What to look for before purchase - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #1

Name: Clamdigger
Trailer: 16 Casita SD 2003
Delaware
What to look for before purchase

Hi folks,

I am driving quite a distance to look at a 09 Scamp with front bath. Are there any inherent problems I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Clamdigger
Clamdiggershucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If I was selling my Scamp, I'd have the water/water heater active, water tank to demonstrate the water/drain pumps, A/C running, refridge cooling, awning out, commode/sinks/shower in operating order, run through ALL lights (including exterior), my Scamp is on jacks so I would spin the wheels...look at tires...feel the bearings, open all the closet doors and shine a light in there for the potential buyer to see (no former leaks). I'd even spray it down with a water hose on the outside and have them watch for leaks inside if they desire..., fire up the gas furnace if I had one ...., drain the tanks I had just added put water into (fresh and gray/black) I think you get the message. Then sell it AS-IS!

If I was buying used, above is also what I would want to see- unless the owner told me up front that something wasnt working and that I was buying it "as-is". That's my opinion.

It would be nice to ask about "Owner's manuals". Alot of people dont think about it, but they can be VERY important if your not familiar with RV appliances. But also, if you need parts for them.

For what it's worth, the '09 Scamp SHOULD have a fiberglass "rock shield" that covers the front bath room window when traveling. It may not be a deal breaker, but I'd ask about it for traveling.

Good luck!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the Document Center, where you will find a buyers checklist you can download. It is very comprehensive.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...?do=file&id=72

As a new user, anytime you have a question such as this, or anything on hardware, appliances, etc., you would do well to go to the top of the page, pick the 'More' tab and then click on Document Center. There is all kinds of information here that you will find useful.

I don't mean to discourage your asking questions. We, as a community, are always willing to help, but many times you will find your answers more quickly in the Doc Center and if your question is not fully answered, you will be able to be specific in your questions, which will allow us to be more helpful.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
If I was selling my Scamp, I'd have the water/water heater active, water tank to demonstrate the water/drain pumps, A/C running, refridge cooling, awning out, commode/sinks/shower in operating order, run through ALL lights (including exterior), my Scamp is on jacks so I would spin the wheels...look at tires...feel the bearings, open all the closet doors and shine a light in there for the potential buyer to see (no former leaks). I'd even spray it down with a water hose on the outside and have them watch for leaks inside if they desire..., fire up the gas furnace if I had one ...., drain the tanks I had just added put water into (fresh and gray/black) I think you get the message. Then sell it AS-IS!

If I was buying used, above is also what I would want to see- unless the owner told me up front that something wasnt working and that I was buying it "as-is". That's my opinion.

It would be nice to ask about "Owner's manuals". Alot of people dont think about it, but they can be VERY important if your not familiar with RV appliances. But also, if you need parts for them.

For what it's worth, the '09 Scamp SHOULD have a fiberglass "rock shield" that covers the front bath room window when traveling. It may not be a deal breaker, but I'd ask about it for traveling.

Good luck!
All good points, except that the front bath window is small, up high, and in the center, and therefore not susceptible to rocks thrown up by your car tires.
Ours has gone 16 years and to all 4 corners of the country with no damage.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I always wondered that myself as I never had any real problems with rocks. I think they did on the large windows put there when there's no bath. That's why I said it sure wouldnt be a "deal breaker".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
All good points, except that the front bath window is small, up high, and in the center, and therefore not susceptible to rocks thrown up by your car tires.
Ours has gone 16 years and to all 4 corners of the country with no damage.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote