Weight distribution - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2015, 03:32 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler 13'
Yukon
Weight distribution

I have a 1973 Boler 1300 made in Peace River. Got it last fall in pretty much original condition and just tweaking a few things to take it out this summer. I'll worry about major things once I get her shakedown cruise over with. For now, add a battery and a solar charger, fix the water system, get better 12v lighting, etc.

I'll throw this one out to the crowd... The previous owner put a deck on the back bumper, nice professional job actually, with a plastic deck box on it. While it doesn't look like a lot of weight, it does concern me that I have to balance this out to get a proper towing weight. I have 2 propane tanks on the front and the battery weight on the front. With nothing in her there's a tongue weight of 81 lbs. I know that the Boler 1300 was supposed be 800 lbs. dry, but this will obviously go up. Way too much snow to get her to a place where I can get a total weight. Watching all the mods on this site that must add significant weight to the back, am I being overly cautious or will keeping weighty items on the tow side of her be enough? All thoughts appreciated!
drdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:53 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Weight distribution

A tongue weight of only 81 pounds with two (full?) propane tanks and a battery on the tongue sounds pretty light to me. Seems like the rear deck may be rather heavy, even empty.

When the weather clears it might be good to weigh the empty trailer (full propane & battery but no gear). That will give you a starting point when you consider how to load the trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
The last time I checked Fred's database, there wasn't a 13 Boler under 1300 pounds. 81 pounds tongue weight seems much lighter than recommended.

Personally, I'm of the "don't add anything to the back bumper" camp.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I agree that your probably a bit light on the front.
I'm planning on building a container of some sort on the rear bumper as well.
I would be interested in pictures of what you have to help in my decision making process.
I would be especially concerned with the how the frame is taking the extra duty more than the quality of the work mounted on the frame.
I lost the picture or I would post it but my brother has a small motorcycle mounted on the back of his boler so it can be done, but like anything else there is done and done right.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:37 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
[snip]
Personally, I'm of the "don't add anything to the back bumper" camp.
I'm with you Steve

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #6

Yukon
Got some nice pictures but still have to figure out how to post them. Fred, send me an email and I'm happy to email the pics to you in the meantime. Dug Betsey out tonight and I'd forgotten the spare tire is on the back as well. Also removed a small generator that was in the box. So now have to take a scale out and re-weigh without the generator or the spare. Also building a box in the front to cover the propane tanks and maybe mount the spare here. Decisions, decisions....
drdog@yukonvet.ca
Old 03-18-2015, 12:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
The tongue weight should be a lot better with the stuff off the back.
If you scroll down on the posting page you'll see manage attachments.
I stumbled through thee several times till I figured out the posting pics deal.
We only use one propane tank and have found it to be more than enough.
We wintered down south in the boler for 3 months last year and didn't use 20 lbs, so I think 2 tanks is a waste of weight
I'm planning a smallish container with lighter bulky stuff on the back
this is a link to some of the work I've done on my boler.
I mounted the spare on the tongue. You can see it on page 10

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-55601.html
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #8

Yukon
Got rid of the generator in the box and a pile of wood I found in there. Even with the spare still on the back, the tongue weight is now 131 lbs. so I'm feeling a bit better about this. Only very light stuff in the box and keep the tongue weight up.

Tags
weight