What is on my roof? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2008, 04:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 79 Fiber Stream
I just bought this 79' Fiber Stream. After taking and examining photos of the entire trailer, I noticed that there is some sort of white coating covering the roof of my trailer. I can only guess that this is some sort of waterproofing.
Given it's condition (the entire roof looks like the section shown in the photo), what can I do to either repair or replace it?
Click image for larger version

Name:	040.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	15695
Robert N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
looks like that 'snow patch roofing they use on some mobil homes along with mold?
thats just my guess ......
Does it peel off? I would take it off and re-do the roof....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #3

Quote:
looks like that 'snow patch roofing they use on some mobil homes along with mold?
thats just my guess ......
Does it peel off? I would take it off and re-do the roof....
redo the roof with what product though?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:55 AM   #4

Here is a better view of the coating. I finally figured out how to compress my photos without cropping them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	15696
Old 09-13-2008, 09:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
looks like you'll need some elbow grease and patience. scrape it carefully to avoid cutting into the fibreglass, and see if there really is a reason to need it. Usually the only places that have to be sealed are around the vents.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Quote:
looks like you'll need some elbow grease and patience. scrape it carefully to avoid cutting into the fibreglass, and see if there really is a reason to need it.
I cant imagine some on slopping that stuff on for no reason.. unless the roof was leaking and they thought they were doing a favor by adding that globby stuff...

I would do as Joe said and start taking it off carefully and find out whats underneath...
first then go from there.... If you cant do any roof repair yourself you may have to find someone that deals with fiberglass repair....

Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I just bought this 79' Fiber Stream. After taking and examining photos of the entire trailer, I noticed that there is some sort of white coating covering the roof of my trailer. [b]I can only guess that this is some sort of waterproofing.

Quote:
looks like that 'snow patch roofing they use on some mobile homes...

A lot of that type of roof coating was sold (in Mobilehome communities) as an insulator and heat reflector, as well as a seal coating. The previous owner who applied that probably was thinking roof specific... If yours is like mine (without any interior insulation) they may have thought that the thick coating would insulate. I used to live in a Mobilehome community where that was done purely for it's insulating properties because it was cheap.

It appears that the gelcoat beneath it is pitted. I would remove that coating completely as Joe suggests. Then I would prep the fiberglass (patch defects and sand the surface) and paint the trailer.