What options on a Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
What options on a Scamp

Hi...I'm new to the forum...I've been considering buying a trailer and I'm leaning towards the Scamp 13, probably new....I'm just trying to decide what options I might get....the basic setup is fine with me...I would really like a toilet, but I don't care about the shower...I really don't think I would use it...so it's either the bathroom with just a toilet, or a porta potty...I would also like the extra room without the bathroom/shower....what other options might be useful or necessary?

I've considered the following...

furnace
ceiling fan
brakes
extra interior and exterior lights
bike hitch
jack wheel
vinyl floor
extra 12v and 120v plugs

I like the idea of the front sofa/bunks, so I can leave the bed up all the time, and I would have a folding table....

I anticipate parking at camps most of the time...

and most of the time it would probably be just me traveling...

so any suggestions would be helpful, even for anything that i did not mention...

thanks
RV Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
And the basic option package, I presume: fridge, screen door, silverware drawer, front or rear overhead cabinets, battery, gravel guard.

If you plan to travel a lot, it might be good to get both sets of extra upper cabinets- front and rear (package include one or the other, I believe).

I believe AC prep is now standard, but if not, you should get it. You or a future owner might want to add AC at some point. It includes fiberglass reinforcement and wiring.

There is a compartment designed for a small porta-potty.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I will take an opposite view. Here is what not to get, though I like your initial list. I wouldn't get a kitchen exhaust fan unless you fry a lot of bacon or such. Also, I hate the front mounted sewer hose that Scamp provides. I asked them not to mount it and planned to put it underneath. I wouldn't get the small frig Scamp offers, get the larger one if possible or an icebox or aftermarket 12 volt only frig. I hate going outside every time I want to adjust my frig. Don't get the Suburban furnace, but a more efficient and quiet Atwood model later, though that will cost more.

Do get an escape hatch if possible. I miss the light and air in mine. I would also get/add later some task lighting over your couch/bunkbeds. Also switch all lights to LED.

Cheers, and good luck with your new Trailer. John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:49 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Jeff, just curious what you plan to tow it with. Scamp says the dry weight is 1250 pounds, but most people find, after they add a few options and pack all their stuff, it ends up around 1500-1800 pounds.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:35 AM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
depends on how you will use your camper. I have a 13 foot scamp.
my wife and I generaly camp at state or national campgrounds. we use the shower and toilet facilities there so I chose to forgo a toilet /shower in our camper. we do carry a portapotty under the couch,,,and so far the wife only needed it once in the middle of the night, instead I got the couch/bunkbeds up front. this gives us a place to sit when its chilly or rainy, as we normaly leave our dinette made up into a bed, and allows 2 of our grand kids sleeping space. depending again on how you camp,,,i have a nice ceramic electric heater that quietly keeps us nice and warm in all conditions. I do sometimes camp where there is no power, (squirrel hunting camp and such) so the gas furnace is nice to have. my wife has breathing problems so the air conditioning was an absolute for her comfort.
we can tow with the wifes jeep liberty like its not even there,,,my ford ranger did a great job,,and now with my siverado,,,I feel like I need to put a note on the dash so I don't forget its back there.

the things I would say are must haves,,,
silverware drawer, window over stove, screen door, refridgerator,3 speed reversible ceiling fan,city water and the awning.
I also added a cabinet above the couch.
one thing we added that's nice but not critical, is a trailer receptacle on the rear bumper for our bike rack.
one caution on the awning....I find when the temp. drops, there is enough aluminium on the mounting brackets that condensation from your breath forms on the bolts inside the camper,,,,seems an odd thing,,,specialy when about 1 in the morning the condensation drips on your face as you sleep...it's not leaking,,, so don't panic, just sleep with your head the other way round next time.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #6

New York
Scamp options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Jeff, just curious what you plan to tow it with. Scamp says the dry weight is 1250 pounds, but most people find, after they add a few options and pack all their stuff, it ends up around 1500-1800 pounds.

I have a 2010 Subaru Forester...
Old 09-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #7

New York
What Options on a Scamp

thanks for all the replies and information...it's been really helpful...
Old 09-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Screen Door!!!! - every Fiberglass rally I have attended owners of Bolers and pretty well every make of fiberglass trailers will take pictures & measurements of the one on my scamp and want to recreate it for their own.

Fantastic Fan - thats probable the one item I added to the trailer that gave me the biggest bang for the buck. Makes it a lot more livable when camping in hot weather without power.

LED lights - Second to the Fantastic Fan of making camping without power connection very do able. Big savings on battery power.

A Fridge that runs on propane - again a life saver when camping without power and no sun for the solar to work well in.

Cabinets - I have added a number of the optional cabinets to my trailer since I purchased it. Would order all they offered if I was buying new. Front and rear overheads, cutlery drawer, bottom door for the closet, under the fridge etc.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #9

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Screen Door!!!! - every Fiberglass rally I have attended owners of Bolers and pretty well every make of fiberglass trailers will take pictures & measurements of the one on my scamp and want to recreate it for their own.

Fantastic Fan - thats probable the one item I added to the trailer that gave me the biggest bang for the buck. Makes it a lot more livable when camping in hot weather without power.

LED lights - Second to the Fantastic Fan of making camping without power connection very do able. Big savings on battery power.

A Fridge that runs on propane - again a life saver when camping without power and no sun for the solar to work well in.

Cabinets - I have added a number of the optional cabinets to my trailer since I purchased it. Would order all they offered if I was buying new. Front and rear overheads, cutlery drawer, bottom door for the closet, under the fridge etc.
Does Scamp offer the actual Fantastic Fan or just a generic 3 speed fan?
Old 09-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
All the cabinets (and drawers) I could get, leave off the stinky slinky tube, extra 12 and 120 volt outlets (really think/ask Scamp about the locations) awning, and screen door. As Carol mentioned I too have had envious campers come by and marvel at my screen door. If cost really is an issue you might leave off the awning, but I like having mine even though it is the old, hard to deploy version.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Rabbit View Post
Not 100% sure but from the photos on their website it appears to be a Fantastic Fan. Best to ask them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #12

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
What options on a Scamp

Ours is/was a genuine Fantastic fan.

Maybe omit the furnace. A small electric space heater and/or a good sleeping bag will probably do just fine.

Make sure the nose jack wheel actually pins to the jack. Otherwise omit it and buy one from Camping World or a truck/trailer/hitch place. The one they tried to give me didn't have a pin and I rejected it.

Are you getting the 54" bed? If so, you might really want the taller door under the sink that you will get by omitting the furnace.

We really like our 54" bed!

Good luck! 😀

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Carol is right... get a screen door. AND any (storage) cabinets you can. You don't think you'll ever use a shower. Remember, just because you have it... doesn't mean you need to use it... until you need to!

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #14

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Have them install a cabinet door on the bottom half of the closet.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:25 AM   #15

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Rabbit View Post
My 2014 came with a fantastic fan.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp