What porta potty to buy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2016, 11:32 PM   #1

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
What porta potty to buy

Need porta potty or whatever for small scamp. Mainly for wife only. Can be emptied daily not a problem. Any suggestions for models, brands, makeshift, etc. would be helpful.
denny w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:56 AM   #2

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
What porta potty to buy

http://www.buyhappybowl.com

Well, this question is going to generate a storm of answers and opinions
But if you get a traditional porta-potti, use the Happy Bowl Liners. They work great and save a lot of hassle and yukky bowl cleaning.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Here we go again.... :-)
You (and wife) have two requirements: 1) it needs to fit your storage space 2) it needs to fit your butt

Other than that, it's all personal (with lots of opinions!)
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
This will also stir up contraversy but with owning 5 different portapoties and my wife being the true judge she loves our turbo toilet from black line sports . It is very simple to use and folds down to about 3 inches for stowing. We won't use anything else.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
We prefer a smaller unit. Our current one holds about 3 gallons of water, that's about 24 pounds and light enough to empty easily. There are 3 of us -- adults use only at night and only for liquids. Toilet paper goes into a plastic trash bag. Our daughter isn't good about following this routine. Even so, with a little Mr. Clean added on a Friday, we don't empty until the weekend is over. No stink at all. It works great. The blue stuff makes me gag.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #6

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Easy Peasy....We do have a bathroom in the Casita but mostly use the Reliance, below. I also have and use a Thetford similar to this (on Amazon):

THETFORD PORTA POTTI 260B MARINE 92862

and this:

Reliance Products Hassock Portable Lightweight Self-Contained Toilet (colors may vary)

We use kitchen bags and kitty litter in the Reliance. Have used the degradable bags and the Eco stuff but too expensive and no real advantage.

Tie the bags when done and throw in the garbage. If you don't find that acceptable use the Thetford and empty in the roadside toilets (although, some rest areas may prohibit such disposal).
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
After a fair amount of looking and to make the wife more comfortable.
If you have the space I like the Thetford Curve. The height and the style
are what sold me and it had mostly 5 star reviews on Amazon.
I have not purchased mine yet but will be getting one around early May.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #8

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Wife Not wide! I'm in trouble now. Lol
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny w View Post
Need porta potty or whatever for small scamp. Mainly for wife only. Can be emptied daily not a problem. Any suggestions for models, brands, makeshift, etc. would be helpful.
Thetford model 135 is the right size to fit under the center of the bench in the front of the trailer. It is easy to service, reliably built, and reasonably priced.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Denny , I think most of the Porta Potties on the market are good. Be careful with a Scamp or similar trailer. Don't get a nice big one then find it won't slide under the front couch. My potty barely slides under the couch. I cut open the box it came in to make a flat box to make it easier to slide the potty in and out, and I put paper towels in this shallow box to catch any splashes on rough or off road situations. That seldom happens and my be caused by overfilling. No smells and not too hard to dump. Wash ya hands before eating the bacon !
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:53 PM   #11

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
This is Laura (not Bill), we have the Thetford Curve. I have sat on it but not "used" it yet, but it sits nicely. For what it's worth....
Old 01-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
anything Thetford is good for your tushy. I recently upgraded to a Curve. Its very cool. The only problem I have with it is not the fault of the product..I am only 5 feet tall, and if it were any higher, I would be looking like Roseann Rosanna Danna when sitting on it....AND THATS THE TRUFTHHHHHHH
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #13

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
I'd like to try your idea using Mr. Clean. How much Mr Clean do you add? And how much water, if any, do you mix with it? And do you add it to the top or the bottom section or both? If only to the bottom, what do you rinse the bowl down with after going? And do you use the top section holding tank or do you use a dishwashing squirt bottle or something to rinse the bowl as many suggest on this forum?
denny w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
We fill the "flush" reservoir on the toilet with clean water. After the first use we toss a good splash of Mr. Clean into the bowl and flush using the pump. I've never measured so I'm guessing it's about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the cleanser and we use the pump flush about 3 times per use. We use very mild cleansers so mostly just soap and water as/when needed.

I got this tip from a camping friend years ago and were amazed the first time we tried it. We use the porta potty sparingly however -- used only at night as much as possible, only wee, and toilet paper into its own garbage (though our little girl forgets this step).
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:23 PM   #15

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
I went through a lot of toilets when preparing to get a campervan (only to instead get a pickup truck and a Casita).

