what does this mean? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2016, 05:35 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: inTech
Kansas
what does this mean?

finally got the "new" casita washed and noticed a very peculiar yellow area on the outside fiberglass at the bottom corner of one of the windows. there are also some fine stress cracks in that area. could this have been caused by a leak around the window somewhere? if it is a leak, i definitely want to address it right away. i have a lot to learn....
lrb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Linda, leaks don't cause cracks in the fiberglass. Although water in the cracks that freeze/thaw can make it worse. Cracks happen because of stress or being hit. Is it possible that area has been repaired and someone didn't match the gelcoat or tried paint?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My 2013 Casita has some hairline stress cracks in the gel coat .
If you go the Casita trailer forum there are several threads about this subject . I plan on applying some crack sealer in the Spring when it warms up .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #4

Kansas
hmmmm. wish it weren't dark outside--i'd go get a photo. i will do so tomorrow and post it. that might give someone an "aha!" moment....also, the compartment underneath that area is damp. can't tell whether the window is leaking or the outside door to the compartment is not water-tight.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Anything that can leak, will leak. Why not? It's what water wants it to do! We're busy now filling up the last of something like 60-80 holes, including various doors and vents, windows, doorway, and now belly band. Every time we dig in to fix something, new holes and problems show up...and our trailer is completely gutted. Well, apparently not. Belly wood is still in...POs (that's Previous Owners, not POS)...(ha.) didn't think much about putting screws through the outer fiberglass! Want something attached? Screw it on (butyl rubber? What's THAT?) Then if (when) it leaked, just smear a huge blob of silicome on it!

By the say...DonnaD and many others have a LOT to say about silicone...you might consider reading up on it now, before you're tempted to try some.

As Paul said just today, while prying, sanding, peeling, scraping, and chemically trying to clean up the belly band aluminum, "Silicone is NOT your trailer's friend!"

Best...a big job for you! The satisfaction should be wonderful as you complete it...someday I hope I can feel that!
Old 02-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #6

Kansas
i have been reading some of the silicone comments; so, i plan to use the 3M 5200 polyurethane marine sealant. i'm hoping that is okay--anyone know a reason not to use it?
Old 02-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
For outside sealing, butyl rubber "tape" like around the windows (under the aluminum) is best...same with vents on the roof. Better to undo things and clean, clean, clean, and use the butyl rubber (read up about it on this site and others) than to merely seal around the outer edges. That's not a good fix.
Good advice on how to use it on here...

Don't know about the polyurethane marine sealant.

Try SEARCH (at the bottom of the pop-up search engine) on this site.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb945 View Post
i have been reading some of the silicone comments; so, i plan to use the 3M 5200 polyurethane marine sealant. i'm hoping that is okay--anyone know a reason not to use it?
Only one reason to not use 3M 5200. It is PERMANENT ! as in the only way you will ever get the surfaces apart is to destroy them. 3M makes lots of great products and I've used 5200 many times but if it is something you will ever want to take apart, don't use 5200.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #9

Kansas
good to know!!