What wiring harnesses to buy for my car ... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #1

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
What wiring harnesses to buy for my car ...

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of help for a newbie. I need to figure out what wiring harness to buy for my 2007 Forrester to hook up to my (new to me) 70's trillium 4500.

I'm not even sure what the trillium connector is. It is round with a radial set of pins, but I forgot to count them, and forgot to note if they are "blades" or pins. Anyone know?

I ordered this before I knew anything about my new trailer:
Amazon.com: Hopkins 43855 Plug-In Simple Wiring Kit for Subaru Outback 1996-2008/Forester 1998-2008: Automotive
and this looks insufficient at best

Any tips?

--Fred
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddo411 View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of help for a newbie. I need to figure out what wiring harness to buy for my 2007 Forrester to hook up to my (new to me) 70's trillium 4500.

I'm not even sure what the trillium connector is. It is round with a radial set of pins, but I forgot to count them, and forgot to note if they are "blades" or pins. Anyone know?

Amazon.com: Hopkins 43855 Plug-In Simple Wiring Kit for Subaru Outback 1996-2008/Forester 1998-2008: Automotive

Any tips?

--Fred
most likely if your trillium has brakes it will be equipped with an RV plug. That is really irrelevant however to the product which you have ordered. If your Outback doesn't have a factory tow package, you will need the device which you have ordered to provide taillights and turn signals ( a standard 4-Plug) that plug must then be adapted (either by plug-in or splice) to an RV plug on your Subie.
The other outlets must be supplied from other sources like the brake controller, and the battery.
Below is a video of a Pollak brand Truck side plug. There are other brands with simpler hook-ups but this video will at least get you to the point of knowing what questions to ask next!

Pollak Black Plastic, 7-Pole, RV-Style Trailer Socket - Vehicle End Pollak Wiring PK12707
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:14 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddo411 View Post
Hi,

Any tips?

--Fred
As I understand from a friend, the Forester has a connector for trailer lights. It's pretty well hidden and even with the manual it took quite a bit of searching to find. This provides running lights and tail lights, turn signals, and brake lights only. If want a charge line you'll have to add that and if you have trailer brakes there's some wiring will need to be for that.
Good luck.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Most all newer vehicles come wired for every option, including towing. If you pay for the "towing package" they show you where it is hidden <_<

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #5

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
And if you don't have a vehicle w/ a towing package-UHaul will,for a very reasonable fee compared to Toyota, wire your rig for towing,charging,and braking and ,if you need it install a tow bar.-My experience anyway. My mechanic that I have used for years wouldn't tap into the brake system for the electric brake controller but uhaul told me that they did several wiring set ups weekly-do it all the time they said.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #6

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Check out etrailer.com. They not only have the parts you need, but they also have a video showing you how to install it!

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...cleid=20077385

You will need to convert the 4-flat to a round RV plug. Etrailer also has the adapters to do this. In addition to the four standard wires (ground, left turn/brake, right turn/brake, and tail lights), the RV plug will also provide 12v for charging your camper's battery and electric brakes. Some trailers also have backup lights, but I don't think any FGRVs do.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We have been thinking about a Forester as our next tow vehicle and as such I did a little research. There is a plug located behind a panel in the rear of the car for the lights and a place to bring the wires out under the spare. That's a pretty easy install. The brake controller is more difficult. Despite the fact that Subaru requires brakes to tow over a 1000 lbs. they don't provide an easy connection. Etrailer and the Subaru Forester forum are both good sources of information. As a newbie you might want to have it installed this time. Watch what they do so next time you can do it yourself. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #8

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
We have been thinking about a Forester as our next tow vehicle and as such I did a little research. There is a plug located behind a panel in the rear of the car for the lights and a place to bring the wires out under the spare. That's a pretty easy install. The brake controller is more difficult. Despite the fact that Subaru requires brakes to tow over a 1000 lbs. they don't provide an easy connection. Etrailer and the Subaru Forester forum are both good sources of information. As a newbie you might want to have it installed this time. Watch what they do so next time you can do it yourself. Good luck, Raz
Good advice for me. I have two foresters.

I did pay to have an install, mostly so I could get it done in 1 hour and get on to the business of retrieving my new-to-me trill.

Thanks for all the replies.

--Fred
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
If you don't mind me asking, what did they do and what did it cost? I suspect there are folks that would find that information useful. Good luck with your new Trillium. Raz

P.s. Pictures of new arrivals are always welcome!
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote