What size refrigerator do you use? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #29
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Cmtravels View Post

Lots to think about. We would love to get a 2 or 3 way fridge, but the new ones are a tad out of budget right now. I've been looking on craiglist, but not even sure a used one is a good idea? Any thoughts on that? Propane scares me a little, even when I light my backpacking stove. Ha. But I guess there could be problems with new ones too.

We mostly tent camp at state parks and we try to get the private back tent spaces which rarely have hook ups. I've never really paid too much attention to the rv sites to see what they have.

Based on what you have indicated as your preferred camping style - which is similar to mine getting a fridge that works well no matter where I camped would be the thing I would spend my limited funds on before any other updates (aside from making sure the running gear and wiring all work and no leaks). I.E. I would spend the money on the fridge before I spent it on such items as a new awning or Fantastic Fan or inside stove top, furnace etc. Having to restrict myself as to where I can stay due restrictions placed on me by the fridge power supply would not make me a happy camper. Many of the nicest camping spots I have stayed in have had no power and limited sunlight for solar capture. Not to mention more than once I have pulled into a state or county park without reservations and all the RV designated sites are full but the ranger has allowed me due to the size of the trailer to use a tent site - with no hook ups. Works for me as they are often nicer spots anyways

Like you propane isn't/wasn't something I was overly comfortable with using at first but having used it now for many years I would not be without it. Also a backpacker and lighting my backpack stove with all honesty scares me far more than lighting the propane stove in the trailer does now.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #30
Name: CIndy
Trailer: 82' Scamp 13
North Carolina
Just wanted to let y'all know what we ended up with. After looong debates the Engel SR. 70, a 2-way refrigerator, won.

The company has been very good to work with. The first one was delivered a week before the inaugural trip, and we got to watch the Fed-X guy drop it out of the truck. 😁 So back it went for the second one. Got that one days before we left, easy install and it ran like a charm.

Being first time camper-campers I can say I love having a fridge!! We had five people camping with us the last couple of days and had plenty of room for everything. It was expensive but we figure the money we saved on bags of ice and and being able to transfer all the unused food that we would normally throw away because it was soggy went back to the home fridge, will eventually add up.

We plan to add solar soon and have it running off that when we boondock.

I also solved the white wine problem, poured the wine into a platypus container. Fits very nice. 😊

Sent from my phone using Fiberglass RV

Cmtravels is offline   Reply With Quote