What is level? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
What is level?

Okay, is I just found an '89 Casita LD 16' for not much money. (That should be my first clue!)

Got to the shop today and I didn't think much would surprise me.It probably leaks like a sieve, needs new floors, etc., that part is fine with me. I need a new axle too, that is all fine with me.

Here's the problem...I take it off the ball and go to level it. The bottom of the hitch is literally 5" off the floor and the belly band is still "up in the front" a bit. (I did say new axle, right?!) when I open the door.........the floor is sloping DOWN to the front!? What's up with that?

I anyone can give me a guess to why this is, please!!!

Had to get a good laugh from the get go - I pulled the rear floor flange for the table out, really it fell out, and all I see is my shop floor!

I just love a challenge!

Vicki A.
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
It would seem that the floor and the shell are not fixed together well, and the floor seems to be sloping forward with the frame, but with the shell at a different attitude.

Lots of work ahead of you, but nothing that can't be fixed up good.

Is it Casita that suffers soft floor problems? I kinda thought it was Scamp, but don't know for sure.

Pictures would be nice.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Was it owned by Fred Flintstone? I can see in my mind the Flintstone family feet running under the camper from one camp site to the other.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
That's a specially customized Casita, made so the camping couple can skateboard down the aisle.

I'm not sure where the floor can go... aren't Casitas made with a full fiberglass bottom? And you say you pulled out the table flange and see daylight... wow. Where's the FG?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Buy a new level!
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Level ?

a pic would help....i was wondering if it is an issue w/ axle or mounting of axle to the frame. or even a possible broken frame ? just a few thoughts and ideas to check out....I see you have a perris pacer in your profile as do I

Any chance that you have converted the front bunk into a dinette, as this is my next mod
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
What is Level?

Its a type of vodka made in Sweden by Absolute. I highly recommend a bottle of it for this application. After your finished with it everything will seem to be slightly off level by the same amount
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #8

Carol H. - I'll go with your reply- sounds perfect to me
Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki A. View Post
Carol H. - I'll go with your reply- sounds perfect to me
Highly recommend you do do! Will make the reno oh so more enjoyable.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Your eyes may be deceiving you...

Level the trailer with an actual bubble level on the tongue, then go inside and lay the same level on the floor. That'll give you actual differences if any.

Also measure the level of the fridge, which is one of the more important things, level-wise!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #11

No eyes deceiving me! Even without a level, I can spot 1/8" off in 8' - much to some of my friends chagrin...
It was all too obvious anyway...and with the level,almost a full bubble difference from tounge to fridge.

I started to gut the innards and as I pulled one bench and then another, I could tell things were binding up, weird.

What supports the ceiling past the bathroom and the fridge and microwave cabinet? I am only going to pull them because the floor is shot.

Climbed under the front today, hate this not level stuff...well duh! It's a wonder I got home in one piece, the shell has pulled off the frame in front. The frame it self looks to be okay, but I may have to pull the shell off to really check it out
Old 03-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I would take a good look and make sure the frame is not rusted and bent. Sounds like you have a project to keep you busy. It will be worth it in the end. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote