What size refrigerator do you use? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
WOW, that looks nice, here's a link: DE-0751 Marine
It looks great but just make sure you have the solar and battery capacity to run it; 3.0 amps at 12 VDC. I have a DC refer and it runs between 50% and 75% duty cycle depending on how hot it is.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I got the biggest refrigerator possible in my custom ETI build. Oh look, it's standard! I've got a really big 3-way frig in my Scamp (from the factory), but the one in Ten Forward is twice the size. I'm happy... a full width freezer (behind it's own door) and a vegetable crisper!

Fresh food is important to me. Maybe you like freeze-dried, canned or shop every couple of days... Neither is me. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:06 AM   #23

Name: CIndy
Trailer: 82' Scamp 13
North Carolina
Donna, I love fresh veggies to, just don't like to cook! ;-) Wonder if there's room in the 13' for a personal chef?

Sent from my phone using Fiberglass RV
Cmtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:42 AM   #24

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Dorm-size 120v for our family of 3. $20 new at a scratch and dent place. Couldn't beat the price and ease of installation. We keep beverages in a cooler. So far, we've always camped with electric hookups, but dream of going all solar and getting much further into the woods. I'm looking at start-up solar packages and LED lights right now. Will keep the propane tank primarily for the furnace as we also hope to camp early and late in the year. Haven't done any research into a refer for when we have a decent solar set-up, but the $20 frig can easily move into the garage or shop when we're ready.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmtravels View Post
We are new '82 Scamp 13 owners and we are planning on adding a new refrigerator during the reno. We've never owned a camper before, only tent camped with a average size cooler. We are trying to decide if we would be good with the 1.7 cu. ft. mini-fridge or if we should bump up to the next size, 2.6 cu. ft. If we use the smaller size we think we can add a drawer over it, so that's a big bonus.

So my question is what size does everyone use/need/recommend?. What all do you put in there? (I know room for a bottle of wine is a must! :-)

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I got the biggest refrigerator possible in my custom ETI build. Oh look, it's standard! I've got a really big 3-way frig in my Scamp (from the factory), but the one in Ten Forward is twice the size. I'm happy... a full width freezer (behind it's own door) and a vegetable crisper!

Fresh food is important to me. Maybe you like freeze-dried, canned or shop every couple of days... Neither is me. YMMV
Donna, I believe that the OP was asking about fridges that would work in his 13' Scamp. My fridge is similar size to yours, and although it is nice, I would doubt that there is much opportunity to fit it into such a small space. The small marine AC/DC fridge from a few posts back does look really nice, combined with appropriate solar system of course.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #26

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
" I believe that the OP was asking about fridges that would work in his 13' Scamp. My fridge is similar size to yours, and although it is nice, I would doubt that there is much opportunity to fit it into such a small space"

Don't be so sure about that.... You do know that smaller FGRV's are a lot bigger on the inside than on the outside.... It's one of our best kept secrets. LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
" I believe that the OP was asking about fridges that would work in his 13' Scamp. My fridge is similar size to yours, and although it is nice, I would doubt that there is much opportunity to fit it into such a small space"

Don't be so sure about that.... You do know that smaller FGRV's are a lot bigger on the inside than on the outside.... It's one of our best kept secrets. LOL
Bob, I suspect that your reply is a bit "tongue in cheek". Maybe a 13' is like the magic tent in Harry Potter series, small on outside and large on inside.

Although I have never been in a Scamp 13', the pictures that I have seen show the fridge to be in a lower cabinet below the stove top. For a replacement fridge to fit in this same location, it would have to be significantly smaller than the Dometic 6.7 cu-ft fridges installed in the larger Escape trailers. If the plan is to rework the interior of a 13' around the fridge, it could be feasible, however, the OP may find himself in bed with the fridge and that could get a little chillie.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #28

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Muggles just don't know our secrets..... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmtravels View Post

Lots to think about. We would love to get a 2 or 3 way fridge, but the new ones are a tad out of budget right now. I've been looking on craiglist, but not even sure a used one is a good idea? Any thoughts on that? Propane scares me a little, even when I light my backpacking stove. Ha. But I guess there could be problems with new ones too.

We mostly tent camp at state parks and we try to get the private back tent spaces which rarely have hook ups. I've never really paid too much attention to the rv sites to see what they have.

Based on what you have indicated as your preferred camping style - which is similar to mine getting a fridge that works well no matter where I camped would be the thing I would spend my limited funds on before any other updates (aside from making sure the running gear and wiring all work and no leaks). I.E. I would spend the money on the fridge before I spent it on such items as a new awning or Fantastic Fan or inside stove top, furnace etc. Having to restrict myself as to where I can stay due restrictions placed on me by the fridge power supply would not make me a happy camper. Many of the nicest camping spots I have stayed in have had no power and limited sunlight for solar capture. Not to mention more than once I have pulled into a state or county park without reservations and all the RV designated sites are full but the ranger has allowed me due to the size of the trailer to use a tent site - with no hook ups. Works for me as they are often nicer spots anyways

Like you propane isn't/wasn't something I was overly comfortable with using at first but having used it now for many years I would not be without it. Also a backpacker and lighting my backpack stove with all honesty scares me far more than lighting the propane stove in the trailer does now.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #30

Name: CIndy
Trailer: 82' Scamp 13
North Carolina
Just wanted to let y'all know what we ended up with. After looong debates the Engel SR. 70, a 2-way refrigerator, won.

The company has been very good to work with. The first one was delivered a week before the inaugural trip, and we got to watch the Fed-X guy drop it out of the truck. 😁 So back it went for the second one. Got that one days before we left, easy install and it ran like a charm.

Being first time camper-campers I can say I love having a fridge!! We had five people camping with us the last couple of days and had plenty of room for everything. It was expensive but we figure the money we saved on bags of ice and and being able to transfer all the unused food that we would normally throw away because it was soggy went back to the home fridge, will eventually add up.

We plan to add solar soon and have it running off that when we boondock.

I also solved the white wine problem, poured the wine into a platypus container. Fits very nice. 😊

http://www.engelcoolers.com/fridge-f...n-refrigerator

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/platyp...bottle/product

Sent from my phone using Fiberglass RV
Cmtravels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator