what is it?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #1

Name: Marie
Trailer: 1983 Burro
Montana
what is it??

Hello from MLCW in Montana I just bought a 1983 13 ft Burro. I am redoing the inside. How do I remove and replace the carpet ? fabric on the ceiling and down part of the walls why is it there what was it when it was new??? Thanks for any help you can give me.
MLCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I'd also call it carpet but I can't provide the name or source of the original or a currently-available equivalent. Perhaps Accusticord or any number of other floor or wall coverings and upholstery fabrics. It's simply a flexible trim to hide the raw (no smooth white gelcoat) fiberglass layup which joins together the two halves of the inner hull or liner on centerline of roof and ends.

The carpet cement used to adhere is no doubt extremely brittle after 30+ yrs. service and the carpet will most likely be fairly easy to pull off without leaving much behind. Those who have replaced this centerline trim have had varying success achieving a reliable bond and permanent adhesion. Old and filthy is one thing. New and falling down is another.

Do your homework, search for more info on choice of covering and application method. Generally speaking, you'll get a longer-lasting bond with a commercial duty, paint-on carpet glue. Avoid low-viscosity craft-store spray adhesive in an aerosol can. Some here have used bamboo matting in lieu of carpet; there are no doubt other clever choices that will be revealed. Stay tuned.

And almost forgot, welcome to FGRV. Hope you enjoy and keep us all posted on your Burro refurb.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Marie, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

There's lots of Burro owners here on the forums. I think changing that carpet to something else is one of the best methods to make your trailer uniquely your own.

For instance, I like this idea: Mike's Bamboo Ceiling and Pam Garlow's Bamboo Ceiling
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If the Burro interior is similar to Uhaul, [never been in one] what we did on our Uhaul is we found at Lowes and Home Depot some indoor/outdoor carpet that is a polyester fabric made from recycled plastic bottles, color is gray. It is very light weight. We glued it up with Weldwood contact cement. Cut it to size first, then used a small paint roller and cheap brush to apply the cement to the back of the carpet and to the area in the trailer. Let it set for a few minutes and stick it on. So far it's stayed stuck. I did first go over the area with a paint scraper and small sanding disc to remove any old glue that was loose, and at a couple places below the front window where the inner shell was not tight to the outer shell I used bondo to smooth out that area. If you apply too much contact cement to that type thin carpet it will show through. The carpet comes in a 6 X 8 foot roll and cost around $20. Not sure if the carpet that was in our trailer when we got it was the original, but whoever put it in did a real sloppy job installing it, with glue exposed all along the edges. I cleaned that off with Walmarts brake parts cleaner on a rag. Brake clean is my favorite stuff, but it can damage some paint and plastic. On another note one of our kids spotted a Burro 13 for sale right down the road from their house, checking on it today.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #5

Name: Marie
Trailer: 1983 Burro
Montana
Smile What is it

I am replying again to all who gave me advice and info on the ceiling carpet in my Burro. I am new to this site so I don't know if the first message was posted.
Thank you for all the help. I will write about what I choose. so far I am leaning toward the bamboo.
Tomorrow I will start upholstery on the cushions. wish me luck
MLCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Bamboo would certainly look good, carpet is easier.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #7

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
My old Burro came without fabric on the ceiling, but it did come with seven wasp hives. Largest is seen in inset. I was driving around a new development of upscale homes when I spotted carpet remnants at the curb of a newly carpeted McMansion.

Generous applications of contact cement and careful fitting to the ceiling worked for me.
Attached Thumbnails
burroceilingB-A.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #8

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
From what I can see of your installation....looking good! Seems you cleaned up the excess glue previously left by former install too,from what I can make of your pic. (Lots going on in there)

Good job!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote