What is the best brand of rv fridge - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #15
Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp
Small 12 volt computer fans (low power) can help draw the required air across the coils of the fridge.
I added one to my Norcold 704DE swing 12/120 volt unit to improve the efficiency.
I am about to add a larger one to the Norcold 1200 to get the temps a little lower in the 100f temps here in LA (lower Alabama).
The large 4 door fridge with ice maker already has two factory fans under the coils, but with the slide out the vent is not on the top of the camper, but rather on the side and has less chimney effect working for it.
The Lack of a tall chimney also limits the draft of the small refrigerators. A small fan could help lots.
My Norcold setup turns on and off with the compressor and the large unit with the factory fans that are on a thermostat.
They turn on when the temp in the back goes higher than normal. (All the time in the hot summer when the heater (electric or gas) is heating.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #16
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Of course I have a 1.9 Dometic in my Scamp. In really hot weather (to which we RARELY camp), it struggles in the 40's. But one thing I've noticed too, the cooler I keep my Scamp, the colder the fridge will stay. Insulation? Probably. So a possibility (if you're not on the road) is when you're out of the Scamp or trailer, keep it COOL in there and possibly leave the cabinet doors open (or the side of mine sits inside of my cabinet. Just some thoughts.

I wonder what a fan would do outside or in the vent dept. help pulling hot air out the top??? Hmmm.

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:43 PM   #17
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
I would expect a larger ammonia (rv) fridge to stay cool better than a smaller fridge, simply because it has a greater volume of cool air to start with... slowing the temperature swing. But that's just my supposition. I've had a 3 cubic foot Norcold and a 2 cubic foot Dometic, and neither one could keep their cool when the weather was hot. A fan placed over the upper outside vent to draw more air across the fridge's backside did help (10 to 15 degrees colder), but when it was 90* out that made the fridge interior 55*-60* instead of 70*, big whoop-te-doo.

This summer I used a big cooler. I needed to add ice about every 3 days. Everything stayed ice cold. The milk I bought on departure day still smelled totally fresh on return day (12 days later). Block ice worked beautifully.

If I were to buy a fridge, it would be one of those Danfoss compressor units for 12V (no LP), because they will actually achieve and hold the temperature you set. And I'd have a pair of batteries and 100-150 watts of solar to support that fridge.
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #18
Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
We have the RMD8555, two-door, and no problems as I have mentioned on the Escape forum many times. Mary, you said you were in high altitude areas where it is not supposed to work, however, others reported that theirs did work in that case (but maybe not always as high as you were, although I think Alan or someone was).

We were in Texas, Mary! While you were somewhere else. At 95F and even 100F, the refrigerator, a 6.7, worked. Opening the door a number of times, however, causes the temperature to go right up. Have to limit that as much as possible.

Since it was so hot, I used a big container full of water to have cold water. I would put it in the refrigerator in the morning and presumably it would become cold before afternoon temps hit. Perhaps that helped to keep it cold in there. Obviously, the temps would not be as low if the refrigerator side were in the sun, and/or the outside temp was above 95F, but would go to 35F or 32. (Often goes to 28F in cooler outside temps).

We had a new fan that we never took out of the package for inside the refrigerator and we never changed or moved any refrigerator parts. Others have reported similar with this refrigerator. Some have had problems where it was obviously just not working but they sometimes are referring to gas. We were plugged in, if that makes a difference.

I could not be happier with this refrigerator because I thought that the specs were that it would only work to 90F.

Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote