Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1431012440.711471.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	83673Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1431012455.259264.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	83674

I have a 2008 Bigfoot 25b21rb. Bought this used and this is in front upper storage.
Wired for solar? More lights?
Thanks
Chris

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Old 05-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
It looks like your trailer was "pre-Wired" for solar. radio, or TV. I cant tell if the wire is coaxial cable or wire for a solar install. This might have been done at the factory or by someone else after it left the factory. The first thing I would do is look on the roof in the area just above the trailer. Do you have an unused radio or TV antenna on the roof or maybe a coil of wire ?

Old 05-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
A closeup of the end connector would help, but my first guess is a radio antenna cable. Apparently Bigfoot always includes that cable whether or not a radio is ordered. I had one in my BigFoot and I installed a radio to use it.

Walt
Old 05-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
It's kinda hard to guess where a wire might go to, especially on a 10 year old trailer than may have been subjected to previous owner mods. It appears to have two caps on the end suggesting that it is/was a powered wire and, by it's size, was intended for 120VAC. Why don't you try to locate the other end, that will give us all a clue to work with.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Is your electrical system located in a cabinet on the floor. This wire could just dead end in the cabinet by your panel and was put there for future expansion. I have some 14-2 romex that goes from the area by the panel to the upper cabinet in the galley. Most likely for a microwave. It was factory in case someone wanted it in the future.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #6

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Chris, Try uncoiling a stretch of the wire, read the spec numbers printed on the outer jacket, and Google it. I can just barely read a few numbers from the closest photo, and if I had to guess, it looks like it's a 2-wire, 14 gauge, black-jacketed AC power supply wire. If so, other owners and the factory are probably your best sources as to why it's there. Depending on where the other end is (near the 120V AC breaker box?), you can probably use it for any number of things - your call. Again, just me guessing from your photos.... Dale
Old 05-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
Wire

Looks like water resistant 14 ga. Cable. I haven't removed caps at end so maybe it is hot. Just thought I would ask. I have radio and there is antenna on roof for it
Appears that cable goes down and not up from this cabinet so I suppose it is for adding maybe solar thru roof?
Old 05-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #8

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
must be a Bigfoot "thing"

looking at it I would say it was probably done at the factory.....those little clear plastic terminals and bands is exactly what I found in my 97...in a couple of places !!! looks like they included enough wire on yours to install a panel anywhere on the roof (no splices)

pic is of a bundle I found under the sink....there's another bundle in the storage compartment, street side...but those wires are headed in the opposite direction(???)...so it's a real mystery...so far
Attached Thumbnails
100_4562.jpg  
Old 05-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #9

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Do you see a fuse or breaker labeled for anything that might relate to it? It would seem logical that if the factory thought ahead enough to provide the pre-wiring for some device, they also would have pre-wired it through some fuse or breaker to protect that device. A multi-tester would tell you pretty quickly if one of the wires is hot and/or if one is already grounded to the camper's grounding system. You could check 12V DC without the camper connected to shore power then connect to shore power to check for 120V AC. Either way, extra factory installed wiring is a gift! Once you find where the other end is, you never know what job(s) you'll find for it to do (to power small interior fan, AM/FM radio, HAM radio, TV, smart device charger, privacy reading light, etc., etc., etc). The original owners of our EggCamper installed three 12V deep cycle batteries on the tongue and ran a dedicated pair of marine-grade, tinned, 8 gauge wires from the batteries back through the wall and cabinets to a 1000 watt pure sine-wave inverter back near the bed to power two CPAP breathing assistance machines through the night while boondocking. We took out the inverter and use those wires to power our 12V DC TV and a small fan over the bed. We might not have added those if the wiring wasn't already in place. For what it's worth, we now travel with only two of the three batteries just to lighten the tongue weight a bit, and I'm sure we could get by with just one if we needed to lighten it more.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #10

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1999 Bigfoot 21RB 2500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi there is a cap on each wire so it is not co ax cable two caps means it is probably wire for solar and if u bought it used maybe the owner removed the solar panels but left in the wiring, I dont think Bigfoot would leave wire like that in a cupboard, u need to go on your roof and see if there was ever a solar panel up there and that will answer your question. It looks like it in cupboard above drivers window so that would be a haerd place for someone to fish wires, if u take off wire caps is there 12volt power there.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #11

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Do the plastic covers come off the ends of the cable - looks a lot like a solar connection to me. If the covers come off perhaps a photo of the actual connection might help ID the wire. Otherwise did Bigfoot not install the optional radio at the end of that cabinet? Space on the face of the cabinet right where the wire is. Could be an antenna wire possible for that?

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot