What do you do for storage/organization? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #1

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
I've been looking for ways to maximize the space in our 13'. What kinds of things do you use or have you done in order to create organized storage in your trailer?

I'm only just beginning, but I've thought of using plastic storage bins to store stuff underneath the trailer while we're camping- put them inside the trailer when we're on the road...
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Reduce the amount of stuff you think you need. One doesn't need all that much. When we take off for few days "camping" we never use most of what we bring and we still have quite a bit of storage space left over.

One small suggestion, get a book on "ultra light backpacking". Look at the principles, not necessarily the actual "hows". You'd be amazed at how much you can unburden your self.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Byron is absolutely on target! FGRVs are the backpackers of RVing. Less is more, and better. I am always amused by folks who get a FGRV for its simplicity, then rig it with every gadget imaginable.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Tirah,

I use bins. I have several, and they are not all full. They are kept light so I can lift them.

One is for "Water" things.. hoses, pumps, etc.

The next is for "outdoor" stuff. Tarps, bungees, carpets, lights etc.

The other has Dog things. Dishes, meds, toys, food.

The bins do double duty as tables when set up. All are waterproof.

Choose the bins carefully. They do not all fit under the trailer equally!

Everything else has a place in the trailer, or in the car. Even my toolbox is a rolling bin.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
You don't mention what your tow vehicle is, but I prefer to pull with a full size pickup or a full size SUV. Then the weightier and physically larger stuff goes in the tow vehicle.

We also do a lot of winter traveling from Washington to California for a couple of weeks, then back. I wouldn't want to move boxes out of the trailer into the rain and snow and back.

We do take two sets of sleeping bags, a warm set and a summer set. During the day when traveling these are laid out opened in the back of the Jimmy. They cover up whatever is under them so someone looking to steal something can't see anything that may be enticing. It also allows the bags to air out. It is surprising how much moisture accumulated in a sleeping bag when in use.

Otherwise I agree that the less you bring, usually the better. Most things can be picked up along the way, if they are really needed.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
I found some small plastic bins at Target that are about 5" deep--just right to fit into the overhead storage areas in the front and back. I think we have 6 bins in each area. I labeled them (snacks, toiletries, DVDs, etc.) so everything is easy to locate.

We have four shelves in our closet and each one has a designated purpose.

Under the dinette seat on the kitchen side we have a collapsible crate that holds a week's worth of soft drinks and bottled water. We take out a few at a time to put in the fridge.

Under the other dinette seat, where the water tank is located, we store a small broom, folding step stool, cube heater, etc.

We keep a tool kit, leveling blocks & wheel chocks under the front seat next to the door. We put an access door so we can get these out without having to pick up the cushion.

We have a camper shell on our truck, so we can put a large plastic storage bin there for anything that doesn't fit in the camper itself.

It takes a lot of trial and error to find what works for you. I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas from the forum. Have fun and pack light!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #7

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
I replaced the suitcases with cloth storage containers (the zippered kind with clear tops so you can see what's inside and cedar strips so everything smells nice). They take up less space, can be smooshed into small-fitting spaces, and if they launch during travel, they won't smash anything up. They stack nicely and I bought some in a color to match my "decor" so they look good, too.

I'm afraid that's my only "innovation." For the most part, we have storage space we don't even use. Tons of it. Part of the reason is like what the others have already said: pack light! I can't believe what some people bring. Then again, we're not living in my unit for months on end, either.

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
I think the single biggest help for storage is shelves in the closet. We have also added some of those little vinyl coated wire shelves where they will fit, doubles the space. When we made our front dinette, we also added a shelf in that cupboard. We also have room to spare and I'm not that light a packer.
Attached Images

Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0008_01.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	3398
For extra storage when we need it we added two hooks to the lower side of the overhead cupboard at one end. Now we can hang the cargo net from an old van and use it for jackets or other clothing at night or in wet weather.It can be stored away when not required.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote