What is the critique on this furnace? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2007, 08:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Surfside
I need to install a furnace into my Surfside ... I took out the old Hydroflame as my daughter kept on burning herself on it every time we used it, and I wanted the room to install an air conditioner when we moved down to Alabama. Since we are on our way back to Canada in summer 2008 , I was looking at this one for size ... it certainly puts out enough BTU (16000 for my purposes) ... any comments on it? - HYDRO FLAME™ EXCALIBUR IV COMPACT LP GAS FURNACE
Tim Garriock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:52 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The Hydro-Flame line is from Atwood; see their furnace page for details... okay, not much detail, since they don't post much on-line.

I did notice that the furnace is arranged like a typical water heater, with access from the outside via an access door the size of the whole end of the heater. They're quite proud of that. In contrast, a typical Suburban furnace has only smaller fitting for the vents. With a flat-sided trailer either is okay, but with a curved egg I would be concerned about how to fit the Hydro-Flame door... my water heater door is in a somewhat awkward "bump" on the side of the trailer. If the old Hydro Flame had the same outside door as a new one, that would be okay.

Atwood's Hydro-Flame Everest Star II has a configuration more like my old Suburban.

If you search the FiberglassRV forums for "Hydro Flame" (include the quotes, to get exactly that phrase) you'll find a few topics regarding this brand of furnace, but keep in mind that some refer to the old "gravity" or natural-convection design - presumably no longer made - which operates without a fan. Maybe the one which was taken out was one of those?

The FiberglassRV Document Center has (under Appliances) a set of furnace manuals, including what may be the same model as being considered.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I believe I saw one of the old Hydo-Flames on ebay recently...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have a hydro flame. I like it... when it works.

It is voltage sensitive, so it won't light if you are sitting at 11.9. 12v is fine.. but anything less.. fowghead aboud it.

It runs dwn the battery fast as well.. the fan.

I am switching to a wave heater.. eventually.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace