What's the best caulk to seal windows?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1974 and Burro 1986 17 ft Widebody
Hello All: It's time to work on two windows. I hear/tell that silicone is a no,no!! Please offer suggestions, brand names, and stores that have the caulk you have used.-- Thanks, and happy camping.-Mary Lynn K.
Mary Lynn K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Not caulk, butyl tape. Think sealing the window frame (from the underside) to the shell. Not blob stuff on the outside. It necessitates pulling the window(s) out. But once done, it should last 20 years or so. Quality butyl is available from any RV parts place. And it's cheap. Something like $8 for 25 feet.

More importantly, it's not difficult to do. I'm wearing the door window in my Scamp out the number of times I've pulled it out the last couple of years... planning a project!

On edit: you didn't say which trailer (I see you have a couple?) that you're working on. If it's the Trillium, here's a link to a topic that may interest you: Trillium window removal

Good luck, let us know how it goes
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
I have a couple of questions in regards to caulk which was used all around most windows and top access vent in my Scamp by the previous owner. How/when should a person remove the caulk in order to replace it with tape?

And two, the top vent is caulked all the way around on the roof but it did leak drips last fall in a rainstorm which concerns me. I have tried to find the leak using water from the hose without success so far. An ideas on how to find/repair vent hatch so it doesn't leak? (It is acrank open style hatch and has no fan.)

Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Quote:
Hello All: It's time to work on two windows. I hear/tell that silicone is a no,no!! Please offer suggestions, brand names, and stores that have the caulk you have used.-- Thanks, and happy camping.-Mary Lynn K.
Here is the butyl tape that Donna mentioned, in action. Pretty easy to work with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=...p;v=xpv4d45aaqM

I had temporarily put one of my windows back in with silicone and it was very difficult to get it back out again
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
I have a couple of questions in regards to caulk which was used all around most windows and top access vent in my Scamp by the previous owner. How/when should a person remove the caulk in order to replace it with tape?

And two, the top vent is caulked all the way around on the roof but it did leak drips last fall in a rainstorm which concerns me. I have tried to find the leak using water from the hose without success so far. An ideas on how to find/repair vent hatch so it doesn't leak? (It is acrank open style hatch and has no fan.)
Mark, in this instance vents are similar to windows. Use butyl between the frame and trailer shell. BUT, seal the outside using a quality caulk mentioned in this topic... good info from Per.
Butyl Tape, Siicone and sealing

The difference is vents are on the top and water has a tendency to pool around the vent. Where windows are on the vertical.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Here is the butyl tape that Donna mentioned, in action. Pretty easy to work with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=...p;v=xpv4d45aaqM

I had temporarily put one of my windows back in with silicone and it was very difficult to get it back out again
Donna: Apparently, I miss spoke about the windows I need to work on. I'm not taking them out of the Burro, just wanted to run a bead of caulk around the top of the windows, will the butyl tape do the same job. I don't want any rain drip problems inside the camper.-Mary Lynn K.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Donna: Apparently, I miss spoke about the windows I need to work on. I'm not taking them out of the Burro, just wanted to run a bead of caulk around the top of the windows, will the butyl tape do the same job. I don't want any rain drip problems inside the camper.-Mary Lynn K.
Donna: After typing, I just saw your reply to Mark and I clicked to the info. suggested. I'll get some FlexiSeal. Thanks. - Mary Lynn
Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Mary Lynn (edit: I'm really sorry but I had your name wrong)

I hope I don't sound too curmudgeonish here, but in my opinion it's never really right to put caulk on the outside of a window or vent (and it doesn't work). If it's leaking (at all), it needs to come out and have butyl tape (or caulk) put under the flange; if it's not leaking, there's no need for caulk on the outside.

The caulk on the outside may stop a few drips temporarily, but I think it will cause future hassle all out of proportion to what it's worth (also, when it does leak it's very hard to tell just where it has leaked, as the water can run in under it at one place, and then leak into the camper in another). For a temporary repair, I would suggest 3M's #225 long-mask tape. It will cover any leaking gaps at least as well as caulk would, and it's clearly temporary and will come off when you have the time/weather to do the job right.

Raya
(who has had to deal with way too many leaking "caulk globovers" on boats - can you tell? )
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #9

So far Mary Lynn, you've got several people that are trying to give you good advice about not putting caulk around the window. That's not going to cure your problem (for long). What you think is the simple solution isn't the best solution. The old saying, just because you can doesn't mean you should... applies here. But, it's your trailer you need to decide what's best for you.

Personally, I'd replace the butyl... baring that I'd put rain gutters over the window:
EZ Gutter - Stops Leaks and Streaks

On Edit: here's a link to the RV gutter in white: White RV Gutter, you can also get it at Camping World and the like.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #10

Quote:
So far Mary Lynn, you've got several people that are trying to give you good advice about not putting caulk around the window. That's not going to cure your problem (for long). What you think is the simple solution isn't the best solution. The old saying, just because you can doesn't mean you should... applies here. But, it's your trailer you need to decide what's best for you.

Personally, I'd replace the butyl... baring that I'd put rain gutters over the window:
EZ Gutter - Stops Leaks and Streaks

On Edit: here's a link to the RV gutter in white: White RV Gutter, you can also get it at Camping World and the like.
Donna D. and Raya: Thank you for your very sound advice. I'll cogitate all you have said.-Mary Lynn

Tags
windows