
  1. short wide ones (Like in the link) for long weep slots
  2. tall skinny (actually square) ones for short weep slots
I cannot find the 2nd type anymore, which fit my Fiber Stream.

Tags
casita, leaks, weatherproofing, window leaks