For a "portable" toilet you can either have one that is easy-to-use, or one that is easy-to-clean. An easy-to-use one would be a Thetford toilet, which is basically a regular toilet, that you have to empty. An easy-to-clean one would be a Luggable Loo, or similar 5 gal bucket with a toilet seat, and poop bag. The Luggable Loo would also require a pee bottle. I used a Thetford, though I had to drink about 4 beers before I would clean it. The Luggable Loo took about 10 seconds to clean.

You could also get a 5gal bucket and put kitty litter in it, as a Poor Man's Luggable Loo. You could also use a 5 gal bucket to make a Poor Man's Composting Toilet, using woodchips or whatever it is they put in there.

If you have $1000, you could get a fancy Composting Toilet, but it would need to be mounted to something stable. I know a guy with one in his RV, and he empties it every few months.

If I ever get a cargo/stealth Van to tow my Casita, I will put a fancy Composting Toilet in it, mounted to the floor. Then my Casita's toilet will just be a urinal.

I spent a lot of money on different toilets, and ending up just keeping the Luggable Loo in my truck ("just in case"). I had to throw away the other toilets, as none of my friends would take them (and they were spotless from Clorox washing). Apparently used toilets don't make good hand-me-downs.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Used port-a-potties are very inexpensive on kijiji. You just don't see them very often. I got one for around $20. This after I purchased a brand new Thetford 135 for $100, on sale.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:15 PM   #17

Name: Bernie
Trailer: Researching Options
Kentucky
What do you think of this Dry Flush toilet

What are your thoughts on the Laveo Dry Flush??

Other than the expense, I like the simplicity of it. Odorless, easy to dump and no cleaning needed!!! It is tall which you can make mods to accommodate.

Thanks!!

Bernie
BernieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:32 PM   #18

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
You've received good advice so far. My comments have more to do with the use of the porta-pottie. BTW we just use the one that came with our Scamp, a Dometic. It fits under the bench and is hidden by the little door. I would prefer that ours was a bit taller as we have to stoop lower than a traditional toilet. It's 12 inches high. Our toilet at home is 16" high. I suppose one could put a 4" step under the pottie to raise it's height.

I put a carpet square/sample on the floor of the pottie cabinet and put an area rug on the trailer floor so the pottie slides easily. We store the pottie facing in so that the handles face out. That way, we can easily pull out the pottie. At night, after we've locked the door, we pull out and place the pottie in the doorway "alcove". This makes a little stall that's easy to get to and we can hold onto the bench when getting up and down. For a semblance of privacy we open the closet door and the person in bed cannot see beyond it.

We now use a squirt bottle to pre-rinse and post-rinse the bowl. As for others our pottie is for pee only and we put toilet paper in a trash bag. If we need the pottie for #2 we put a couple pieces of TP in the bowl before so there are few/no streaks.

Almost any cleaner works in these simple potties. I have used laundry detergent, Pine Sol, dish soap. It is NOT OK to dump porta-potties that have added chemicals into outhouses as it destroys their chemical balance needed to work efficiently. Don't ask me the details because I don't know them.

If you'd like to read previous riveting discussions on this topic do a search at the "Search" button at the top of this page, drop down to "Search site/Google" and enter the words "potty or pottie" and read to your heart's content.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:50 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
It is NOT OK to dump porta-potties that have added chemicals into outhouses as it destroys their chemical balance needed to work efficiently. Don't ask me the details because I don't know them.
I don't think you will find a toilet odor solution today that contains bacteria-killing chemicals ( formaldehyde ). Read the label.
These are perfectly OK and safe to dump in outhouses or septic systems.
Attached Thumbnails
odor.jpg  
Old 07-20-2016, 11:41 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
It fits under the bench and is hidden by the little door. I would prefer that ours was a bit taller as we have to stoop lower than a traditional toilet. It's 12 inches high. Our toilet at home is 16" high. I suppose one could put a 4" step under the pottie to raise it's height.
Just a thought Gilda, not sure if you have room for it though. Build a 4" box/drawer that the PP can be stored in but flipped over with the PP on top of it for the extra height.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote