What do you put in your over head shelves? - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Name: Sam
Trailer: Owner 16' Amerigo
What do you put in your over head shelves?

Reading and seeing a lot of over head shelves, so what do you put in yours?
Clothes? stuff, food??

samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Trailer: 2007 Casita
I personally don't put heavy stuff in overheads such as food. But I do put towels, wash cloths etc in one. Another has things like my tv antenna, first aid kit, extra rivets, fuses, etc. Yet another holds my party lights..... Personally I don't travel with all the stuff others do. I hate haveing so much stuff in them that you can't find what you need. Works better for me to keep them simple.

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
The shelves in the Trillium are not overly sturdy. In an effort to keep it light we put clothes there. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Like most of us, I try to keep the heavy gear low, and use the upper cabinets for lightweight stuff: paper goods, towels, some clothing, plastics. Upper food storage is limited to bread, cereal, and condiments.
I found some great folding fabric boxes at Ikea to contain the items. Even though the compartments aren't "square," the boxes bend and conform to the space to a certain extent, and keep things from sliding all over the place when underway.
I pack clothing items in zippered packing cubes from ebags. Again, made from lightweight fabric. Nice and neat, and keeps everything contained.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Light things in the overheads, heavy stuff down low. I try to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. Also, if something falls out, I prefer to get hit with a towel and not the family sized can of SPAM.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
My 16' doesn't have the rear side cabinets. Just two front, side cabinets over the dinette and one full width rear. I'm not addressing the cabinets over the sink and stove.

Sitting here doing a mental inventory:
Side: Cribbage board, 3x5 cards, misc. recharger bricks, remote controls (TV, sat), table mats, awning crank, awning center support, flash light(s), radio scanner, weather station repeater, replacement CR123 batteries, local radio station index book, 5x7 laminated departure checklist w/china pencil & clipboard.

Rear: Sat TV box, scanner channel guide book, travel log binder, trailer instruction manuals binder, extra VHF antenna cable, headlamp, sheets, Atari-like controller with built in games, assorted A/V patch cords.

"Stuff", I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Originally Posted by HerseyBA View Post
I prefer to get hit with a towel and not the family sized can of SPAM.

Ewwwww, spam?

Can't eat a towel, but can't see getting hurt by one either.........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
One side of the kitchen overheads has all my plastic bowls, plates and glasses etc. The other holds spices and *small* bottles of condiments etc and some small containers of frequently used dry goods - such as coffee & tea. At the rear, one overhead holds all the electronics such as DVD player, mp3 player etc. The other side holds my head lamps, current reading material, small reference books for birds etc. & a small zipper pouch of games - when I cant close the pouch its time to take out the least frequently used games. I put heavier or larger food items in the shelves on the bottom half of the closest. Pots and pans all go into a bottom kitchen cabinet. Any heavy bulky appliances such as a crock pot and George Foreman grill go in a rear hatch.
Carol H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
My Fiber Stream has an upper kitchen cabinet that holds the melamine service for 4, 4 Tervis Tumblers (insulated glasses) with lids, 4 large travel coffee mugs with lids, 4 Tupperware trays, aluminum foil, zip-lock bags, paper plates & napkins.

Across the front is a "Child's Bunk Bed" that holds bedding; comforter/pillows.
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
This discussion is over my head.

Clothing, towels, kitchen utensils, plastic dinnerware, firestarting clicker, and a few small odds and ends.
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
At the front, .......napkins, Kleenex, placemats, flashlight, playing cards etc
In the one at the back, ........towels, beachwear, extra blankets.
james kent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Front overhead cabinet has kitchen towels, table cloth, pot holders, saran wrap, foil, wax paper and lots of loc-n-loc plastic containers as well as some tupperware. Oh and a battery operated can opener.

Back overhead cabinet pj's, undies, socks, 6 nice tops, 6 long sleeved tee's and a few other odds and ends like gloves and a watch cap.

Overhead kitchen has spices, dishes, coffee, tea, creamer and sugar. Coffee filters, paper plates a lid to my large frying pan. A few odds and ends related to the kitchen.
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
We have 8 large Overheads. In the 3 over the stove we keep dishes, bowls, plastic storage containers and T shirts. In the 2 over the sink we keep coffee mugs, plates and glasses. In the 3 over the dinette we keep jeans and all bedding. In the 2 over the couch we keep sweaters, jerseys, shirts and dress pants/slacks and our Nooks.

We have 3 small overheads. The oveheads above the side windows contains reference books on one side and glasses and meds on the other. A small overhead in the bathroom contains non-prescription meds, shaving cream and the like.

Of course there is the tall kitchen cabinet, not really an overhead though the top shelf contains boxed foods.

Like most people, heavy items like canned goods are kept low.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
North Carolina
Our overhead shelves (74 Trillium) in the front and rear are quite flimsy, a waste of space, IMHO. Therefore, we hardly use them, except maybe to park your glasses, chapstick, cell phone, headlamp, etc before going to bed. Nothing is put there while traveling; we're afraid it would bounce out or the shelves would break. If we were handy, we would build cabinets with doors, and that would be useful.

Gail H is offline   Reply With Quote