What to use for lights inside cupboard? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #1

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
What to use for lights inside cupboard?

Hello everyone - we have a 13' Scamp with the bathroom, so we have the nice large cupboard/closet beside the bathroom. The trouble is that is it dark in there. We bought some stick on LED's, but they have fallen off. Does anyone have suggestions? We love the idea of a stick on, but it needs to stay on - or we'd be open to some other solution. We love reading about all the modifications on here and look forward to seeing some someday.
Thanks!
Kim and Howard
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Since you like the lights you have, get some white foam double faced tape and re install them. the new tape will hold them firmly.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Floyd what brand of tape do you use? Have not had much success with a few different brands of double sided tapes although some have stayed up longer than others.
I have found that items I stick to the walls stay up if I use a heavy duty Marine velcro to stick them up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
3Ms VHB
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
3Ms VHB
Have always worried about getting that stuff off the fiberglass without damaging it! Especially when installing a small light that will not last forever.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
3m as shown above. lED with sensors is the only way to go. The batteries last for a very long time and the LEDs are bright.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #7

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
Smile

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to look for the 3M tape and check out the marine velcro.
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Here's a nifty closet light....

and it is often free!

Harbor Freight often has a coupon for these little lights for free, sometimes with an additional purchase and sometimes no strings attached.

If you have no coupon they are only a few bucks anyway.

They'll hang from a closet clothes pole. might not stay put while traveling though.

push the button once and the little bottom light comes on. push it twice and the bank of lights comes on and they are very bright!
Attached Thumbnails
led.light.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #9

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Darwin, what are "lED with sensors"? We tried the little round stick on LED lights and found them too dim to be of much use.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
They are motion activated LED. They are small and turn on automatic when you open the closet. I can not remember where I purchased mi e. Mine takes 3 AAA batteries and last for a really long time. The ones that I have in the closet of the camper have been there for a couple of years on the original batteries and still work. Look at the following Amazon site for a selection of lights.
Robot Check
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm afraid you're going to find ANY double-sided tape will not hold up in the Scamp if it sits out in the hot sun. It gets VERY warm (even with the vents open) inside (especially top cabinets) and it will slowly "ooze" it's way off....with the exception of maybe a LARGE piece. And yes, I've used the "Exterior Extra-heavy duty" gray version.

Another possibility is placing the lights where there's an external hinge, light fixture etc and put a light screw or screws a couple of places. They wont turn loose with heat and the screws are still concealed. Been there dont that in my "Kitchen" cabinet in my Scamp.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
John, I've noticed lately or since the first of the year, that HF no longer issues the coupons with "No purchase necessary". Everyone must've caught on and was taking advantage of it. I have several of those lights you show. I hacked one of them and made a Scamp black tank light out of one of them. Works PERFECT!

[QUOTE=john madill;529156]and it is often free!

Harbor Freight often has a coupon for these little lights for free, sometimes with an additional purchase and sometimes no strings attached.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #13

Name: Carol
Trailer: Scamp / 1949 Hudson
Florida
Our 13' Scamp has 12v lights in both closets.
CandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Me I like the solution of finding a convenient place to stash a small LED flashlight. Handy for all sorts of uses including finding stuff in the dark closet. But then I like not having to install and maintain more fixtures and such. To a possibly weird degree I might add.

I use flashlight, I will want flashlight handy, guess I can use it for this too.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #15

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
I used heavy duty Velcro strips made with high temp sticky backing. found it at Walmart I think, made by 3M. Then I can remove the light if I want to. The small round motion sensor LED lights can be bought from SuperBrightLEDs.com or found on Amazon. they are only around $7 apiece and work great.
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:46 PM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
They are motion activated LED. They are small and turn on automatic when you open the closet. I can not remember where I purchased mi e. Mine takes 3 AAA batteries and last for a really long time. The ones that I have in the closet of the camper have been there for a couple of years on the original batteries and still work. Look at the following Amazon site for a selection of lights.
These might be similar to the "puck lights" that the previous owner had in my Scamp (Walmart has them). They have the closet mode, where their sensor picks up a little bit of the light that comes when you open the door and it turns on. When you close the door, they go off. I found that they did not work in the Scamp cubbyholes because the FG shell allows too much light and they never turn off! Especially on a sunny day. I do use one in the large storage above our bathroom, but in the manual mode, tap it to turn it on or off.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:03 PM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Here is a link with a pretty good description of those things:
Rite Lite Wireless LED Puck Lights, Grey 3 Pk (LPL623XLL) at Aubuchon Hardware
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
3M VHB will hold anything to fiberglass, aluminum to fiberglass, aluminum to aluminum. It's used in aircraft manufacture.
The problem is removal. To remove the item you have to use either dental floss or piano wire. Then it becomes problem removing the residue.
But it will hold.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #19

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I use loctite outdoor mounting tape with success. I also use industrial Velcro and mount things with that, also with great success. I've got a puck light on the reverse side of my cabinet storage door which also kept falling off till I used loctite. I think it may be the fiber backing On those mdf doors coupled with the black paint. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:52 PM   #20

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Here is a link with a pretty good description of those things:
Rite Lite Wireless LED Puck Lights, Grey 3 Pk (LPL623XLL) at Aubuchon Hardware
We had one of these up for three years, good light, and never needed to change batteries. There are many companies making puck lights and we have other kinds. They would all be different as far as amount of light and how well they work.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights