Weigh Trailer Using 2x4/Bathroom Scale??? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #29

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Why would you hurt yourself jacking up a trailer? Do you hire somebody to change flat tires? None of those is within 40 miles of me, either.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #30

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Why would you hurt yourself jacking up a trailer? Do you hire somebody to change flat tires?
Obviously you didn't look at the link provided earlier. Using pipes or 2x4s and fulcrum. Then lifting on the end to get a weight change on a bathroom scales is not the easiest on your back. As for changing tires, yes I do hire somebody to change flat tires. AAA, and the local tire shop. I haven't changed a tire myself in several years.

If I can the vehicle to the tire shop, they'll fix the flat and put the tire back on. If I can't I already pay AAA for roadside services.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #31

Kansas
We already discussed how sketchy that was. Setting it on a scale and a board isn't sketchy, and would take less time to weigh the trailer than it would to even get to a scale.

The closest scale in the links you posted is 40+miles from me. I'm sure I could find one, but it seems jerky to ask a company to weigh my trailer and hold somebody up.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #32

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
We already discussed how sketchy that was. Setting it on a scale and a board isn't sketchy, and would take less time to weigh the trailer than it would to even get to a scale.

The closest scale in the links you posted is 40+miles from me. I'm sure I could find one, but it seems jerky to ask a company to weigh my trailer and hold somebody up.
"JERKY"??? Come on now. It's no more jerky than to purchase anything else. Those scales charge around $10.00 to $15.00, and the scale's accuracy is certified traceable to NIST.

Also on your way to some camping destination you most like drive past one these places. A quick 5 minute stop gives you real world weights.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #33

Kansas
Those scales aren't within over 40 miles of me, like I said. I would have to ask the dump, a grain elevator, or trucking company to weigh my camper, which I do consider jerky, yes.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #34

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Everybody would agree (maybe?) that a good time to weigh is when loaded like you're going somewhere. I find that I'm usually loaded that way when I AM going somewhere. Weighed at a TA in Greencastle, PA while on vacation in October. Greencastle is 144 mi. from my patch. Somehow I managed to get there and get weighed and it was about 300 yd. out of my way. No queue to weigh while I was on the scale late AM. One rig pulling up as I pulled away. I also think some courtesy is owed to truckers but your dollars spend just like theirs. Know what you're going to do in terms on what axle on what platform, make clear on the intercom that you're going to unhitch to get t/w, hitch up and go get your ticket.

jack
Old 11-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #35

Kansas
My main reason is if it truly is under 2,000 (doubt it), I don't need to license it. If I don't have to license it, this state can't rip me off for yet more property taxes…
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #36

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I also think some courtesy is owed to truckers but your dollars spend just like theirs.

jack
Getting your trailer weighed (IMHO) is one of the best things you can do.

I work for a major transportation company and while I agree my money spends just like a truck drivers, I'm on vacation... even if a weekend jaunt. They're trying to earn a living and I'll give a truck driver every possible courtesy. If I'm delayed getting to a campsite because some driver needs to get back on the road... so be it. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #37

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Here's another way to weigh a trailer. Only tools needed are a ruler and tire pressure gauge.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/...ght/index.html
Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #38

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTim View Post
Here's another way to weigh a trailer. Only tools needed are a ruler and tire pressure gauge.

Tired Weight: Math & Mechanics Science Activity | Exploratorium Science Snacks
Now that is something for Mythbusters to prove/disprove!!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #39

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTim View Post

Tired Weight: Math & Mechanics Science Activity | Exploratorium Science Snacks
That, to use the technical term, is utter drivel. Tires hold up weight because the air pressure inside holds the tyre carcass in shape and the tyre carcass takes much of the load. Tyre pressure times contact patch is not the load.

On all these beam, pivot and scale techniques, you have to remember that they only work if the height isn't changed much by the measuring device. If you raise one wheel of your trailer by 6", or even 3", the weight on that wheel will reduce as some weight will have been transferred to the 'downhill' wheel.

That complex example of weighing a boat on its trailer overcame the problem by raising both sides at once.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #40

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
That, to use the technical term, is utter drivel. Tires hold up weight because the air pressure inside holds the tyre carcass in shape and the tyre carcass takes much of the load. Tyre pressure times contact patch is not the load....
It is not as ridiculous as you may believe. In my work (which is in an engineering field), I have on a number of occasions estimated the weight of fully loaded 300 ton mine haul trucks using tire pressure and an estimate of the contact area between the tire and soil. For rv trailer size vehicles, this method is likely to provide poor accuracy due to stiffness of tires and difficulty accurately measuring the true contact area. The bathroom scale method has its own issues relative to accuracy.

Personally, I would make a trip to a commercial scale for weighing my trailer and TV.

Dave

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #41

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Donna, your excerpt of my post above is a bit short. I'm sure you meant to include this also:

Quote:
No queue to weigh while I was on the scale late AM. One rig pulling up as I pulled away.]
I'd say there are only two possible courtesies one could show commercial drivers in this situation: 1) decline to queue up or enter the scale at a moment of heavy demand, 2) avoid delay to another user by doing the weigh efficiently. I did not need to make a decision about demand because there wasn't any. I attempted to get my weights quickly and efficiently. I did not have to move trailer as axle and tongue on separate platforms and I had only to lift off ball for the t/w, drop it again and drive off the scale. The driver who came up drove directly onto the scale.

It may not always be possible to be courteous without some inconvenience to oneself (or even others). It's certain that I had the optimum situation. I wish you the same good fortune.

And I'm glad you agree with me.

jack
Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #42

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I do agree with you Jack and am glad I live in a state where the highway scales are typically left on, even if the scale station is closed and all are welcome to weigh trailers or tugs or motorcycles or... for free.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote