Weight Distribution Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Hi Raspy, as I said in my post "Nope".
I'm just making a point as to how a WDH works. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Thanks Mike. Got it.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #23

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I had a similar style hitch to the blue ox and then switched to an Equalizer. Do you have to un hook your arms before backing up or doing tight maneuvers.
Tom, I do not unhook anything when in reverse or doing tight maneuvers. The advertisements for BO said it is ok to back up, and I never thought about it again. I almost jackknifed a couple of times, with no ill effects to the BO.

I use the electric tongue jack to raise the hitch up prior to unhooking. This lessens the tension on the arms. I then move the arms without much effort...usually. If the TT and tV are at an angle however, I will sometimes get a snap, but usually this method works quite well.

I suppose this is the main reason I won't take the arms off first, I would have to jack up the tongue 2x.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I tow a 3500lb (dry weight) trailer with a 3/4 diesel. Do I need a WDH and anti-sway bar? Nope but I use the WDH anyway because its all about weight on the front axle and how that can affect steering and braking.
The WDH places the tongue weight on both axles. Without it the weight is placed behind the rear axle which now becomes the fulcrum or balance point. Not only does the rear axle carry the entire tongue weight but also some of the truck's weight from the portion of the truck ahead of the rear axle. Proper weight distribution aids handling.
I'd be checking the rear suspension on that truck if 350#of tongue weight on the hitch is starting to lighten the front axle.
I ran 300# of tongue weight on my 4CYL front wheel drive Ford Escape
over 10 years of towing without any additional loss of traction or extra tire wear. That's with a couple hundred pounds cargo in the back.

One point to ponder... Many Fiberglass trailer's frames are light enough that the stress of a WDH may not be advisable.
WDHs do have their place, the owner's manual in the TV should address at what point they are needed. Still the trailer takes its share of the added stress and must be considered.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I had my Toyota service manager check the hitch receiver recently ( it was installed in 2008 ) and I had Escape Trailer industries inspect the trailer for any maintenance issues.

Both reported that all is well.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Mike, are you saying that 350 lbs of tongue weight will make your 3/4 ton diesel unsafe to steer? Really? That's the same as two people standing on the rear bumper. I started using a WDH with my toy hauler, on my diesel, at 800 lbs tongue weight. As I understand it, even F150s are rated for 500 lbs tongue weight. And they have a very light aluminum engine.

The beauty of a heavy duty truck is that they are built to work hard and carry weight safely. 3/4 ton diesels are particularly long, heavy in the front, and wide for stability. 350 lbs is just about enough weight to make them ride well, but way short of making them unstable.

I connect and disconnect a lot, and I don't want the hassle of fiddling with a WDH unless it is actually needed.

There are applications where a WDH could be useful or even needed, but I agree that its not worth the hassle otherwise...

My Ranger is rated for 750# of tongue weight without a WDH
Old 11-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #27

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I used WDH with my Scamp 16 because the hitch manual called for it over 1800 lbs trailer weight. (3500 lb max)
It also made the combination ride better and less likely to spin the front wheels when accelerating on wet asphalt or gravel.
The Touareg I use now is rated at 7700 lbs and the WDH is not needed, but the combination rides better as well.
My Mini 350 Reese also has sway control incorporated in the sliders that transfer the weight.
In my opinion using a WDH rated too high could easily add too much stress the the already marginal frames in the earlier trailers with thinner wall tubing.
Many of these earlier have cracks in the frames in the bends even without the added stress of the WDH.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #28

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Trading a Toyota for a Chevy = not a good idea.
Toyota is #1 in quality.
Chevy is not.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #29

Name: Bob
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Washington
In regards to headlight angle being a consideration for using air bags or WDH, I thought modern vehicles adjusted the headlight angle depending on how the vehicle is sitting which changes with load distribution, when it is started.
Bob Gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #30

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21'
North Carolina
I'm skipping all the other stuff and just giving you my personal experience and opinion, based upon towing a 17' Casita Sprit Deluxe for 10 years, and an Escape 21' for the past 2 years. They both had/have around 400lb tongue weights. We tow with a 2012 F-150 SCREW FX4 5.0 4x4 with helper leaf springs as well as an aftermarket anti-sway bar and Bilstein shocks. I ALSO use an Andersen WDH even with all this "overkill". It improves the ride so much on it's own, that it's worth the added work. I believe it's also much safer WITH the WDH and won't let my wife drive the tow rig without it. No bouncing, no wandering, no sway, and the headlights are pointed where they should be. No reason to go cheap and risk your expensive rig.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gr View Post
In regards to headlight angle being a consideration for using air bags or WDH, I thought modern vehicles adjusted the headlight angle depending on how the vehicle is sitting which changes with load distribution, when it is started.
Some do. Certainly not all do. I hope to goodness we're not looking at yet another federal mandate!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #32

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Ok, thanks
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #33

Name: Scott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alaska
Interesting reading this. We bought a 2003 17’ Bigfoot that comes with the WDH so I’m interested in everyone’s opinions and experiences. 90% of the time it will be towed with a 2006 2500 Dodge Cummins Quad cab, 8’ bed. I’ve read extensively about these WDH finding that there is a lot of positive feedback even with a truck like ours.
Sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #34

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Toyota is #1 in quality.
Chevy is not.
Well I agree with you about the Chevy comment but after having a 2003 Tundra through to the present I feel they could have done a lot better. The quality of the metal and rust proofing left a lot to be desired and the fuel mileage sucked. I actually get better mileage with the 3.5 eco-boost.

I have a 2019 F-150 now but I kept the Tundra for dump and scrap metal runs. I may sell the Tundra once I get the barn cleaned out.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Toyota is #1 in quality.
Chevy is not.
Toyota "quality" is one of the main reasons I kept my '01 Ranger, waiting 8 years for Ford to build the 2019 Ranger.

Doesn't "TRD" on the side mean that Toyota is #2?
Old 11-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Some do. Certainly not all do. I hope to goodness we're not looking at yet another federal mandate!

Daytime running lights are required in Canada. Saves lives, like seat belts.
Does US require them yet?
Old 11-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #37
tvp

Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
I never travel without the WDH. I have a Nissan Titan--a terrific tower--with the full tow package. Nonetheless, I like the fact that not just a hitch ball and dangling chains are keeping me connected to the trailer. And the amount of control it provides is well worth the minimal hassle of hooking up.
tvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Daytime running lights are required in Canada. Saves lives, like seat belts.
Does US require them yet?
No, but it will.

I remember liberty, but I fear my grandchildren will scoff at the thought.

2+2=?... you'd better get it right!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
“If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever.”... George Orwell "1984"
Old 11-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I remember liberty, but I fear my grandchildren will scoff at the thought.

So you're arguing for the right of corporations to sell products that kill and your right to buy them?
Best drag out that covered wagon.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #40
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
The original question was is there benefit to the weight distribution hitch when towing with a Silverado. The benefits that were pointed out were - a more level tow vehicle/trailer combination - more weight on the front axle of the tow vehicle - headlights aimed where they should be - more stable feel less porpoising - less sway. I think benefits should be weighed against any detrimental effects. There were a couple pointed out including additional weight and additional stress on the frame of the trailer. The stress on the trailer frame is due to the WDH distributing weight to not only the front axle of the tow vehicle but also to the trailer axle(s). On a Casita that trailer axle is rated at 3500lbs. When I talk to people that have actually weighed their Casitas (fully loaded) most are not too far over or under the capacity of the axle and it's components (tires and bearings) To take weight off a tow vehicle like a Silverado's rear axle and shift it to an axle that is near capacity make no sense to me especially when I read about all the tire and bearing issues people have experienced. I have towed our Casita over 110000 miles without a sway bar or weight distribution hitch and yes I feel sway and yes I have experienced porpoising but I have not had any tire or axle problems and I am glad to feel the trailer back there, it reminds me to slow down and be more careful. Just my 2 cents.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight