What is it worth? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Beachcomber
Hello all, not sure if I'm in the right area. I am looking to purchase a Beachcomber trailer. My neibour has it sitting in his drive way, was given to him and needs work. I just love the size and the style and want to purchase it from him. It is a double shell model aprox. 10 feet in length and from what I understand it's the sleeps three model. The problem is this ....the roof vent was left open for 2 years. Water got in and has softened up the floor and stained/ rotted the base units. I am a Carpenter by trade and have a shop I can put the trailer in for the winterfor repairs. I was just wondering if I could get a suggestion of what I should pay? As it stands now with the things I see that need repair I am willing to pay between 300 and 400 dollars. Any feed back on this would be greatly appreciated. It looks just like the attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
1_Beachcomber.jpg  
Edmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I would ask him what he wants B4 I did anything else.

When U look at the threads on this site U will see where fixing a rotted floor is a major item of work,
Look 4 mold and test the appliances.

Then if the price is not out of the question, get under it and look at the frame to make sure it ain't rusted through, cracked, etc and that the suspension on the axles are OK. More than likely U will need new tires.

Then if U think U have a fare price, go from there or point all the bad things out so U can renegotiate the price. He may just give it to U to get rid of it.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I will be checking the appliances and frame undercarrage.

I see there are a few get togethers in and around Alberta. I hope to be joining a couple next summer
Old 09-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Beachcomber 15 ft and 1977 Airstream Tradewind 25 ft
I have seen Fg RV's in "trashed" shape go for $1000-2000+, so $300-400 would not be realistic in my opinion. If you can get it for that you are stealing it. I reno'd our Beachcomber and even if the floor framing is rotted it is not a hard fix on these once you pull up the floor - but you would have to likely gut the whole interior. If you do buy it, take care when removing the fake wood panelling during the gutting process as they are good templates when cutting new wall panelling. There are no square pieces in these due to sloping walls.

I put about 140 hours into ours and about $1500 in materials. Check it out on the "Neat alterations,mods" section of this site. It might give you some ideas.
Kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #5

Hi Kevin, thanks for the message and the pics. Make's me more eager to pick this lil Beacomber up! Although the more I search and investigae the more the price seems to rise. Never knew they were that much intrest in them.

Very nice job on the reno. I do believe the one I'm looking @ will be a gut and redo reno.

At any rate .....still have to do the deal with the Neibour.

Ejoy the day!!!!

Eddy