What to Use as A Replacement? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
What to Use as A Replacement?

Our door handle(L-400) has finally given out it's done, kaput, finished !!!
my question is what are others using as a replacement?
I know they sometimes come up on Ebay
but I'm looking for a total replacement of something else other than the L-400

TIA
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler
A few years ago I managed to score a brand new L-400 lock off Ebay for my 1978 Boler. I have the remains of the original lock sitting in a box which might provide some useful parts for you. The only thing is that the lock wasn't an L-400 - it was a Lyster 20-211? made in Canada. It was actually a little smaller than the L-400. If you think you can use it its yours for the price of postage.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0558.jpg  
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Over the years we've heard time and time again from those looking to replace the L-400. IF I was looking to paint the exterior of my trailer and it had the L-400... (and I don't) the door lockset would be something I'd replace BEFORE painting.

Good luck on your hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
A few years ago I managed to score a brand new L-400 lock off Ebay for my 1978 Boler. I have the remains of the original lock sitting in a box which might provide some useful parts for you. The only thing is that the lock wasn't an L-400 - it was a Lyster 20-211? made in Canada. It was actually a little smaller than the L-400. If you think you can use it its yours for the price of postage.
thank you I would take it but we are in the middle of a postal strike --I think ours is actually a Lyster ,if the strike ends soon I will take it!!
can I ask what the problem was with your old assembly? Ours is in pieces the metal inside broke is several places
Old 06-21-2011, 05:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Over the years we've heard time and time again from those looking to replace the L-400. IF I was looking to paint the exterior of my trailer and it had the L-400... (and I don't) the door lockset would be something I'd replace BEFORE painting.

Good luck on your hunt!
over the years I have posted looking for a replacement knowing this day would come !!
now I'm wondering what people are usng as a replacement if they CAN NOT find a L-400 or equivalent -I need ideas!!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #6

The inside handle broke on my Lyster and I'd found an L-400 for around $90 so I ordered it thinking it would directly bolt in. As it turns out I had to trim the opening in the door a little with a dremel tool to get the Bargman to fit. I don't have a key to fit the Lyster but you can probaly swap your lock cylinder out - the main body of the lock is intact - it just looks a bit pitted and grubby on the outside. PM me with your address and I'll send it to you.

Before I found the L-400 I was looking at fitting another Bargman lock (think it was the L-300?) that would have required cutting a bigger hole in the outer skin of the door.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Arizona
Jack,
this is way out of the blue and your post, to which I am responding, was in 2011...So, I am wondering if you just might happen to have the remaining guts to that Lyster 211?
I need to dead bolt part-the rest of my mechanism is in great condition (lucky me); the very end of the dead bolt is so worn that it will not reliably hold the door closed.
Here's hoping....
Thanks,

Bill (512) 963-0693
Tucson Az 1977 Boler 13'
koehler.william@outlook.com
Bill rv tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill rv tech View Post
Jack,
this is way out of the blue and your post, to which I am responding, was in 2011...So, I am wondering if you just might happen to have the remaining guts to that Lyster 211?
I need to dead bolt part-the rest of my mechanism is in great condition (lucky me); the very end of the dead bolt is so worn that it will not reliably hold the door closed.
Here's hoping....
Thanks,

Bill (512) 963-0693
Tucson Az 1977 Boler 13'
koehler.william@outlook.com
If you don't get a reply in a day or so, I'd suggest sending Jack a PM or email. Click on the screen name on the left and a dropdown menu will appear, with options for PM and email.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Have you seen this thread?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-83011.html
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
This is exactly the reason I designed the Boler Lock Replacement Kit. There is no easy replacement for the discontinued Bargman L400 door lock. Our kit is easy to install and results in a high quality reliable and secure repair. Available in either a chrome or white finished lock, the plates can be left natural or painted to match your trailer Camping Treasures Hardware

EDIT: just noticed the date of the original post, but it has been posts like these over the years that encouraged me to develop this product
Attached Thumbnails
Chrome Lock.jpg   White Lock.jpg  

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #11

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Arizona
Steve, yes I did see this one and thanks!! I was going to try one more time to find an actual exact replacement part before going the route that Ian has--it is a great option though!!
Thanks,Bill
Bill rv tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #12

Name: Jorge
Alberta
lock repairs vs replacement

haha, it seems this is one of the most common threads in here, the Bargman/Lyster locks, My Boler has a Lyster and it's just missing the lever, I'd prefer to repair it if possible, for that I'll need a real locksmith that has a shop to do parts, I'll see if I found one, I'll prefer that, to the alternative of going to the Camping Treasure version.

If someone will have the idea of reproducing the Bargman, they will have a decent market for it, ;-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	103308.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	129972

Click image for larger version

Name:	103334.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	129973
Darlan is offline   Reply With Quote