What glue sticks to poly water tank? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500 Jubilee 1979
Registry
What glue sticks to poly water tank?

Polyethylene is hard to stick to. We don't use the tank much. So bought Deck Plate on sale at West Marine. The 20 gal tank then can be used for storage. But also water.
Different opinions regarding:
Hot Glue (its poly) this would be easy.
Rubber Gasket (used w/ truck campers)
Bythl tape (might be toxic)
Lexel (Elastomeric synthetic rubber caulk)
Silicone
Anyone had success with these?
Pic thx NetBoy's Camper (lots of good work)
Attached Thumbnails
deck.jpg  
OscarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I haven't done this in particular, but in my Blue Tote project, I used Devcon Plastic Welder to glue PVC connectors to a 7 gallon blue plastic water jug. And, it's completely leak free.

I bought it at Lowes.

Plastic Bonding That Is Even Stronger Than Epoxy, 3,500 PSI, Sets In 15 Minutes, Bonds Plastic To Plastic, Plastic To Metal & Metals To Metals, Thick Formula Fills Gaps, Water Resistant, Dries Cream Colored, Carded. - A strong structural adhesive formulated for bonding dissimilar substrates as well as unprepared metals, wood, ceramics and hard plastics. This non-sagging formula is designed to be load bearing and resistant to weathering, humidity and wide temperature variations. - 3500 psi strength - Dries to a cream color - Working time 4-5 minutes; full bond 24 hours - Works best on hard plastics, metal, concrete, acrylics, ABS, vinyl, PVC, fiberglass, styrene - Bonds dissimilar materials hard plastic to metal, metal to metal, metal to wood - Minimal surface preparation.
Attached Thumbnails
Devon.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:44 PM   #3

Registry
That looks like good stuff to keep handy!
Reminded me of a Quartzsite mini solar hot water rig with copper pipe enclosed in glass and circulated to a water tank where the fitting was sealed w Shoe Goo.
My concern is 150lbs of water sloshing around in a semi-flexible tank. The thick Shoe Goo seemed hard when I felt it but must have some give on shoes.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #4

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
I also just installed a deck plate and used aquarium sealer (silicone) with SS screws.
I figured it's non-toxic, and is flexible. Time will tell....
Old 03-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #5

Registry
DAP Silicone Aquarium Sealant or GE "Window and Door 100% Silicone Sealant"
has no added chemicals that are toxic and the missing bonding agent works well on polyethylene. At least that seems the easy fix. Some of the others might be hard to remove if they don't work. And the toxic issue.
"One Word: Plastics".
As quoted in 1967 movie "The Graduate"
Wonder who patented fiberglass!
Old 03-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I had a water tank issue a while back and in doing some research I read that nothing sticks to polyethelene. That's what makes it food safe. Milk jugs, water jugs, ect. If you know a chemist, that's who to ask. I think stainless steel screws and a gasket is what I would do. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
A compression gasket works well; rubber or cork (cut from sheet materials if you can't find one.) Ace Hardware carries both; the rubber is called "Plumbers Rubber."

You're right that nothing really sticks to polyethylene; I use a plastic welding gun to fix cracks. https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...&ved=0CI4BELkk

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarD View Post
Wonder who patented fiberglass!
Hmm, interesting history:

The History of Fiberglass

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #9

Registry
Makes me wonder why I haven't tossed the tank and fitted in milk crates to hold milk 1 gal. containers.
This looked like a good repair product. (For lots of plastic things) Better than basic super glue.
LoctiteŽ Plastics Bonding System is a two-part cyanoacrylate adhesive that sets in seconds and develops tremendous strength with just one drop. The activator primes hard-to-bond surfaces such as polypropylene and polyethylene.
Recommended For
Repairing figurines, costume jewelry, cameras, toys, metal car parts, wiper blades, rubber seals and O-rings
Bonds leather, cork, paper, cardboard, wood, chipboard, fabric, metal, ceramic, rubber and plastics such as Plexiglass™, polycarbonate, polystyrene, PVC, polyethylene and polypropylene

Another thing learned is lots of glue has a short shelf life. Store in the fridge!
Got a D in Chemistry in high school. Been trying to make up for it for too long.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:16 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarD View Post
Makes me wonder why I haven't tossed the tank and fitted in milk crates to hold milk 1 gal. containers.
I freeze water in those jugs to keep the fridge cold when traveling. One day I noticed a puddle in front of the fridge. Because they are intended for one time use, the plastic wears from the vibration. They seem to be good for a season.

Quote:
Got a D in Chemistry in high school. Been trying to make up for it for too long.
I understand completely. When I was in college I took 2 semesters of Chemistry over a summer while working full time at night. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:17 AM   #11

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Thumbs up 3M

I made this same mod to my water tank. I used 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200. I bought it at the boat shop the same time I got the deck access plate. It worked fine.
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:04 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
I did the same mod you are doing and am using 3M 5200 under the flange and on the bolts that I'm using to attach to the tank. I'm using pan-head bolts with a washer on both sides. I have seen the flanges crack when flat-head fasteners are used and too tight. Think water surging up against the inspection plate and the pressure may cranck the flang where the screws/bolts go through the flange.

3M 5200 in use in many applications in the marine world and I have neve heard of anybody having a prolem with this product. I have used it on alum. water tanks on boats and alway been very happey with the finished product.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:14 PM   #13

Registry
cut the tank today. it is very flexible. formed the flange from an IKEA cutting board. the aquarium silicone is the right stuff .. the port requires 100percent silicone for it to work w the port plastic on top. 5200 inside w the flange. 5200 toxicity from splashing might be a question but not for me. Going to double the number of screws because its so flexible.