What kind of tarp would make a good awning? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Vinyl Beaded Welt is better than sewing in a rope cord..... with this product you turn the edge of your material and sew it to this tab which then slides into your awning rail.... If you go this route measure the inside of your slide rail and make sure this product will fit in it.
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/produc..._ProdID_E_3517

this rail would also work if you don't have the rail
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/A...num/index.html

This is a very good site and prices are reasonable they also sell material for tarps so just look around for recomendations on that site....
As for material sunbrella is the best and can be purchased in stripes if you want.... bargain vinyl material will tear under high winds. I personally like cotton duct an example would be a painters tarp which will breathe when dry and then when it gets wet the fibers swell and it becomes water resistant.....the only problem with this is if it gets wet and you have to leave that means you will be packing it up wet as it takes a few hours to dry out while set-up
Joe

Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #16

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Great idea Darnelle and Joe Z!

Joe---I think you just saved me alot of headache---as the other night I lay in bed and wondered if I had the correct pressor foot for my sewing machine that would enable me to sew close to the cord---now I don't have to worry about it if I get the vinyl beaded welt! And pooh---I didn't know that about canvas (swelling when wet) as that's the way I really wanted to go, but I chickened out and ordered vinyl tarp. Hopefully it's not real cheap---it was described as heavy duty and the reg. price was $80 for a 6 'x 8'. I figure if I really don't like it---we'll use it to cover stuff in the truck and I'll get something else!

Thanks guys---I love this think tank!!

Old 03-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #17

New River AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Great idea Darnelle and Joe Z!

Joe---I think you just saved me alot of headache---as the other night I lay in bed and wondered if I had the correct pressor foot for my sewing machine that would enable me to sew close to the cord---now I don't have to worry about it if I get the vinyl beaded welt! And pooh---I didn't know that about canvas (swelling when wet) as that's the way I really wanted to go, but I chickened out and ordered vinyl tarp. Hopefully it's not real cheap---it was described as heavy duty and the reg. price was $80 for a 6 'x 8'. I figure if I really don't like it---we'll use it to cover stuff in the truck and I'll get something else!

Thanks guys---I love this think tank!!
I used to have a small Internet store of boat hardware for canvas tops and this item was a favorite amongst the RV Crowd . I hope your machine is a little larger than a small household machine to sew thru the vinyl beaded welt and two layers of vinyl?
Acrylic like Sunbrella is better than cotton duct as it's lighter and dries quicker but it has to be cut with a hot knife or it will fray..... or just double fold it to hide the cut edge before sewing down....you don't need to get sunbrella,just look thru that store under "Acrylic" Material and the no-name brands do almost as well and for a lot less money...
At $80 asking price for that size vinyl tarp it's priced to be a better grade so should be okay.
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
vinyl welt tab.JPG   vinyl welt tab demo1.JPG  

Old 03-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #18

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Wow-----great pics! Many thanks!

Yes, I've thought about my poor sewing machine---keeping an eye out for a more heavy duty/used commercial type. Wish I could find one.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #19

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Wife has a nice Pfaff and I have two sewing machines. One is a late 1980's Singer Featherweght that has all the gadgets. The other is an old Singer 'type' from about 1930. It's black, looks like a boat anchor, and only stitches in one direction but I use it for heavy canvas bags and leather knife sheaths. If you want a reverse stitch then you have to turn the material around. Can't break those old goodies.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I have a Singer Featherweight from the 1950s. Small little machine but what a work horse. I've sewn multiple layers of heavyduty Levi's with nary a dropped or popped stitched.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #21

Nebraska
Registry
I may go try my local Goodwill and see if I can find one! Like you said, I just need something that goes forward!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Vickie, try your local Craigslist or free shopper newspaper. The Nickle Ads is where I found my Featherweight... it was being sold at an estate sale and was advertised as an "old" small Singer. The "family" that was doing the estate sale didn't have any idea what it really was other than an old sewing machine, and I SCORED! It still had the original book and attachments.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #23

Nebraska
Registry
Good idea, Donna---and I found a really nice one---all metal parts and reconditioned. But $175! Then I found an actual apholstery (sp) machine for sale about 76 miles from me, but they didn't mention price. I'll keep looking!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #24

New River AZ
While the commercial single foot machines will do a good job.....If you can find a "Walking Foot Machine" for upholstery work you would be so Happy..... I have a Consew206RB-2
Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
We use a rainfly from an old backpacking tent (ripstop nylon).
Ran a rope through one seam to thread through the awning rail, with rope ends hanging out a bit to help pull it through the rail.
For poles, we stole the pieces from a roof snow rake (worthless on our heavy snow), using 2 snap together sections for each side and hook them to grommets about midway down the rainfly.
We like the extra length of the rainfly, because we stake down the ends and have a semi-enclosure (very nice when it's raining and windy)
Finally, we put some corks in the bottom of the tubing pieces so they don't pick up dirt.
It all comes apart and packs into an old collapsible chair bag that we had, plus the rainfly dries very quickly if it's been raining, and is a pleasant sunshade, too.

Cost - zero
Works slick
Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #26

Name: B
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Oregon
Awning

I want an awning, too!
I've got a sweet little Compact II, with the door in the back of the trailer, so there's less room (maybe 6 ft) for the width of the awning.
Unfortunately, they didn't come with an awning track (they originally had small window awnings on both sides of the trailer...but nothing to offer shelter from the rain and the sun, if you want to sit or eat under cover).
I can't get a visual picture of throwing a tarp over the length of my trailer and attaching it to SOMETHING on the other side...like what do I attach it to?
Can you possibly take a pic and post what it looks like?
Or if anyone has any ideas for a trailer without a railing to attach the fabric to, please let me know !!!
What would PETE do?!!!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #27

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1987 19 ft Scamp 5th Wheel
Michigan
We have three ropes of appropriate lengths tied to the tarp that we throw over the top of our trailer. Two hook on to the supports for our window awnings and one hooks to a loop attached to the floor of the trailer. We use a soft nylon line so we don't abrade the finish. The tarp over laps the roof by about two feet. We then use old poles lines and stakes to arrange the tarp however we wish. The whole set up fits in an old nylon bag for an old rain shelter we own from our tenting days.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #28

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
I want an awning, too!
I've got a sweet little Compact II, with the door in the back of the trailer, so there's less room (maybe 6 ft) for the width of the awning.
Unfortunately, they didn't come with an awning track (they originally had small window awnings on both sides of the trailer...but nothing to offer shelter from the rain and the sun, if you want to sit or eat under cover).
I can't get a visual picture of throwing a tarp over the length of my trailer and attaching it to SOMETHING on the other side...like what do I attach it to?
Can you possibly take a pic and post what it looks like?
Or if anyone has any ideas for a trailer without a railing to attach the fabric to, please let me know !!!
What would PETE do?!!!!!
There's a guy on E bay that has new bag awnings starting at 6' with the awning rail for just under $200.00 with free shipping.

Tags
awning