Weird Vent in 13' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-25-2002, 12:54 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Inside Vent

My bad. I was thinking venting to the outside and trying to braintorm possibilities.

Taxidermy - Bological organisms stink in varying degrees, particulary when chemical decomposition is in motion.

Leaf curing - Sometimes folks infuse leaves with different scents - hickory smoke, menthol, botanicals, etc. Sometimes they use smoke to accelerate the curing process.

Meat curing - Same elements of consideration as both items immediately above. IMO, rancid blood has a repulsive scent.

Moonshining - involves fermentation, heat and explosive possibilities. A still has to be vented in someway. The scent can be potent.

Hey Karen, Taxidermy is not a subject I'm terribly knowledgable about. I thought you might chime in if I was off base.

Old 12-26-2002, 06:24 AM   #16

Perhaps

Some company ... Coleman, I think ... made a white gas catalytic heater back in the late 70s, early 80s. It was supposedly approved for use in a tent, but really put off an odor.

Because of tip-over danger ... from the brush of a dog tail or stumbling over it in the night ... maybe the prior owners kept the heater in the cabinet ... and vented the top to allow heat to come out.

We had one ... my son and I used it in a tent one night ... and woke up in the middle of the night, sick and almost overcome with fumes. Never used the damn thing again.

But, if someone "hatched" an idea to use one in a little fiberglass egg ... perhaps this explains the venting. They may have designed the venting system ... used it one night ... and then decided the flumes were too toxic and never used it again.

Old 12-26-2002, 11:49 AM   #17

I used one of those "mushroom" heaters in a small tent trailer, but we never slept with it going, just used it to keep the rig toasty before bedtime. Had to light it outside, as the process creates quite a bonfire for a few moments, and it used a lot of Coleman fuel.

Later models even had a heat control lever.

Pete and Rats
Old 12-27-2002, 12:15 AM   #18

''Taxidermy - Bological organisms stink in varying degrees, particulary when chemical decomposition is in motion.'' by Benita

Yes, we are a misunderstood breed. Visitors to my shop often comment that they thought it would stink, but it doesn't. The object is to treat the skin before it starts to decompose too badly. Fresh meat does not stink, but when the bacteria get to work it can create an aroma that is disagreeable to most. Once the hide is tanned it has a pleasant leather scent. Now, when skinning fish for mounting ......well, you know, fish stink....period, until I pickle them and use Lysol in the preservative. The last skunk I skinned stunk up the whole neighborhood because we skinnned it outside, and the tanner did a little crabbing, but once it was tanned it had no aroma.

''what stanks
Karen, you do moonshine? '' Jana, you are a hoot! The only moonshining I do is.......well, maybe I better not tell you here.... xxx. :reye2 :red

Don, did you ever get an answer to your e-mail to the previous owner as to the purpose of the vent mod?
Old 12-27-2002, 08:26 AM   #19

>>Don, did you ever get an answer to your e-mail to the previous owner as to the purpose of the vent mod?

No, still waiting. The opening is only 3"x 14.5".
The floor goes in this weekend, I'm laying down a smooth 1/4' plywood on top the old, screws and industrial adhesive. Then tiles. My mom has almost finished recovering all the cushions. She had cut new foam and recovered with new denim, her xmas present to us. My wife'll finish scrubbing the walls this weekend, too. Then on to the cracked fiberglass on the lower rear end and at the right bottom door. Needs new trim around the door and roof vent and lower outside edge all the way around. Gonna have to make a special trip to the Mega rv center north of The Big City soon. Door handle, trim, water inlet, power converter, marker lights, battery & tray, ...
Old 12-27-2002, 09:27 AM   #20

vent

Don, Is Jeepers your nickname or the trailers. everytime I read one of your post, I see that and think it's an expression that your just about to give up any minuite. Like-Jeepers this is really bad- or Jeepers, I can't take it any more.-

Oh! well, back to subject. I like the idea of a box (removable prefered) that drops into the hole so your cooking stuff doesn' fall around. in the RVy, my MH, I was always having to pick up stuff that slid all the way down the cabinet but had set there for miles and miles on other trips. OR maybe the trash idea. have a container under there to catch the trash, but that might waste a lot of useful storage. some interesting ideas here from everyone.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:52 AM   #21

Jeepers! Nickname. CB & Usenet holdover.

Jeepers! The hole is kinda small! :)

What kind of things do folks put behind their burners, on the counter?

A bin that size seems only good for utensils, but one good bump...
Maybe I could make something that would hold the Salt & Pepper and Tobasco. I'm not doing anything till I see how much space the New 3way fridge takes up. Besides the gas line comes up the wall and across the opening to the burners.

One neato thing we are doing (translate=$), is we found an 3/8", 4'x8' sheet of Polyethylene (cutting board material). With a little computing power and Adobe Illustrator, I found that I can cut every door, in the Scamp, out of it. Transluscent, semi, white and workable. I tested the hinge screws and they hold. :sunny
Old 12-27-2002, 12:01 PM   #22

Sorry Don, Shame on me! I just couldn't help it. Jeepers. Shame, Shame, Shame on me. Next time I will not click on it.
Pat
Old 12-27-2002, 12:04 PM   #23

BUSTED! :nono :inbox :o

Soon there will be a icon on the left of our Scamp build to click on instead.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:12 PM   #24

Be sure the hinges are really secure, but more importantly, be sure the door latches are veeerrrry secure; on really ruff roads, the stuf inside has a habit of banging on doors and opening them. Then the weight of the door is bouncing up and down on the hinges.

The original pressboard door on my Scamp 13' destroyed two sets of hinges (replacements at Home Depot) before I replaced the door with a very light sheet of plywood and a very positive nylon cord that goes from one hinge diagonally across the door to a coat hook on the side of the closet wall.

Something similiar happened with my icebox door, ripping the plastic frame, so I beefed the frame up with some light sheet metal and pop-rivets, plus I drilled a hole inside, with a removable peg, so keep the ice tub from sliding and impacting the door.

Pete and Rats
Old 12-27-2002, 12:24 PM   #25

Latches, Wen don need no steenking latches...

>Be sure the hinges are really secure,
>but more importantly, be sure the door
>latches are veeerrrry secure;

O.K. Will do. I found some cool latches called Quake latches that appear to be fool proof (I have been known to be a sufficient enough fool to meet the needs of this old saying). We'll see.

What do you keep behind your stove top on the counter? Poll, sorta. To see what I should fix the vent hole with.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:34 PM   #26

What's on the counter by the stovetop

When rolling, I keep nothing there; when sitting, usually just a coffee cup or two, and perhaps my coffee maker if I have other stuf on the stove top.

Pete and Rats
Old 12-27-2002, 10:35 PM   #27

vent hole

I had a small spice rack that I glued that rubber stuff to the bottom. it usually sat in the corner behind the stove top, but would work its way toward the edge about 4 ft away. in the rack was salt and pepper shaker, toothpicks, matches -any thing that would fit in the food prep line. BUT I think the trailer shakes going down the road way worse then the MH so this would be a bad idea now.

Tags
scamp