What have folks used to attach bubble levels? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 04:29 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
What have folks used to attach bubble levels?

Hi all,

One huge tip we learned from Byron while in Death Valley was to get the BAL single axle leveler. Unless the trailer is close to level the fridge does not work well. After nearly 3 months of living in it this was a main set up issue.

I just received our BAL leveler yesterday and we are getting ready for our next travel adventures with our 16' Scamp. I will use a long carpenter's leveel inside to make sure the traileer is side-to-side and front-to-back level then want to attach external bubble levels. How do you attached these to the gel coat exterior? Will silicone hold?

I assume one in the back for side to side by the rear stabilizers and one on a side for front to back.

Next we will tackle the power issues by investing in a generator and LEDs for off grid dry camping.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've never had refrigerator issues with our 1991 Scamp 16.

We have three levels mounted on our Scamp. One front center just above the belly band and one passenger side center again just above the belly band. We bought ours at an RV supply center and they came with stick backs.

Recently I found a center bubble level and mounted it on the front of the hitch. I use this level after jacking the trailer off the hitch.

Before we disconnect Ginny checks the front side to side level. If she finds it out of kilter she places one or two wooden blocks under a tire on the low side that I back onto. That level of correction has always been adequate, inexpensive and fast. We carry 5 wooden blocks, 2x6x12".

After side to side leveling we use the jack for front to back. The whole process really takes minutes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #3

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We have 4 levels one center each side and center front and back; like your block idea honda03842 ;-)
Old 05-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Smile level and powered

Ours are held with 2 sided tape, hate silicone personal experience, has its drawbacks. Make sure the generator is sine wave or it will not work as well. 1825 Watts is the equivalent of a 15 amp fuse in your home. Most 2200 watt units can do this level of output well.
Have fun and stay safe.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Our bubble levels came with a peal and stick adhesive on the back. I cleaned the area where I put it with rubbing alcohol first then applied.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'd invest in solar/leds and skip the generator.... the levels are normally self stick. Re;B@l leveler, go to the local pizza shop and ask for an old pizza delivery bag, the B@l fits inside on of these.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We have had no problems with using a loose bubble level that we keep in the kitchen cabinet for storage.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
We just use 1 small magnetic torpedo level and rest it on the belly band where we need it. The magnet doesn't work on fiberglass or aluminium but the level sits right on the belly band and you don't have to hold it unless your moving the trailer. My gal is very handy and can read a level as well as I can. If I was dealing with it alone I would stick a big level on the front of the trailer where I can see it from the drivers seat while backing up.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I only use a center bubble level in the freezer compartment. Had an old 1970 cabover that had a finicky refer that worked great when the bubble was centered, off a tad....not so well. Checked a couple of later rigs between frame and refer levels and they were never the same level. Newer refers are not as finicky but old habits work fine. YMMV
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Bruce, I have two levels that might not be really accurate attached to outside. They came with a double sided foam strip to mount them with. I leveled the trailer in my driveway with a 4' carpenter level, the a small single all direction bubble level on the bottom of fridge. Once I was satisfied with the leveling I attached two levels on the trailer one on the front and one close to fridge, both just under the belly band. Since the trailer was level all I had to do was make sure they were both level when attached.
When leveling I use the outside levels to get it close, then Anne goes inside and puts a small level in the bottom of fridge for me to finish leveling.
I use the Bal leveler first while still connected. Then disconnect the trailer from the tow. Lower the front with the tongue jack to about 1/2 bubble low in front. Deploy the rear stabilizer jacks, raise the front to level, again Anne is inside with a small level on bottom of the fridge. That's all there is to it.

By the way Bruce, it was really nice get to know you and Caroline a bit. Maybe our paths will cross again sometime. Happy Camping.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Mine are all stuck on with two sided tape as well.

I have a 2 way bubble level on the the tongue of my trailer. Makes it simple to look at quickly before unhooking at what the side to side status of the trailer is, as well as fine tuning the back to back while using the tongue jack. Before I stuck it in place I did make sure using a number of different larger levels that the trailer was indeed level in all ways and then moved the level around to various spots on the tongue until I found a spot it would fit and read level.

I should add that although my fridge appears to be level with the floor and the counter above it - it is actually not - its out slightly so before I actually stuck the levels on the tongue I actually did adjust the trailer a bit so that the bottom of the fridge (were I also have a bullseye level) was bang on level rather than using the floor of the trailer to decide what was level.

I also have a couple of levels stuck under the bubble band on the side and rear of trailer - rarely look at them though as the ones on the tongue and fridge seem to be good enough at getting it level.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Hi, Michael here. I'm a newbie, don't have my trailer yet, and trying to learn. I reading this thread it sounds like getting the trailer level is very important - more than I realized. What are the important reasons it should be level other than comfort? Thanks, Michael
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:06 AM   #13

Name: John + Linda
Trailer: Scamp 19
Washington
Don't need no stinking level

Whatever happened to a can of beer on the counter - which ever way it rolls to - it's low. Adjust as necessary.
frog49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:23 AM   #14

California
Mike, it's not that big of deal anymore. The only thing in a trailer that needs to be level to work properly is the refer. As I said in an earlier post the newer ones can be off to some degree and still work fine. Someone posted once that if the trailer was comfortable to walk in that it would be fine for the refer. I'll have to try that sometime as my refer is an '06 model. Don't loose any sleep over leveling a trailer. Do it twice and it will be as natural to you as pouring a cup of coffee. Nothing about towing a trailer is rocket science, just good common sense.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #15

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Love that idea.

Step 1 Level trailer with beer can

Step 2 Drink beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog49 View Post
Whatever happened to a can of beer on the counter - which ever way it rolls to - it's low. Adjust as necessary.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:40 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
and after many cans of beer you will not care if the trailer is level or not....
Old 05-02-2015, 07:01 AM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
As others have said, the important thing to level is the fridge. I was taught to set up the trailer so the fridge is level. Do not even bother checking level of the floor, counter, roof, etc. Once the fridge is level attach the self-stick bubble levels so that they show level and they are where you can see them easily while setting up. The Walmart self-stick ones I put on my pop-up are still fine after two years, and if they come off they are cheap to replace and I would then look at stronger mounting options.

There’s nothing wrong with the BAL leveler I suppose, except it is $78. Blocks of wood are free. But who am I to talk about cost, I got the plastic leveling blocks to save weight:
Amazon.com: Camco 44505 Leveling Blocks - 10 pack: Automotive

BTW, the State Parks I usually stay in do not allow the consumption or display of alcohol.. Not sure if that applies to using the cans for leveling
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #18

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
I have a couple of bubble levels in my truck someplace that I intended to mount inside my Scamp. Then I realized that if the trailer was a little off, then I'd always feel a little off, too. I don't think a few degrees off is noticeable, but if a bubble was not between the lines, I Would notice it. So...I just walk around the trailer, maybe use a 2x6 or 1x6 under one tire, eyeball it from side and rear, set the chocks and call it good. If you roll a beer can around your counter top, better open it outside.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Thanks guys, I'm relieved!! Michael
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #20

California
BTW, the State Parks I usually stay in do not allow the consumption or display of alcohol.. Not sure if that applies to using the cans for leveling [/QUOTE]

really? Where would these be?