What is this window channel trim called? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I've searched many postings and can't seem to find the name for the channel trim on my UHaul windows that needs to be replaced. This is black flexible plastic that fits into the channel of the sliding windows and squeegees the water off the glass and into the channel to drain. Right now, this plastic channel trim has shrunken, causing the water to go down into the soft material on which the windows slide. What is this channel trim stuff called? Is it fairly easy to find? Is it unique to my trailer or will other trim fit?

Thanks!

Kevin
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Kevin, I THINK you'll find what you need here on the Helpful-Links - Windows and Window Parts ...the last listing.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Kevin,
We are running into the same problem with our windows in our 13 Uhaul too. Did you find anything that will work? We took the windows out, replaced any pieces we could (which was only the window felt) and put on new rubber on the outside. Washed the camper and then mopped the floor inside! It's not the rubber gasket that leaks, that's as tight as a drum. (We did have them installed by a window guy though, took him all of about 1 hr to put in the 3 windows). The water just sat in the track and ran back in. We can't find anything that will replace that shrunken, cracked piece either!! Al's suggestion is to take out the windows and put plexiglass over it, which is a better option than the wood panels I thought he would want to nail to it!!! LOL Of course I am trying to convince him other wise!
Al & Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
Kevin,
We are running into the same problem with our windows in our 13 Uhaul too. Did you find anything that will work? We took the windows out, replaced any pieces we could (which was only the window felt) and put on new rubber on the outside. Washed the camper and then mopped the floor inside! It's not the rubber gasket that leaks, that's as tight as a drum. (We did have them installed by a window guy though, took him all of about 1 hr to put in the 3 windows). The water just sat in the track and ran back in. We can't find anything that will replace that shrunken, cracked piece either!! Al's suggestion is to take out the windows and put plexiglass over it, which is a better option than the wood panels I thought he would want to nail to it!!! LOL Of course I am trying to convince him other wise!
I haven't had any luck yet. I'm going to send in a short piece to the restoration company listed in the Helpful-Links. They asked to see it... to see if they had a similar product. I didn't spot anything on their website that looked the same, so I've just carefully caulked the offending areas for now. Seems to be holding tight, but I can't move the sliding window there.

Kevin
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #5

Thanks! This is awful isnt' it? Our neighbor is going to a camper "junk yard" for us today to see what he can find. He took the piece with him. Where are you sending your piece? Restoration Specialties doesn't have it, we sent it there, and took it to them the beginning of the month. The only place that I found that may have a piece that is similar was Pellandent, but they didn't send me a sample when I requested it. I'm going to call them tomorrow again. The piece looks similar, but looks too wide. And, it's almost $4.00 a foot, we figure we need about 8 feet. I'll let you know if we find anything, I don't have much hope! I was so desperate last night, I tried to fit a bungee cord in there, figuring that if it fit, we could just attach the "squeegee" part to that. It didn't fit, too loose. But, it may be an option if we can come up with something that fits in the channel.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I wonder if Trim Lok would have what you folks are looking for Check out their website: Trim-Lok Inc....might be worth a call too...maybe there's a distributor in your area.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #7

Thanks Donna,
Looked at the TrimLok site a few times without success! Al went to a truck cap place and they are going to see if they can find anything, but we are not hopeful. I went to an auto glass shop yesterday, no luck. I don't think we are going to find the exact match, we are going to have to be inventors.
Necessity is the mother of invention right? And Mother's Day is tomorrow! The weather had better be nice for the Luray, VA Rally or we will be floating instead of camping !!!
Old 05-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Kevin received an email from Restoration-something that makes trim for vintage Airstreams. They want a sample to see if they can duplicate it. So if we do this, we will keep you in the loop.

CindyL
Old 07-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 1978 Boler
Quote:
Kevin received an email from Restoration-something that makes trim for vintage Airstreams. They want a sample to see if they can duplicate it. So if we do this, we will keep you in the loop.

CindyL
Hi, My window trim is the same in my 1978 boler 13 footer and I haven't found any replacements in any of the links provided here. Really looking foward to your investigation.
Russ
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote