Well how do you say "Poop" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Well how do you say "Poop"

Another lesson learned

We are in Jekyll Island and loving it.
Met Bob and Mary face-to-face and what a delight.

Much informative info exchanged and hopefully I absorbed most of it to long term memory.

New lesson learned and another Bat Dude science project on deducing source of water/rain leakage into under fridge storage compartment.

New semi-costly lesson learned is to drop one leg of awning to drain off water from the wonderful Fiamma 45s awning we had added to our 16' Scamp.

Bob suggested best to leave one leg a bit down so water runs off with rain. DUH a day late and a dollar $ short on that one. Woke up with what I assumed light drizzling rain with an OMG very loud THUNK. DW suggested a tree branch and fallen and hit the to of the Scamp (time check 0:14) so not quite ready to jump up and take a look.

At first light it was clear awning had partially collapsed and the center support arm has bent beyond saving. The left support leg had also popped off and was laying in the sand.

I was readily able to remove the Fiamma 45s bracket and re-install the support leg, however the center support was history.

OK relative newbie and operator error.

Called Fiamma after Scamp indicated I should contact them directly.
At 08:02 this AM I called them (they are based in Orlando, FL.) and the person who answers indicated the part would be $59.00 (or so) and shipping $15 for 2 day service. Google Fiamma USA if you need parts.

Super support!

OK the other issue that we have had since day 1q with our new Scamp 16' is that the fridge access vents leak water.

This results in the under fridge storage area being perpetually wet.
Thanks to Bob who loaned a small electric cube heater I was able to dry this out. This is not the result of blowing rain from on the road travel, but also from drainage down the side of the Scamp.

While our Scamp is a bit dirty with road dirt from travel this was great- liker smoke in a wind tunnel.

Earlier this AM I carefully looked at this issue and noted that the dirt streaks were not stopping at the seams as assumed (already added foam insulation strips to stop water) but running past the seam and down along the open vents that are angled in towards the fridge area.

OK Bob's suggestion of adding EZE RV Gutter.

this seem like the best solution running it at the top and along the front so whil driving it will drain away. Available in 10' sections as well as 50' rolls.

I did contact Scamp but Kent Everland replied
"Do you have the new style plastic refrigerator vents or the old style steel vents? The only solution I would have is replacing the vents, if they are leaking through the vent itself."

Since this is a new 2014 Scamp it has the plastic vents.

I am now assuming the EZE RV Gutter will be the answer.

New lessons learned also on cheap-light weight "Stinky Slinky" hose.

Went to drain the "Tinkle tank" this AM and the original light weight blue drain hose from Scamp resulted in an OMG that is a lawn soaker hose experience. It leaked all over with what apparently are now pin holes all along it.

Now have new RhonoFlex sewer hoses and a Y so both the gray and Black water can drain w/o swapping hoses every 2 days.

OH in case any one wants to know...
We still Love our Scamp.

Still on the learning curve...
Cheers.

Bat Dude
Old 12-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Now have new RhonoFlex sewer hoses and a Y so both the gray and Black water can drain w/o swapping hoses every 2 days.
Bat Dude
I hope this doesn't indicate that you are leaving the drains open 24/7.
Both should be closed until the tanks are at least 3/4 full. This prevents solids from building up in the black tank, and the grey water dump helps rinse the hose.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Question Fridge vents?

Bat Dude,
The openings of the Fridge Vents should be facing down, with the overhangs at the top, providing mini awnings for each port. Could it be installed upside down?
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #4

Michigan
Hi Glenn and Mike,

First off the valves are closed for both tanks until time to drain.
We are only using the black water as a "tinkle tank."

Hmmm Mike, interesting comment. The fridge service vents were installed from Scamp factory with the vent openings at the top so ... up not down.

When checking the Dometic installation guide this is correct so the openings are at the top of the louvered vent areas. I agree, if upside down that would be a direct drain into the back of the fridge area for any and all water.

Tnx all for comments/suggestions.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
... The fridge service vents were installed from Scamp factory with the vent openings at the top so ... up not down.

When checking the Dometic installation guide this is correct so the openings are at the top of the louvered vent areas. I agree, if upside down that would be a direct drain into the back of the fridge area for any and all water.

OMG! is it possible that Scamp installed the vent upside down? That would be a MAJOR error and hard to miss.

First, see this thread.
Second, see my photos in this post of that thread and note the photos. The first is as seen from a little above, and the second from a little under.

That is the latest vent that scamp is using for intake (lower vent).

Now if you find your vent is NOT upside down but you are still getting water inside..

First, is the water inside the vent on the plywood at the bottom of the fridge works? You will see water in this area once in a while but it should not happen often. If you spray a hose at the vent for example. The new vent is supposed to preform better than previous models did. The aforementioned thread has more on this.

Second, is the water inside the fridge itself (the part that stays cold)? That is likely normal condensation which occurs a lot more in these fridges then it does in you home fridge.

Third, is there water on the floor of your Scamp, under the fridge, inside the living area? That could be condensation leaking out, or something else.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The vent openings on inside up would mean that the vent openings on the outside are down. Which would be the correct way to install.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:16 AM   #7

Michigan
Hi Gordon & Byron,

Yes, our Scamp has the newest and same vents as in your photos with the openings at the top facing down. After seeing the aluminum channel used from the link you provided I think Bob's suggestion of using the EZE RV Gutter may be the answer. This will be an easy install and aesthetically pleasing when the time comes to pass the Scamp on to a new owner in the far distant future.

Perhaps an alternative would be to follow Byron and Anne back to Sunset in Death Valley for the winter and no rain to worry about. LOL.

To reiterate the history, the leakage has been happening even while the Scamp was just sitting in the rain w/o any blowing wind. When we finish this winter's Scamping escapade and return to Michigan in April, I will likely need to pull the Dometic fridge out and see if the chipboard shelf it sits on needs to be replaced or not. If not then make sure it is painted or an Epoxy layer added. The concern is that it has been leaking so long that the panel has a soft spot under the fridge from prolonged moisture.

Again given the small amount of road dirt on the Scamp acted like smoke in a wind tunnel so it appears the the water is not leaking in directly through the panel seams but along the actual vent section themselves. While the openings are at the top the support ribs slant just slightly. The dark tracks suggest the rain flowed along the opening ribs. The foam added along the lower channel has stemmed the bulk of it

Time to order the a 10' roll of the white EZE RV Gutter.

Cheers all,

Bat Dude
Old 12-09-2015, 06:25 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bat Dude. As you know we have a 1991 Scamp. It has metal vents and the vents face downward.

We do have a forced exhaust on our Scamp fridge, using a couple of small 12 volt 'muffin' fans.

I would consider reversing the vents.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:35 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Ok if the vent is not upside down and you are getting water inside in every (or almost every) rain, even with little or no wind and while parked, then I would suspect the sealant around the outside frame of the vent. Much like the problem I had with the VanAir roof vent for the bathroom, a small gap in the sealant is all it takes to get a consistent leak.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote