What is the best brand of rv fridge - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #21

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
I am using Whynter FM-65G 65-Quart Portable Refrigerator. Considering the extremely small dimensions of the freezer, I was nervous about not having enough room for the hundreds of ice cream sandwiches and drumsticks I needed to pass out at this event, however, I was happily surprised. I think I fit like 120 ice cream sandwiches and 60 or so drumsticks in there.
Do I think this item could be manufactured/sold at a more reasonable price tag? Most definitely. However, it is the only one on the market like this that I have seen so it may be more advanced than I give it credit for.

https://www.rvweb.net/best-rv-refrigerators-reviewed/
The cooler comes with a 12 volt cord that can be plugged into a car too though and that is a super neat feature. Easy to plug and play. Also, note that the handles are super durable and it makes moving the freezer around super easy. Overall love the thing and can't wait to get more and more creative at our events.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #22

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Wow, lots of back and forth on this, and no I am not going to read all of it.

Both the Norcold and Dometic fridges are great. The reason people have trouble with them, is not the fridge, its usually the installation. Proper venting up top, and I mean, not too much venting, but proper venting, it has to act like a chimney with a draft. Fridges in slide outs with a upper wall vent also are problematic as they don't get a good draft either. Norcold installation drawings are pretty clear about having baffles that force the air into the coils and the top of the coils being open. Few RV manufacturers get it right

I have had two Norcold 611's which worked great (just be sure and install the door bottom hinge reinforcement kit). I currently have a Dometic 2652. All were/are 6 cu ft fridge freezer with separate doors and compartments. They both get good and cold on propane or electric in the summer heat of the southeast. I tend to like the Norcold a little more, I think it is because I seem to be able to get more in it, but not sure. I do not like the external drain setup on the Dometic so I installed a aluminum catch with double sided sticky tape in the compartment and ran the new drain hose into it. The Dometic drain hose tends to become crumbly and I didn't want to use clear plastic tubing due to its close proximity to the hot pipes.

If you are unable to get the proper draft on the backside of a fridge, then fans are a cure, but at the expense of battery power. They are almost a necessity on fridges with the upper vent in the sidewall.

The other problem is air circulation inside, they need to have a space BEHIND the food so the cold air can descend to the bottom of the compartment.

I have read of several people having poor performing fridges and after they removed shelves or compartments above the fridge that were blocking the flow (backside above the fridge, not the inside) and then creating a tapered chimney from some sheet metal, the fridges worked fine. Its not much different than a oil furnace or wood stove that doesn't draft properly, vs one that the air flows thru correctly and has just enough restriction to keep the chimney from over drafting.

Charles
Old 11-15-2020, 01:00 PM   #23

Name: Neil
Trailer: Currently shopping
North Carolina
Rv fridges

Weve had Norcold And Dometic ammonia fridges the Dometic worked a little better but not much.Yes,they are an issue with any brand of camper.The top vent ones seemed to work better than the side vent ones imo.We bought a National Luna 40 litre compressor fridge that we keep in the back of the truck on a slide out bracket.It works great and uses little power.We use a Dometic lithium iron power supply called a PLB40.We use the truck to charge it.The Fridge can be run off 120 volts as well.It was an expensive set up but worth it.We have some medications that require refrigeration and just cant trust the ammonia fridges.
NandHwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge