What is the battery for? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
Name: Normand
Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
I especially appreciate 12 volts when boodocking for the furnace motor and lightning. My wife and I are also on CPAP and 12 volts is an absolute necessity then. No way someone should consider not having 12 volts unless always camping near an electrical outlet. 12 volts, as mentioned above, is the best guarantee for freedom camping.

And my answer to the how much question is don't close any door and do it with as much of flexibility as possible. There are reasons why generators, solar panels, battery size, type and numbers, inverters, chargers etc. are abundantly debated here.

Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #16
Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
You can't run an AC on 12v, not even with an inverter.
National Forest CGs usually don't have hookups.
Neither do BLM lands. Not sure about Corps of Engineers.
County and state parks vary a lot.

Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #17
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
There are some on this forum who have taken out the entire 12v system turning their trailer into a total 110 unit.

Personally I would never do that as you'll definitely need to find a campground or RV park with electricity in order to function. Not me. I like the option of camping in the outdoors, the woods etc. which often don't have electrical hoookups. While I'm not one to camp in the California SP's, most of them don't have electrical hookups here in the north anyway. Often National Parks campgrounds don't have electric hookups. So you really limit yourself as to where you can camp. Having said that, if you really need A/C then you'll have carry a generator to use it in campgrounds without electricity. I've got one.
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #18
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Why 12 Volts

One reason to have 12 volts is those long treks thru empty places.

Traveling the Trans Labrador Highway, one day we did a 200 mile stretch seeing only 8 other vehicles in over 7 hours. We averaged under 30 mph on that day.

Obviously we had to stop for an occasional pit stop, lunch stop and lets stop and check out the neighborhood (though no neighbors). On those occasions it was nice to have 12 volt power or AC by turning on the Inverter, possible because we had a battery.

We did carry a small generator on this trip because one never knows what will happen when you're far from normal civilization. However, when you stop for lunch you typically don't want to crank up the generator.

A 12 volt system is worthwhile. Really the only penalty is the battery and the converter. Of course I feel the same way about a propane system. The magic of these three way systems is choice and backup.

Traveling through the wilds of the world does mean you may have to be truly self sufficient. When we're really away we carry things we would never consider for normal RVing, backing up the backup....

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote