What if there is no title? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #1

Name: carrie
Trailer: Cadet
New York
What if there is no title?

hi, not sure where to post this, apologies In advance.

IF I found a great camper, With NO Title..
what do I do?
I'm sure there are posts about that here, but this of course, is a sale that should be made quickly, and as I am at a loss, trying to make that up by asking if any of you know this!?

Thankyou Also in advance
(lets say over 25 years old)
mscarried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
In NY it may depend on if that particular trailer had or should have had a title. I'm not exactly sure before what year NY did not issue titles. but our 1973 popup has a title. We bought a pre- title teardrop trailer several years ago that had no paperwork other than a hand written, not notarized, bill of sale. The key issue with DMV was that it had an ID number, and it had been in my possession for more than one year when I went to license it. A big issue may be if the seller will help you after the sale if more paperwork is needed. Or will it be he has your money and it's no longer his problem. Took me a year to get a seller to sign a document in front of a notary to take care of a title issue. In that case DMV gave me a registration and then a month later informed me they would not issue a title due to insufficient paperwork. Check with DMV.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #3

Name: carrie
Trailer: Cadet
New York
Thanks, I just realized I asked a similar question before! But I think I would need to call their dmv as well as ny, right? Well, if it was actually titled there to begin with.. And hopefully isn't .. Stolen. I'll call dmvs upon the break of day! )still looking
mscarried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
No Title = A major hassle.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #5

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
good questions to ask a seller is "why does it have no title"?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Some great info in this thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...les-63450.html
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #7

Name: Jason
Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Missouri
If it is in a state where a title is required. Have the seller obtain a duplicate title. (Basically the state has the owner pay a fee and they run the vin# or similar id # to see if it is reported stolen) They then sign it over to you when you buy it. Not an issue as long as you have the seller do it BEFORE you buy.

Your situation could differ but I have had multiple dealings like this with motorcycles/ scooters.
JasonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #8

Trailer: Helite
You need to protect yourself against "Receiving Stolen Goods" and a title will do that.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title