Wetbath - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's a Toyota build.

a bit larger than a Smart Car!
Not much! I know as I almost drove right over one with my little truck on the freeway the other night when it pulled out in front of me without looking first....

Agree with others - probable a good little commuter car but not something I would tow a 2000lb trailer with.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
The Yaris brings back memories of the '84 Dodge Omni I once owned. About the same weight and power. Not a good egg hauler. A used Alite 300 could work, or a Little Guy Mypod, or a Livin' Lite Quicksilver 6.0 popup. That's about as big and heavy as I would want to go with a Yaris.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:10 AM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Had you looked for a receiver for it? Does it have a frame for such?
Old 12-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
At least one mfg (Curt?) makes a receiver hitch for this "Do Not Tow" vehicle and, according to a post on the Yaris site (see earlier link), it is attached using the shipping tie-down hooks.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The Other Side

I know nothing about the Yaris except it is in the same class as the Honda Fit. I compared the Fit to the Yaris. They are almost identically sized vehicles except the Fit has higher horsepower.

The Scamp 13 (with Scamp brakes) has been towed successfully by at least one owner using a Honda Fit described on this site by DonFromTexas.

Unfortunately the Economical Tow Vechile thread is dominated by site members; we get very little of Don's experience. You could send Don a PM, someone who has actually towed with a similarly sized vehicle.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...cle-51512.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-52150.html

The Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy

I also suggest you google Yaris Towing

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #26

There is a link to "Towing with a Yaris" in post #13 and the replies seem to be divided into two groups (as is often the case hereabout).

Personally I can't see any way that a small Yaris or a Fit can safely tow a 1500-2000 lb trailer and I hope that I am never next to or near someone doing so on the road when things go bad.

As often mentioned, just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #27
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Or, you could buy a motorhome and tow the Yaris. It would make the perfect running-around car once you reach your destination, so the motorhome can stay in camp.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Have you guys ever seen a Chevy "Spark"? wow... we drove one last year while the Cobalt was being repaired from a rear-end collision from a driver while my daughter was driving. I believe it's a little smaller than a Yaris.

On the Yaris? With the listed tow capacity? It's just like anything else... you're ok until you're in an accident and the liability hits then you're sunk. Is it really worth the risk? Not to me.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #29

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
It's just like anything else... you're ok until you're in an accident and the liability hits then you're sunk. Is it really worth the risk? Not to me.
Hang the liability, what about putting Humpty Dumpty (me) back together after I get all busted up in the accident? I will just continue to tow with my (probably too large) current tow vehicle thank you.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #30

The question was just asked by Floyd and obviously deleted; does anyone make a hitch for the Yaris? Yes. Here's a link to a CURT hitch rated at 2000lbs. That still doesnt make it "legal" (OR safe) if the TOW Cap of the vehicle is lower than the hitch rating.

2014 Toyota Yaris Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com
Old 12-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #31

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Hang the liability, what about putting Humpty Dumpty (me) back together after I get all busted up in the accident? I will just continue to tow with my (probably too large) current tow vehicle thank you.
So, you sit on the wall on this issue??
Real men don't want to be quiche.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
The question was just asked by Floyd and obviously deleted; does anyone make a hitch for the Yaris? Yes. Here's a link to a CURT hitch rated at 2000lbs. That still doesnt make it "legal" (OR safe) if the TOW Cap of the vehicle is lower than the hitch rating.

2014 Toyota Yaris Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com
Yes Darral, I deleted that question, since I saw that it was already asked in post#23.

The fact that a reputable company makes a hitch for the Yaris is of course, not definitive... but it is a factor to consider for those who want to make informed decisions.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #33

My point was, just because it says 2000 lbs for the hitch, doesnt make it a good choice to tow with. Especially, when the Yaris's actual US cap is somewhere around 700??

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Yes Darral, I deleted that question, since I saw that it was already asked in post#23.

The fact that a reputable company makes a hitch for the Yaris is of course, not definitive... but it is a factor to consider for those who want to make informed decisions.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #34

That item certainly has a use as a receiver for removable bicycle racks & other light weight carriers and may be suitable for that use. And it may also be labeled "Do Not Exceed Vehicle Manufacturers Towing Limits".
Here's a link to the Curt page: Hitch Lookup for 2014 Toyota Yaris Liftback, Excluding SE

As I have mentioned before, the factory installed receiver on my Blazer is labeled at 6000 lbs, well over the vehicles capacity per the owners manual.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:

It just like any hitch and tug combo. The hitch is rated to X so many pounds but the tug is also rated to only X so many pounds. The lower of the two is the one that needs to be followed for safety reasons.

The Class system IMO of rating hitches is outdated and leads some misinformed people to believe just because they can buy a hitch that is rated at X so many lbs for a tug, then they can tow that amount.

Would be way better if North America was to do the same as is done in Europe were the hitch is stamped and rated at the same tow rating the tug manufacture has set for the tug. No tow rating for the car, no hitch. Simple.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #36

Not sure how that could work Carol. You're buying the generic hitches from about anywhere. So, the hitch CAN carry the weight that's stamped on them. It's up to the person if they're buying and installing it themselves to use common sense and understand they can only tow at the capacity of the weakest link.

Now if they take it to a dealer or a professional customizing shop or what have you, I agree 100%! It would be interesting to know that in the case of a lawsuit (the legals we speak of when concerning towing OVER the cap. of the TV) where a business would stand in the scheme of things that installed it knowing that it was rated for more than the vehicle. To me, it simply falls back on the owner.... common sense? (Unless of course something broke that was caused by the installer). And finally, I'm surprised insurance doesnt have a "say" in this type of situation if they know about it...then again if they DONT, are they obligated to pay out?

Interesting stuff..
Old 12-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Not sure how that could work Carol. You're buying the generic hitches from about anywhere. So, the hitch CAN carry the weight that's stamped on them.

Interesting stuff..
It works well in Europe.

There you call into a hitch shop and tell them the make and model of the car and they order in the hitch and put a hitch on it that is made for that car and its stamped with a rating the same as the cars tow rating. Simple. You go to hitch shop to buy a hitch to install yourself the same thing happens. Your sold a hitch that is stamped with the same rating as the car you have. Simple. Police stop and check your set up they look at the stamp on the hitch and they may even ask to see the manual for the car to make sure the manufactures rating is the same as what is on the hitch. If I am not mistaken the European cars may actually have a sticker on them showing the actual towing capacity if it has one. They look at the trailer and its weight decals and if your over your fined. Doesnt get any simpler as far as how it works.

Funny enough Nissan has gone to the same type of system. When I asked if the factory hitch was a Class III or a IV, I was told Nissan no longer uses the Class system for rating their factory installed hitches and has gone to the same practise as they do in Europe and said the hitch was simple rated at the same towing capacity as the truck. It neither a Class III or a Class IV. Again simple and effective. It also has a sticker on it stating its capacity to be the same as the trucks. Again pretty simple system.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #38

Registry
Oh! Never mind
What worked in Europe was precisely why I'm an American!
Thus the Preamble.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Oh! Never mind