What type of Screws? - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
What type of Screws?

I'm just about ready to install new wood floors in my Scamp. I had Lowe's pre cut the piece's, now all I have to do is use the templet's and I'm good to go.
But the question I have is what type of screws did my fellow campers use when putting in the wood.
I would like to use screws that will be flush with the wood, the wood that I'm using is plywood so I can't counter sink or the wood will just splinter.
Any suggestions, also has anyone considered liquid nails in addition to the screws?

neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
If you bought plywood with voids you could have more problems than just countersinking screws. If you bought plywood without voids counetesinking screws should not be a problem. Get a good countersink tool for drill/driver and away you go.

Using sheet metal pan head screws a brand point drill the size of the screw head will allow a counter bore.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Name: Eddie
Trailer: Casita Indy.
If you are attaching the plywood to the frame I use #10 X 1 7/16 wood to metal screws. They have a self drilling tip but I still drill pilot holes into the wood and metal. The screws are fine thread and self tapping. The heads are flat and they will pull down flush if you use an impact driver.
Regular and especially stainless screws will not take the torque and the will snap off. The screws I use are Phillips II Plus screws but they are no longer carried by Lowes. They had an extra wide head but the ones I bought recently the heads were about the size of a deck screw.
The only place the floor is sealed to the metal around the drop floor. Just an adhesive sealant is fine. In a pinch ALEX will do. You are trying to stop water from coming into the trailer between the floor and frame.
Eddie Longest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
I countersink into plywood all the time (1/8" - 3/4" ply) with my 'stick' builds and never have had a problem. But then again I don't buy my plywood from a 'Big Box Store'. They only sale junk.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
As long as you've adjusted the clutch on your screw gun or drill you shouldn't have a splintering problem. To be on the safe side I'd predrill first and just snug up the screw. I prefer the Roberts head (square head) counter sink screw.
Take a good look under your trailer to be sure you're not piercing any tanks, hoses, lines etc.!!!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote