Weighed my Scamp yesterday - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
Weighed my Scamp yesterday

Well, took my "new" Scamp ("sweet 16") over to the local gravel pit... the Jeep (full fuel) dog, me, Scamp (two full propane tanks, size 24 battery and 6 gal of water.. nothing else except for a pair of reading glasses and two screw drivers) came to 6440#. Took the Scamp home, came back and weighed the Jeep with the dog and I aboard as before... 4240. Scamp = 2200# which seems a bit heavy... even subtracting the weight of the water.
The day before I checked the tongue weight with my bathroom scale... 325#
So... it is what it is, just seems like "sweet 16" is a bit on the heavy side! ... but I still love her!

(Dog weighs 80# and I weigh 150# for those who care.. )

Old 03-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
When I weighed my 16 3 years ago with a solar panel, group 27 battery, 2 propane tanks and a full water tank it weighed a little over 2500 lbs.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Jack total weight doesnt seem to far off. Which model do you have - the front bath? Do you have an AC on the roof? Those and the second propane tank will push your tongue weight up.

My 16' normally weighs in fully loaded up for camping at between 2500lbs and 2600lbs including the tongue weight. No AC no water in it other than a gallon or so in the head. One propane tank and a group 27 battery and a solar panel. Its a side bath model.

Glad to hear thought that you still love it though!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #4

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Jack total weight doesnt seem to far off. Which model do you have - the front bath? Do you have an AC on the roof? Those and the second propane tank will push your tongue weight up.

My 16' normally weighs in fully loaded up for camping at between 2500lbs and 2600lbs including the tongue weight. No AC no water in it other than a gallon or so in the head. One propane tank and a group 27 battery and a solar panel. Its a side bath model.

Glad to hear thought that you still love it though!
Carol, yes I have front bath but no AC. Also have two propane tanks but the group 24 battery.

Am contemplating switching to a single "see through" fiberglass propane tank and perhaps a group 27 battery. Maybe a solar panel? Do you have one mounted on the roof? What kind and how big?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Jack the front bath and the two propane tanks are most probable why your tongue weight is higher than what mine weighs in at when its loaded up.

Think you will find you can get by without the second propane tank. I tend to alternate between dry camping and power sites when on the road - normally try and stay in one spot at least 3-4 days at a time and have done a number of trips of 4 weeks or more and even though I run the fridge on propane when dry camping and use the furnace as needed and do at least some of my cooking on the stove inside & do use the hot water tank for showers etc, I can get by for the 4 weeks without having to refill the one propane tank I have often gone longer. Obviously if you are having to use the furnace a lot or leave the hot water tank on all the time your mileage may vary.

My solar is not mounted permanently but my controller is so its a simple plug in to get it up and running. I camp a lot on the wet coast where big trees and lack of sunlight can be a problem - nice to be able to just move the panel to what sun I can find on the camping site and not have to move the trailer to the sun. I have used it in the south a fair bit as well both in State parks and the desert and if I stick it up on the roof its pretty hard to see and so far no one has helped themselves to it. I am going to attend a music festival this summer where I am told that people helping themselves to loose items can be an issue so I am starting to look at perhaps adding something to it so it can be locked to the trailer in some way making it a little harder for it to go for a walk.

Mine is an older panel and purchased back in the day when they were a lot more pricey than they are now. Its only 35w but as I have LED lights and the only things using battery power are my water pump and Fantastic Fan and the occasional recharging of my laptop, camera batteries and light use of the furnace (thats a big drain). If the battery is in good condition I can go for 3 days or more without plugging in and the panel when in full sun will usually top it back up in just a few hours - limited sun of course takes a lot longer. If I was purchasing a new panel today (and I am looking at upgrading soon) I would look for something 90w or more and that would be more than enough for my needs and the same size as what I have now, might even let me watch a few movies. If you are wanting to run a TV and or a micro wave etc then obviously your power needs will be much greater than mine and in which case bigger is better ;-)

Enjoy your new trailer and safe travels!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #6

Oregon
Carol, thank you very much for the helpful information!

Back in the days when I was married and my boys were very young, we lived in a small cabin for almost six years that I built on the coast of Alaska... waaay off the grid. We cooked on a propane stove and could go nearly a month on one of those small tanks. Of course we heated with wood and always had a bucket of water on the woodstove in the cooler times... which seemed to be always, lol.

Now just the dog and I these days and find that running a fridge or hot water heater full time is not the highest priority... and I'm not one for TV either, so electrical and propane usage is probably quite low. As time goes on I will look into the solar and perhaps the larger battery for sure I plan on the fiberglass single propane tank.

Tags
scamp