What kind of tarp would make a good awning? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
I may go try my local Goodwill and see if I can find one! Like you said, I just need something that goes forward!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Vickie, try your local Craigslist or free shopper newspaper. The Nickle Ads is where I found my Featherweight... it was being sold at an estate sale and was advertised as an "old" small Singer. The "family" that was doing the estate sale didn't have any idea what it really was other than an old sewing machine, and I SCORED! It still had the original book and attachments.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #23

Registry
Good idea, Donna---and I found a really nice one---all metal parts and reconditioned. But $175! Then I found an actual apholstery (sp) machine for sale about 76 miles from me, but they didn't mention price. I'll keep looking!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #24

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
While the commercial single foot machines will do a good job.....If you can find a "Walking Foot Machine" for upholstery work you would be so Happy..... I have a Consew206RB-2
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
We use a rainfly from an old backpacking tent (ripstop nylon).
Ran a rope through one seam to thread through the awning rail, with rope ends hanging out a bit to help pull it through the rail.
For poles, we stole the pieces from a roof snow rake (worthless on our heavy snow), using 2 snap together sections for each side and hook them to grommets about midway down the rainfly.
We like the extra length of the rainfly, because we stake down the ends and have a semi-enclosure (very nice when it's raining and windy)
Finally, we put some corks in the bottom of the tubing pieces so they don't pick up dirt.
It all comes apart and packs into an old collapsible chair bag that we had, plus the rainfly dries very quickly if it's been raining, and is a pleasant sunshade, too.

Cost - zero
Works slick
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #26

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Awning

I want an awning, too!
I've got a sweet little Compact II, with the door in the back of the trailer, so there's less room (maybe 6 ft) for the width of the awning.
Unfortunately, they didn't come with an awning track (they originally had small window awnings on both sides of the trailer...but nothing to offer shelter from the rain and the sun, if you want to sit or eat under cover).
I can't get a visual picture of throwing a tarp over the length of my trailer and attaching it to SOMETHING on the other side...like what do I attach it to?
Can you possibly take a pic and post what it looks like?
Or if anyone has any ideas for a trailer without a railing to attach the fabric to, please let me know !!!
What would PETE do?!!!!!
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #27

Trailer: 1987 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We have three ropes of appropriate lengths tied to the tarp that we throw over the top of our trailer. Two hook on to the supports for our window awnings and one hooks to a loop attached to the floor of the trailer. We use a soft nylon line so we don't abrade the finish. The tarp over laps the roof by about two feet. We then use old poles lines and stakes to arrange the tarp however we wish. The whole set up fits in an old nylon bag for an old rain shelter we own from our tenting days.
Jim Bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #28

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
I want an awning, too!
I've got a sweet little Compact II, with the door in the back of the trailer, so there's less room (maybe 6 ft) for the width of the awning.
Unfortunately, they didn't come with an awning track (they originally had small window awnings on both sides of the trailer...but nothing to offer shelter from the rain and the sun, if you want to sit or eat under cover).
I can't get a visual picture of throwing a tarp over the length of my trailer and attaching it to SOMETHING on the other side...like what do I attach it to?
Can you possibly take a pic and post what it looks like?
Or if anyone has any ideas for a trailer without a railing to attach the fabric to, please let me know !!!
What would PETE do?!!!!!
There's a guy on E bay that has new bag awnings starting at 6' with the awning rail for just under $200.00 with free shipping.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #29

Registry
Boy, this has turned up some GREAT ideas! I hope everyone looking for awning ideas has seen all these posts!

Connie M.---you are like the McGiver of awnings!!!!! Awesome brain work!

Got my tarp---it is a VERY NICE one! I'll post pics when I get it done!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #30

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I freecycled mine from from a damaged 16 foot roll out one that was on a 30 ft trailer.
RV dealers change these all the time and usually trash the old one cuz it will never fit anything else. because it's always bigger than anything we egg campers would need, it works out great. any tent and awning place will stitch the edges and sew in a channel bead and a couple of grommets. I have a big old sewing machine so I did it myself.
Attached Thumbnails
surfside.small.jpg  
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #31

Registry
That looks super, Scott!

Well, so far I have cut the grommets off one end, turned a hem, and sewed in a new rope. Tried it out and it fits great in the track!

My only problem was trying to use a thicker cord type thread when sewing---my machine didn't like it much--no matter how I adjusted the tension, foot pressure, etc. So I just lumbered along for an hour (slow going for just 6 ft!) One side looked fine--the other side was a really loopy thread mess. However, it IS tightly stitched (I tried taking the stitches out!) and it doesn't show when in use---just bugs me. But I'm happy with it all in all.

Now I need to work on the screening and privacy panels.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:04 PM   #32

Name: Laura
Trailer: Forest river
Texas
With enough YouTube and Google time I've recently learned how to replace my electric awning with a tarp and so far it's serving same job rhag awning did and was 1/10 the price. Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
I am going to make a new awning for Bean (the one I have is cream/green stripes).

I've looked at the fabric stores, considered Sunbrella material, etc., but think I would like to use a tarp. Tarps Plus is having a winter sale online that ends tonight, so I want to order today.

Who knew there were soooo many to choose from? Anyway, does anyone out there use a tarp for the awning, or knows something about tarps. I want one that provides shade and water resistant/proof would be great. Which would be the poly or vinyl. I am leaning toward the vinyl, as I'm hoping it will look nicer. They have all sorts of colors--would go with tan probably.

I also stopped at my local Ace Hardware today, and on their closeout isle I found a "double garage door" screen door. Basically a big rectangle of screen with metal rods on the bottom for weight, grommets on the top, and split in the center with magnets to hold the "door" together. I scooped up two of them, and think I can attach them to my new awning for a simple, screen room. If this works, I won't need to put up my big screen room all the time.

So---anybody have any thoughts about the tarp to use???

Thanks,
Vickie
Miabrown713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #33

Trailer: 1987 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
What kind of tarp would make a good awning?

I remember camping in Tennessee in the summer. We had a vinyl tarp that provided shade, but held in all the humidity. It was pricey, but we ordered a Sunbrella tarp on line. The difference was worth it. It has held up well. One advantage to the tarp, tent poles and rope system is the flexibility. Need more privacy, move the supports and fold it down. Storm coming, lash it to the picnic table.
Jim Bago is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning