What size Propane Tank? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2006, 03:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 1969 Eriba Puck - Fiberglass roof
Hi,

Just wondering what size Propane cylinder all those who tow a 13' place on their trailer. I need to buy a new one and was considering options. What's too little? What's too much? How often do you use your propane and for what? All information is appreciated.
Keith R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
It depends on how many propane appliances you have, and how much you use them. It depends on whether you prefer to cook outside, or inside. If you have a water heater, or furnace, or not. It is a matter of preference, as to whether you want the added weight of a larger propane tank.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have a 20, and am considering adding a portable 5 for when the big one runs out. I run the fridge on propane, 24/7 and have a heater. The stove use is minimal, but it still gets used every day.

I would go for the 20 and a good meter, but.. if you are trying to cut weight down, thats up to you.

The 20 will run all my stuff for over 2 weeks, with fridge at full bore, in the summer. In winter with the heater on when I am in the trailer, about a week.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #4

Registry
Here is an inline meter I bought at costco a couple weeks ago. I wish I could remember the brand! They had them in oddles by the barbeques and propane tanks. I paid either 4 or 7 bones for it. (Memory in the heat is poor, but it was not very much at all)

It works on pressure, obviously. We will see what it does when I get close to empty. Accuracy is kind of important!

It simply fits inline with your tank and regulator. The Nut thingy makes disconnecting the tank a snap. Just unscrew! You don't have to remove the regulator end.
Attached Thumbnails
propanemeter.jpg  
Old 06-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
what size Propane cylinder all those who tow a 13' place on their trailer.
My observation has been that a "20 pound" unit is pretty standard equipment, with 13' trailers having a single. My [b]16' Fiber Stream, with a 4 cu. ft. frig, 3 burner stove w/ oven & furnace, and hot water heater carries two "20 pound" tanks. My experience with my set-up shows that that will more than last me for any 2-week vacation.

On-the-other-hand, a "Lite House" trailer recently being sold only has a 2-burner stove on board; and has only one "5 pound" tank.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
As Penny, Gina, and Frederick said, it depends on needs of the trailer. I have no furnace, no hot water heater, and no propane option for the frig. I cook outside most of the time. So a five pound propane tank works great on my Compact Jr. I've gone more than a year and haven't needed to refill it. Tom Trostel

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...0373&p=73194432
Old 06-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 72 Boler American
The only thing I use propane for is the portable grill, so I have a hard time justifying dragging the 20lb. with me just for that. I have opted for the small 1 lb cylinders, but am considering a five pounder so I don't have to keep disposing the 1 lb canisters all the time. The problem with the 5 pounder is that I have to shell out $40 for tank, $20 for an adapter hose, and so much to fill the tank - that can buy a lot of 1 pounders. I have heard that some people actually refill the 1 pounders, so that could be another option.
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
On my 13' Boler, without a furnace or water heater, a 20 lb tank is good for a couple years fridge, stove, and sometimes, with an adaptor hose, a portable BBQ......normally we don`t boondock, so use the 110 v a lot........with a furnace and/or water heater I would go with 2- 20`s like on my 17' .......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the responses. Didn't think about indicating what I would need the propane for.

I am trying to maintain a low weight because of a older tow vehicle. The only thing I currently will be running off the propane is the Stove which I am hoping to be able to make an indoor/outdoor stove (I am putting a new one in that will allow me to take it out and cook outside in the summer.) I am also considering placing a heater in the trailer but will see. My trailer is propably not intended for winter camping, but with the right modifications, primarily a fiberglass floor that is insulated with a cork floor that hopefully will seal out water (or god forbid seal it in if I have problems.) Eitheir way it will help improve the insulation.

I have surprisingly found the 20lb tanks to be the least expensive!? So I am not sure of going lighter because as Dave indicated the expense is at least two times the cost of the 20lb. Tom, A year on a tank sounds good to me though.

Gina thanks for the tip on the meter. If it works well I think that will definitely be worth the expense.

Again thanks to all for the information.

Keith
Old 06-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #10

Registry
Oh Oh!!!

I didn't notice you have a Puck!

Oh, those are HORRIBLE dirty bad nasty things.

You had better let me come take it off your hands...

No No.. you don't have to thank me.. just pass over the keys, there's a good boy...

I would think a heater would be needed in that, yes. You could get away with a smaller one, but I have heard blasphemous rumour that it gets cold in Colorado sometimes :-P

Really, that trailer would be better in a warmer climate.. like..the one at MY house..

(I don't think I am convincing you, am I? )
Old 06-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Oh Oh!!!

I didn't notice you have a Puck!

Oh, those are HORRIBLE dirty bad nasty things.

You had better let me come take it off your hands...

No No.. you don't have to thank me.. just pass over the keys, there's a good boy...

I would think a heater would be needed in that, yes. You could get away with a smaller one, but I have heard blasphemous rumour that it gets cold in Colorado sometimes :-P

Really, that trailer would be better in a warmer climate.. like..the one at MY house..

(I don't think I am convincing you, am I? )

Just what is it about those European FGRV's that makes them look so attractive? Is this just something in my imagination, or is there some reality to it?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:16 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The inline "meters" are really only good for letting you know that the line drained down since you closed the tank valve -- The pressure in the line comes from the regulator, which gets the propane gas by evaporation of the tank liquid -- Doesn't matter whether the tank is full or almost empty, the appliance side of the regulator should always have the same pressure. Of course, when the tank runs out, the meter will confirm that that's the reason your stove won't burn, so you don't have to loosen the bolts and shake the tank...

The only reliable gauge I know of is the float kind, with a float on top of the liquid registering on a gauge -- I believe that's what the monster home LP tanks use.

To reduce weight on my Scamp 13, I replaced my 20lb tank with a 10lb tank and it lasts a long time (I carry a Steak Saver and a few spare cannisters for when it runs out). I found Home Depot to have the best prices, but that may have changed. BTW, the 10lb tanks come in tall (as tall as the 20, but skinny) and short (as wide as the 20, but shorter). The shorter one is a bit more stable.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #13

Sorry about the delay in response. Gina, Sorry the puck (haven't found a proper name for it yet - doing a complete renovation and what it has been called wouldn't be fitting once its personality fully comes out ) called me from your neck of the woods and begged me to take it home. It was owned by a man of questionable integrity (lots of misleading information - well lies). Anyway couldn't just leave it with him, even though the adoption fee was a little high it wasn't as high as some others I have seen, overall it wasn't high enough to stop me from buying something that will be appreciated and enjoyed for alot of years. To be frank it looked good from pictures and a brief viewing but there was ugliness underneath that requires a frame up renovation. So while I know your heart is where the puck is, I don't think you would have been interested in the long run. BUT, I will drop the keys in the mail to you once it is done - I'm probably going to be changing the lock and door handle anyway .

As far as Colorado getting cold, hmm can't remember back to the beginning of June. Since then it's been to darn hot to think. I'm hoping I can get this thing insulated enough to keep the warmth in and see if I can't figure out were to find and how to place a 12v dehumidifer to reduce condensation. Since I last wrote, I'm also looking at heaters that blow to help keep the air moving but am finding they are very large or expenive if small (Propex furnace).

Loren, as far as is there something about these european trailers. In my opinion yes there is. I have looked at a few different types of trailers and I didn't feel as comfortable in them as I did in the puck even with its problems. As I believe Gina said a while ago - I don't know what it is there is just something homey about it. That being said, I had friends of ours who sat in it - looked at one another and said we'd kill each other if we spent any time in it. Keep in mind these people camp in a small tent together so I don't get it. Think they must have different expectations for a trailer. Tows exceptionally well, I brought it home during the snow blizzard that hit Colorado in March -towed through a couple feet of snow . Nice first towing experience. My heater in the truck also went out. That was how blue I was by the time I got to denver because my windows were rolled down to defrost the windshield (great lesson in condensation). The pucks performance was memorable and what they say about it being one of the lightest (for the older pucks) 760 lbs and best tracking trailers I would agree with one hundred percent. Looks wise, well there is just something about a nice wood interior and the shape is aerodynamic (not that mine has it right now). I only lost 1 mpg off my regular mpg and this is while my truck was leaking coolant in my truck cab. The new pucks are heavier but in chatting with the European owners they are in love with these things as much as everyone here is about the fiberglass trailers.

Pete thanks for the info. on the meter and were to find propane tanks in smaller sizes. I think I am going with a 10 lb skinny because I don't have a frame that I can sit a tank on. I am still trying to figure out how to mount the tank. Since the front of the frame is similar to a uhaul I am going to see what others did there.

Thanks again everyone for your help. Sorry this is so long winded.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Keith,
An idea for a name for the Puck........"Wolfgang"
Tom Trostel
Old 06-08-2006, 10:23 PM   #15

Registry
Wolfy for short!
Old 06-10-2006, 07:31 AM   #16

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
I usually carry two 20lb tanks
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:39 AM   #17

Hey Tom and Gina you two are right on. Another Puck owner located in Tenessee named his Puck wolf. Could I have the long lost twin? The younger one if named wolfy and the more distinguished older one if named Wolfgang Not by the looks of it, well at least not identical twins. His is a natural aluminum siding, he took all the paint off, and the roof is red.

Thanks Paddy for the information - 2 - 20lbs you can probably go for a long time without refills.

Hey Gina, found a product that may help you if ever in the future you need to reweld a portion of your trailer frame. http://www.alumaloy.net/ I don't know how strong it is or anything and further research is needed but I know welding aluminum is tough and expensive. Hopefully you won't ever need any more welding but I though this was interesting information.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:55 PM   #18

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
I bring along 2 20lb tanks as well. One would do most of the time but back up is nice while traveling cross country and in the winter time. Also if you run out and cant get it filled, you can exchage it for a full one if you have to.

The no point in creating more trash with the little throw away tanks and you cant exchange the other tanks on the market. With 2 20s you can run one down and use the other until you find a refill center. Today I filled one 20 for 9.95 total at a little Trailer Dealership in Fairlawn, Va. I wish my S10 ran on LP. The price didnt go up on LP.
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:49 AM   #19

Andy,

Appreciate the additional info. The only concern I have about the 20lbs is the added weight. I agree the disposables are not an environmentally friendly option. The 20lb exchange route is a big plus, but my proble is (ok one of my problems is) I don't have a big tow bar on this trailer so space is limited for the propane tanks - in fact I am still trying to figure out how I will make a mount to carry the tank at all since the original hanging bracket is long gone.

Keith
Old 06-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #20

Registry
Have you thought about a horizontal tank?

Not sure of which applications they can be used in, but it's something to look into.

If ya can't use one.. nothing lost.