What to do with too many window screws? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #1

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe/'78 Trillium 1300
Arkansas
Registry
What to do with too many window screws?

I'm having to replace all the rotting window wood in my 78 Trillium. I did the kitchen window successfully, but window #2 has almost double the number of screws than the identical window on the other side. (See pic) Not only that, it looks like the screws are a lot bigger than the originals, like maybe #10s or even #12s if there is such a thing.

1. If I'm putting in new wood, do I have to use all of the existing screw holes in the metal frame, or can I count on the butyl tape to plug the added ones?
2. Do I have to use huge screws, or can I use my #8s as planned and again count on the butyl tape?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Ruth
Attached Thumbnails
'78 Trillium 1300 Before 018.jpg  

Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Two 13 ft Bolers and one 17 ft Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth C. View Post

1. If I'm putting in new wood, do I have to use all of the existing screw holes in the metal frame, or can I count on the butyl tape to plug the added ones?
2. Do I have to use huge screws, or can I use my #8s as planned and again count on the butyl tape?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Ruth

Judging from my experience with my Boler window I would say that the Butyl Tape will plug the excess holes nicely and no need for larger screws. I originally did replace mine with larger screws but only because I wasn't installing fresh backing strips of wood at the same time. I needed a larger screw to be able to get some grip in the existing hole. As long as the screw head isn't smaller than the hole in the aluminum.

If you can, conceal the screws with some plastic strip like I show in the video so it all looks neat and tidy.

I just re-did one of my windows while the other has been partially installed with only about 6 screws for the past 2 years! NO LEAKS. (gotta finish that this week)

Removing a Boler Side Window and Installing Butyl Tape - YouTube

Old 08-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
If you're not going to fill the holes by using the same amount of screws, I'd fill them with Magnum Epoxy Marine & Plastic Fiberglass Repair Stick, then install the window using butyl.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #4

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Ruth C... Screws are reasonably inexpensive, window leaks aren't!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 08-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #5

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe/'78 Trillium 1300
Arkansas
Registry
Ready to do it!

Kevin - GREAT video. I picked up on 3 or 4 tips that I wish I'd thought of during window #1, like putting the butyl tape in the fridge. I used black tape and had black all over me and everything else because I was using it in 100+ degree weather. I also noticed you didn't drill pilot holes. Can you tell me if it's because you're really comfortable with a drill, you use screws with bit ends, or you think it's unnecessary? I work so slowly that would seriously save me about an hour.

Donna- I think I'd feel a whole lot better plugging the unused holes.That marine epoxy is going to do the trick for sure. Thanks for another great tip!

Alf - Donna's fix will secure those extra holes and make it water tight. If not, then I'll bite the bullet and put in the extra 20 or so needed.

By the way, there was an unfamiliar, unpleasant, sweetish smell when I got the trailer. Removing the cushions and scrubbing didn't help at all, but getting out the rotted wood from the little kitchen window alone reduced it by about half. I am excited to get the rest done to see if that solves the problem once and for all. Ick.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #6

Trailer: Two 13 ft Bolers and one 17 ft Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth C. View Post
Can you tell me if it's because you're really comfortable with a drill, you use screws with bit ends, or you think it's unnecessary?
Comfortable with the drill and I it is not necessary going into plywood. if I was screwing into hardwood strips then I would drill the pilot hole first. The drill is also an Impact Driver and it doesn't tend to slip out of the screw head like a regular drill.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #7

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Ruth
I used self tapping lag screws in my Compact Jr. These will drill a hole and screw into the wood at the same time. My wife drilled the screws in while I held the wood inside the trailer.
It took use about 10 mins to install 2 windows. Remember the body may flex and you may need all the screws to hold in window firmly in place. I don't think they would of use that many screws if it was not needed.