Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Great pictures! Looks like everyone is having a good time

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #17

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Whatever the standard size of tires of the vehicle rolling out of assembly line from automobile/heavy truck manufacturers, that is the best. As my understanding, this size is optimum case for car/truck performance and being thru all kinds of test/adjustments before coming into production. Here is one of my own experience... For years, I owned a little Honda Civic with standard 13inch wheel. My everyday work involved driving back and forth, round trip as closely 200kilometer per day, all season, year around. One day, i decided to change the tire size to 15inches with bigger, sporty alloy rims. Surely it looked very sporty and tough...That didn't last long. One day of snow storm which I experienced for years, I ended up with.....the car slid off the HW, wrapped around a hydro pole. It was lucky I survived without hurt but the car was crap. Just share my story...
Old 04-14-2013, 01:09 AM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
Whatever the standard size of tires of the vehicle rolling out of assembly line from automobile/heavy truck manufacturers, that is the best. As my understanding, this size is optimum case for car/truck performance and being thru all kinds of test/adjustments before coming into production...
If it were that simple, every vehicle would be available with one and only one size of tire; in fact, almost every model comes with various choices as part of packages or just as separate options. The "right" tire is the best compromise for a particular person's requirements, considering factors such as traction, handling response, rolling resistance, wear, dry versus wet traction, high temperature resistance, cold weather performance, damage resistance...

In the case of trailers, the compromise is usually heavily biased toward cost, so the trailer often comes with the smallest common trailer tire which has adequate load capacity.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #19

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If it were that simple, every vehicle would be available with one and only one size of tire; in fact, almost every model comes with various choices as part of packages or just as separate options. The "right" tire is the best compromise for a particular person's requirements, considering factors such as traction, handling response, rolling resistance, wear, dry versus wet traction, high temperature resistance, cold weather performance, damage resistance...

In the case of trailers, the compromise is usually heavily biased toward cost, so the trailer often comes with the smallest common trailer tire which has adequate load capacity.
Agreed. I think tread design plays more of a part than surface area, although it's also an important factor. I had a pickup that was good on ice, put much bigger tires on it to play on rocks, and it was scary on ice. I had those tires siped, and it was better than factory...

My other pickup I went from 245/75/17 duelers that were like driving on greased cookie sheets (35k miles on them, and NO wear, I made the tire shop drill the sidewalls as I watched, as I felt they weren't safe to run on a vehicle, I had it go sideways 3x on the road in rain), to wider 265/70/17 dura-grapplers, and had 10x the traction on ice.

My trailer tire preference is to put the largest and heaviest rated one that will fit on. I'm not saying it's right for all trailers, as it may make the ride noticeably worse, but it's the right choice for me.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #20

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
Here is one of my own experience... For years, I owned a little Honda Civic with standard 13inch wheel. My everyday work involved driving back and forth, round trip as closely 200kilometer per day, all season, year around. One day, i decided to change the tire size to 15inches with bigger, sporty alloy rims. Surely it looked very sporty and tough...That didn't last long. One day of snow storm which I experienced for years, I ended up with.....the car slid off the HW, wrapped around a hydro pole.
In this case, Randy, you chose a tire which may have been right for best dry pavement performance, and found that you actually valued all-weather traction, so you had the wrong tire for you. For me, 195/50R15 was right for our race-prepared Honda CRX, 185/60R14 was right for our street CRX and stock Civic sedan... and all three came stock with 13" wheels and tires and we used 13" tires in the winter (a CRX is a Civic coupe).

Same for trailers - match your priorities.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: 1991 17 ft Bigfoot
anystate
Registry
Back when I had 14 inch rims and wanted load range D tires, I seem to remember the Kumho being the only brand I could find in a 14 inch load range D radial trailer tire. Those I could find only on line at Tire Rack, and they were out of stock. I switched to 15 inch rims so I could have a load range D radial for which replacements could be easily found while traveling. I started with 205/75R15, which became hard to find. Then I switched to 225/75R15 ( Goodyear Marathon), which fit in the wheel well of my axle-flipped Bigfoot 17. That heavy beast pulled so much better after the switch. The trailer sways less and the passing big trucks do not push me around nearly so much anymore. In my travels I have seen a few Casitas with the 225/75R15 load range D Marathons, so they will fit, perhaps with some lift..
Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #22

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
.......First real trip. FL to NC
So great to see these kids making memories of camping.

That's what camping is all about.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I now have 225/75 R15s on my 86 Casita LD and they went on with no issue. JMHO.
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #24

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D. View Post
Back when I had 14 inch rims and wanted load range D tires, I seem to remember the Kumho being the only brand I could find in a 14 inch load range D radial trailer tire.
The Kumho Radial 857 is a commercial tire (not ST, but suitable for trailers), and there are other 14" choices of this type (in various load ranges). Finding the right size in a model of tire for which you will later be likely to find a replacement is a challenge.

Examples include the Continental Vanco line, Michelin Agilis, Maxxis UE-168(N), and Hankook RA08... and of course the Kumho Radial 857. There are 15" options in these lines, as well. These have been discussed quite a bit in this forum before: I suggest using the Google search function within this forum to find references to those tire model names to find the discussions.