Weigh Trailer Using 2x4/Bathroom Scale??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Part of me is tempted to go buy a scale and check mine now, even though its torn apart. 2000 just seems light to me.
If you're talking about that Scamp fiver, I have to say I agree with you! 2,000 pounds seems light to me.

Per accuracy:

Since I have two ramps, I think my plan would be to put both wheels on the ends at the same time, the "no-scale" side propped on a board or something of the same height...unless I can borrow a second scale, in which case I could weigh both sides at the same time. I'd probably also raise the tug/hitch point, too, so it's all level- lynx levelers would work O.K. to do that. Or I s'pose I could just measure the ball height and be sure to weigh the tongue at that level.

I think the hardest thing is going to be backing the trailer that short distance up the ramp without the whole shootin' match skidding away on the shop's concrete floor.....

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #22

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I just jack it up and slide the setup under. Much easier. I usually leave the trailer hitched up to the vehicle when doing so, also.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #23

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Note that my post #8 prefigures Jared's ideas about jacking up and inserting the beam/pier contraption. Great minds--hhmmmm. Just be careful and really think about what Jared and old worrywart me have said about having the tow vehicle as an anchor. If you do the thing with two beams and two scales, don't worry about level fore and aft, please.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Francesca,
Just wait for your husband to come home!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Francesca,
Just wait for your husband to come home!!

If you think things are complicated now...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #26

Delaware
Francesca, the feller in the Escape is right. Nothing wrong with thinking thru the principle involved and the method and apparatus required and sequence but a segmented scale like CatScale tells all for 10 dollars and a few moments off the ball. No smashed limbs; no worries.

jack
Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Seems like a lot of trouble and damaged back when a short trip to a truck stop and $10 to $15 would do the job. Here in Oregon on the rural roads where scales are installed many are active 24/7. I just drive onto one of them and read the numbers. I can mess around a weigh each wheel if I want.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #28

Registry
This might help Certified Public Scale Locator

or this CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale

or this Truck Scales and Weigh Stations Locator for Truck Drivers and Trucking Companies at Truckstops

Sure beats hurting yourself.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #29

Kansas
Why would you hurt yourself jacking up a trailer? Do you hire somebody to change flat tires? None of those is within 40 miles of me, either.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Why would you hurt yourself jacking up a trailer? Do you hire somebody to change flat tires?
Obviously you didn't look at the link provided earlier. Using pipes or 2x4s and fulcrum. Then lifting on the end to get a weight change on a bathroom scales is not the easiest on your back. As for changing tires, yes I do hire somebody to change flat tires. AAA, and the local tire shop. I haven't changed a tire myself in several years.

If I can the vehicle to the tire shop, they'll fix the flat and put the tire back on. If I can't I already pay AAA for roadside services.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #31

Kansas
We already discussed how sketchy that was. Setting it on a scale and a board isn't sketchy, and would take less time to weigh the trailer than it would to even get to a scale.

The closest scale in the links you posted is 40+miles from me. I'm sure I could find one, but it seems jerky to ask a company to weigh my trailer and hold somebody up.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
We already discussed how sketchy that was. Setting it on a scale and a board isn't sketchy, and would take less time to weigh the trailer than it would to even get to a scale.

The closest scale in the links you posted is 40+miles from me. I'm sure I could find one, but it seems jerky to ask a company to weigh my trailer and hold somebody up.
"JERKY"??? Come on now. It's no more jerky than to purchase anything else. Those scales charge around $10.00 to $15.00, and the scale's accuracy is certified traceable to NIST.

Also on your way to some camping destination you most like drive past one these places. A quick 5 minute stop gives you real world weights.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #33

Kansas
Those scales aren't within over 40 miles of me, like I said. I would have to ask the dump, a grain elevator, or trucking company to weigh my camper, which I do consider jerky, yes.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #34

Delaware
Everybody would agree (maybe?) that a good time to weigh is when loaded like you're going somewhere. I find that I'm usually loaded that way when I AM going somewhere. Weighed at a TA in Greencastle, PA while on vacation in October. Greencastle is 144 mi. from my patch. Somehow I managed to get there and get weighed and it was about 300 yd. out of my way. No queue to weigh while I was on the scale late AM. One rig pulling up as I pulled away. I also think some courtesy is owed to truckers but your dollars spend just like theirs. Know what you're going to do in terms on what axle on what platform, make clear on the intercom that you're going to unhitch to get t/w, hitch up and go get your ticket.

jack
Old 11-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #35

Kansas
My main reason is if it truly is under 2,000 (doubt it), I don't need to license it. If I don't have to license it, this state can't rip me off for yet more property taxes…
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I also think some courtesy is owed to truckers but your dollars spend just like theirs.

jack
Getting your trailer weighed (IMHO) is one of the best things you can do.

I work for a major transportation company and while I agree my money spends just like a truck drivers, I'm on vacation... even if a weekend jaunt. They're trying to earn a living and I'll give a truck driver every possible courtesy. If I'm delayed getting to a campsite because some driver needs to get back on the road... so be it. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #37

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Here's another way to weigh a trailer. Only tools needed are a ruler and tire pressure gauge.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/...ght/index.html
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #38

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTim View Post
Here's another way to weigh a trailer. Only tools needed are a ruler and tire pressure gauge.

Tired Weight: Math & Mechanics Science Activity | Exploratorium Science Snacks
Now that is something for Mythbusters to prove/disprove!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #39

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTim View Post

Tired Weight: Math & Mechanics Science Activity | Exploratorium Science Snacks
That, to use the technical term, is utter drivel. Tires hold up weight because the air pressure inside holds the tyre carcass in shape and the tyre carcass takes much of the load. Tyre pressure times contact patch is not the load.

On all these beam, pivot and scale techniques, you have to remember that they only work if the height isn't changed much by the measuring device. If you raise one wheel of your trailer by 6", or even 3", the weight on that wheel will reduce as some weight will have been transferred to the 'downhill' wheel.

That complex example of weighing a boat on its trailer overcame the problem by raising both sides at once.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #40

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
That, to use the technical term, is utter drivel. Tires hold up weight because the air pressure inside holds the tyre carcass in shape and the tyre carcass takes much of the load. Tyre pressure times contact patch is not the load....
It is not as ridiculous as you may believe. In my work (which is in an engineering field), I have on a number of occasions estimated the weight of fully loaded 300 ton mine haul trucks using tire pressure and an estimate of the contact area between the tire and soil. For rv trailer size vehicles, this method is likely to provide poor accuracy due to stiffness of tires and difficulty accurately measuring the true contact area. The bathroom scale method has its own issues relative to accuracy.

Personally, I would make a trip to a commercial scale for weighing my trailer and TV.

Dave

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote