What year is it? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Jackie's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Posts: 190
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
When I bought my Scamp, I was told - and the paperwork stated - that it is a 1977. However, I just sanded down the tongue to paint, and came across a metal plate that has the ID # on it...74____ I had heard that Scamp used the mfg year as part of the ID. So, is it actually a 1974?
__________________

__________________
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
jaye580's Avatar
 
Name: Jaye
Trailer: Scamp
Maine
Posts: 253
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to jaye580
Quote:
When I bought my Scamp, I was told - and the paperwork stated - that it is a 1977. However, I just sanded down the tongue to paint, and came across a metal plate that has the ID # on it...74____ I had heard that Scamp used the mfg year as part of the ID. So, is it actually a 1974?

go here http://scamp.n0kfb.org/VIN_Decoding/VIN-Decoding.htm and you should be able to figure it out.

Jaye
__________________

__________________
Owner of the "Treasure Chest"
see my past projects here:
http://jayes2scamps.shutterfly.com/
http://www.facebook.com/jayeded
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Dan Meyer's Avatar
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Posts: 559
Quote:
go here http://scamp.n0kfb.org/VIN_Decoding/VIN-Decoding.htm and you should be able to figure it out.
My VIN decoder only works for 17 digit VIN's, which the vehicle manufacturers began using in the late 70's or early 80's. I do not know when Scamp began using 17 digit VIN's.

If your Scamp uses an earlier VIN, I would suggest taking the information on the title at face value, or call Scamp to find out what year is was built.

-- Dan Meyer
__________________
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
jaye580's Avatar
 
Name: Jaye
Trailer: Scamp
Maine
Posts: 253
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to jaye580
Quote:
My VIN decoder only works for 17 digit VIN's, which the vehicle manufacturers began using in the late 70's or early 80's. I do not know when Scamp began using 17 digit VIN's.

If your Scamp uses an earlier VIN, I would suggest taking the information on the title at face value, or call Scamp to find out what year is was built.

-- Dan Meyer

Good point... I just checked the VIN on my 78 and it is only 6 digits long!!!
__________________
Owner of the "Treasure Chest"
see my past projects here:
http://jayes2scamps.shutterfly.com/
http://www.facebook.com/jayeded
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Jackie, the VIN on my 1988 is 17 digits...but, none of the numbers are two 8's in a row (88). In fact, there are two 8's, but the two numbers are separated by seven other digits.

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Dan Meyer's Avatar
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Posts: 559
Hi Donna

If your Scamp has a 17 digit VIN, and it's a 1988 model, the 10th digit will be a "J".

I can even tell you that your vin is almost certainly: 1S7R1610(X)J0(XXXXXX) - I don't know what the characters are within the (x)'s.

-- Dan Meyer
__________________
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
Hi Donna

If your Scamp has a 17 digit VIN, and it's a 1988 model, the 10th digit will be a "J".

-- Dan Meyer
Nope, the 10th digit is a "I." Got that info right off the Title.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Dan Meyer's Avatar
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Posts: 559
Quote:
Nope, the 10th digit is a "I." Got that info right off the Title.
According to the ISO - the governing standards group that defines many standards - I O and Q are not used in a VIN number. If your VIN has an I as the tenth digit, it is non-standard... and it would not suprise me at all that Scamp didn't use the standard.

Can you check the digits that should be stamped into your frame?

-- Dan Meyer
__________________

__________________
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need to know the year Ricky 4 General Chat 4 01-08-2010 08:39 PM
What Year am I? Robert W. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 25 12-30-2008 08:51 PM
New year in Italy robirob Camping, Campout Reports 3 05-16-2008 09:32 PM
Happy New Year Gerry General Chat 6 01-01-2008 08:22 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.