What colour would you buy? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #1

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
What colour would you buy?

Hubby says we have to sell our Boler (can't have 2 trailers) so we are working hard renovating it - what a lot of work for someone else to enjoy - never again! I am not happy but oh well
My question is we are getting ready to paint it (PO already painted it poorly so that has been all sanded many times!) with marine paint and debating between white or two tone (probably white/cream plus green/blue). If you were buying a Boler what would appeal to you the most?
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #2

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
I like the two tone. Personally I'm drawn to anything red :-)

But, both the new and vintage camping "gear" will go well with blue or green too....for those needing to glam things up a bit.
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonia View Post
I like the two tone. Both the new and vintage camping "gear" will go well with blue or green too.
I will be painting my Compact Jr. Turquoise with a white top.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
White and Red or Lime Green and White or all Fire Engine Red or Lime Green - two hot colour combos starting to see lots of these days.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Kootenaigirl... My choice would be to return it to as close to original as possible. Our former Boler was painted to match the PO's truck so it didn't match our tug. I did get used to it being silver, but always wanted it the original two toned brown/white.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
former Boler.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All white, then no one can complain because it doesn't match their tug. I think we're all pretty much visual people and have preferences when it comes to colors. I'd be really turned off if it was a color I didn't like. What's not to like with white, it's a blank slate and clean.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Like Donna said. If you're painting to sell, white has the widest appeal (or offends the fewest potential buyers, however you want to look at it).
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I vote for white also and for the same reasons (especially if you're wanting to sell the trailer).

Let new owners opt for colour choices of their own, if they choose not to like all white. Consider too the 'heat' factor. An all white trailer does not get as hot inside as darker coloured ones. ....and as Donna D. stated "white goes with any other colour."
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I vote for COLOR!

Bring on the cute factor and sell it to a glamper! There are enough "white" options out there................
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #10

British Columbia
Thanks for all the opinions everyone, as per usual everyone has a different one, that's what I love about this forum!
I am still harbouring thoughts of maybe being able to keep it so decided to go with what I would like as well!
I like the traditional Boler two tone - lighter green and cream but hubby makes rude comments about that green!
So I have just ordered Brightside medium blue and hatteras off white which I would still like and may appeal to others also. Bolers did originally come in blue and white this will just be a little brighter.
Pics to follow once it is completed.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #11

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Were I a potential buyer, I would prefer either white or the original factory color if that isn't white.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #12

British Columbia
Okay don't add anymore opinions - I am already second guessing my choice!!!
I probably would have gone with white but there are some really nice white ones that haven't sold quickly, they are a little pricey so maybe that is why.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #13

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
yea but,,,my sister is the antique road show freak!!!!so she had their rig painted the original cream with the belly bands that the factory ( gel coat ) put on, with 2 colors of brown, darker on the bottom band,,,I think if you did chose colors that you liked, it might not, sell better than a neutral.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If I was looking for top dollar, I'd put the trailer in a good, solid, perfectly applied coat of primer, figure the cost of a good quality topcoat, add that to my selling price, and advertise it as "will paint to suit".

Not only might choosing the color appeal to a big variety of potential buyers, it would leave some price wiggle room- the buyer could decide to do the paint job themselves in return for a (small!) price reduction.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If it were me it would be painted cream on top and light forest service green or light mint green on the bottom. These colors inspire camping. I would never do it primered as it limits the buyers market. no one wants to spend big amounts of cash and still have to work on it. You also open the door to the paint job didn't come out right and now we are not going to buy it or what is really going on underneath that primer. First impressions make the sale and bad impressions are hard to over come. Primer is a bad impression.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Don't get confused. Go with your plan, it's not like you picked purple and red!

Personally, I think your colors will be perfect!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #17

British Columbia
That is a neat idea about doing the primer and coloring to suit Francesca. Unfortunately I also see where Steve is coming from and who knows how the paint will turn out. Also lots of people would have a hard time visualizing how it may look - I would be one of them!
Thanks again for the input everyone.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #18

Name: Susan A
Trailer: 2001 16' Scamp
Georgia
Newbee question,
Can you paint the fiberglass exterior yourself?? If so, what paint do you use??

Thanks, Susan H.
volunteergal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #19

British Columbia
Susan -Yes, lots of people paint trailers themselves. If you do a google search on this site you will find lots of info. Marine paint is popular but some people have also used rustoleum which is less expensive. I plan on using Brightside marine paint with the roll and tip technique (lots on internet about this) and hopefully it works out well.
If you have the original gel coat there is stuff to make it really shiny again (Red max pro etc) so you don't need to paint.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #20

Name: Susan A
Trailer: 2001 16' Scamp
Georgia
Kootenaigirl,
Thanks. I love the facts that most stuff on this camper, I can do myself.
I got a wash, wax and uv protector at West Marine so we will see how that turns first.
Susan H. my project is under
Georgia redo of 2001 Scamp
volunteergal63 is offline   Reply With Quote