what does this mean? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2016, 06:25 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: inTech
Kansas
what does this mean?

finally got the "new" casita washed and noticed a very peculiar yellow area on the outside fiberglass at the bottom corner of one of the windows. there are also some fine stress cracks in that area. could this have been caused by a leak around the window somewhere? if it is a leak, i definitely want to address it right away. i have a lot to learn....
lrb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I've got a couple of yellowish spots like that on my Scamp that are due to me being over-zealous with abrasive cleaner/waxes and buffer.

Fine stress cracks happen; I don't think either of these conditions, in and of themselves, are anything to worry about.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #3

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Leaks won't cause cracking, just mildew and rotting floors. Hairline cracking is probably caused by impact, or sometimes they just show up.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Hairline cracks in the gelcoat are probably what you have. The gelcoat is what covers the fiberglass. Gelcoat is less flexible than the fiberglass so it sometimes cracks. Some people call this spider web or spider webbing and it is just cosmetic. Not structural. The gelcoat could be a patch that was done at the factory or buy a previous owner. While it is irritating there I not much that can be done to repair and eliminate this situation.

Some photos would help to confirm this.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #5

Kansas
what does this mean pics

i am going to try to post pics of the mystery area.
Attached Thumbnails
P1040338.jpg   P1040340.jpg  

Old 02-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #6

Kansas
if you enlarge the pics that i posted, you will see a definite wavy line between the yellow and white areas. is this, perhaps indicative of missing gel coat? i know so little about fiberglass!!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm wondering if the previous owner tried to fill the cracks with Capt. Tolley's? I thought it was clear, but maybe it's aged?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #8

Kansas
i had not heard of this product--have you used it, or do you know of anyone who has? sounds great, but you never know!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #9

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I can chime in here a bit. My Scamp was in a wreck with PO. I immediately noticed gelcoat cracking when I bought from him, but overall repair was done at Scamp, and knowing gelcoat can flex differently than FG, I figured it was residual stress from accident.

Now, two and a half years into owning trailer, I notice a definite yellowing/demarcation line on the roof. Which made me realize Scamp might have glassed in the repair, but they sure as heck used paint too.

I've used Tolleys in cracked areas, haven't noticed any yellowing but my work is only a couple years old. All I have to offer here is my opinion, and I know my trailer was painted now due to the yellowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
After seeing the photos, my original suspicion that this is a gelcoat patch is confirmed. Most likely done at the factory during the build. I have a spot on my bigfoot where the gelcoat is a different color but I know the original purchaser did not have any repairs done after it left the factory. Just one of those things that happens. Gelcoat, like paint does change colors over time. Hairline or spider web cracks also occur. You could grind off the gelcoat and replace it with new gelcoat but it would require a skilled person with lots of experience to do the job properly and a few years later the patch might not match anyway.

This is NOT a structural issue. It's purely cosmetic. I know it is upsetting to you but a satisfactory long term repair is not likely. I once had a motor yacht with a spider web crack in the deck. The boat was moored outside for years and there was never a problem other than it irritated me every time I saw it. Have fun with your trailer and don't worry about this issue.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #11

Kansas
JACK-- that makes me very happy! thank you!!