What kind of metal is stovetop in Trillium? want to paint it - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Hi all

I have tried very hard and used everything to try to make my stovetop look nice in my Trillium 1300 (1975) but it is pitted and has black marks that will not come off (even with a sand blaster which makes it look dull). So I was wondering:

1. What kind of metal is it made from (Stainless Steel, Aluminum ?)

2. What kind of paint and painting process would be used to paint it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Darren Pettis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Darren, it is just mild steel(hence the rusting where condensation pools) -chrome plated. I had mine sandblasted and powder coated at the local hot rod shop...thirty bucks. I had it done in white...shoulda gone with black as there was a bit of discolouring from use at the base of one burner . Also the steel grates bounce a bit in travel- even with the clips on - and left a few little marks. I use the stove so rarely that it doesnt much concern me. Plus I have a topper that covers the stove. And we usually cook outside or use a one burner hotplate on the topper on the few cook-inside days.
Cheers...Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 73 Boler
Quote:
Hi all

I have tried very hard and used everything to try to make my stovetop look nice in my Trillium 1300 (1975) but it is pitted and has black marks that will not come off (even with a sand blaster which makes it look dull). So I was wondering:

thanks
Mine is a 73 Boler the stove is a Coleman 2 Burner: Same problem, my solution was to have it sandblasted give it a good sanding and then 3 coats of automotive primer sand lightly and then apply 2 coats of white high heat enamel. Once I get it re-installed I will post a picture.
K Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Hi Alistair

Thanks for the tip. I hope I can find someone to do it for $30.
Powder coating sounds like the best option for me.
I don't use my stove inside either, just want make it look nice.
These trailers are so small that you can't go far without something in sight of you at all times.

-Darren
Darren Pettis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #5

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Sanded mine with a sander then put 4 coats of Epoxy Enamel Appliance paint on it that I got at lowes...Works great just don't match exactly...I'll post a picture......
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Hi all

thanks
I found a shop that does ceramic coating(used on exhaust headers) that withstands car exhaust temperatures(I've seen them glowing red on a 440 truck pulling engine). They usually have a semi-gloss black finish, and it looks good. They also do powder but were concerned about heat damage. I havn't used the stove yet so can't comment on longevity. Cost about $45.
Bill

Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting, trillium